A New NFL Farm League?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 21, 2014.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From PFT:

2. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

So you're telling me, Vince Young May still have a chance?

3. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

Yes, they are bringing one here in Austin, called The Texas Outlaws, (how original) and its owned by Tommie Harris the ex Chicago bear/ local HS star.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Unless FXFL can give him a great opportunity and something guaranteed (his words), the dream is over.

And the obligatory :vincepalm:

5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

They should make it like the XFL with players getting to choose their names on their backs and with slutty cheerleaders and races to the ball instead of kickoffs. Could be highly entertaining!

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I like this. I'd watch it.

7. Giant Tiger

Giant Tiger Hall of Fame

Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO Wor
    Actually, he didn't go far enough with his idea :stirpot: I remember reading a short story in high school about a sport called Combat Football. It was a new football league that couldn't compete with the NFL, so they adjusted the rules. The players just wore rugby uniforms & any player could punch or kick any other player. I just can't remember the name of the story :brickwall:

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

My source tells me he is on short list to be a future head coach of Texas.

9. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Drag your source out, beat him, drown him bury him and then do it all again for good measure.

Mike

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

There is a relatively new violent sport that uses American Football offensive formations. Armored Combat League - Full Contact Steel Weapon Sport

Click on the video in the left upper hand of the link.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

I wish that NFL teams had minor league teams kind of like the NBADL or Baseball's minor league system.

Somewhere they could draft players and send them to if they weren't ready, but still hold their rights...Maybe even increase the draft by a round or two to fill out the rosters.

The league should still be a step up from college football and I personally would be interested in watching some young prospects that we have develop and possibly get a call up if they are playing well. Could have guys learning and playing in our system already which would make the NFL transition that much more smooth.

12. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

I wish the league was in the spring. I think there's a place for a spring league.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I just can't make myself be interested in another football league. I kind of keep up with my high school teams progress, follow a bunch of Texas-based college teams to varying degrees, watch Alabama because my family is from there and my dad was a big fan, sort of keep up with Auburn by association and because my grandmother was the family "War Eagle", watch the Texans a lot and the Steelers a little on the NFL level.

Sometimes it's enough already and you just want the season to start. I don't want anymore football. I just want the season to start. Spring football doesn't really work for me. I'm not sure why. I liked the Gamblers for a couple of years but I didn't really have that buzz going like I did during football season. I doubt I ever will.

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'm staying at the quality over quantity hacienda also

15. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Yep. I'm at the point in my life, with a burgeoning career and two young boys, that I don't even have time to follow NCAA football like I did, much less another league.

With respect to the whole "feeder system" idea as a whole, I'm not buying into it. The NCAA is ubiquitous enough that the vast, vast majority of NFL quality talents will make it through. I don't think the 1% that slip through the cracks justify a whole new feeder league.

16. Double Barrel

I'm waiting it out for this league:

[​IMG]

17. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

I've always thought that a developmental league like NFL Europe would have been much more successful had they had it here, in the spring, in cities that don't have NFL teams like San Antonio, OKC, Birmingham, Portland, Los Angeles, Jacksonville, etc. and I still don't know why it can't work.

The interest for football here is year round, and though it wouldn't be like the NFL in the fall with the level of play, or where you get invested like we do in a team or whatever, there would be interest in following certain players.

Have 8 developmental teams, each representing a division. The Birmingham Alabamians would represent the AFC South. Indy, Houston, Possum Holler and J-ville supply 12-13 players each to make up that team. Out of the 90 or so you have at the start of training camp, this shouldn't be a problem.

This way, these bubble players that you really hope make the team but don't make the cut, stay with the organization and get coached up and get playing experience.

You have to have it in the spring though because you don't want to go up against the NFL or NCAA. No one will be interested in seeing the OKC Dustypants playing if OU is playing too.

Thorn and Vinny like this.
  18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I like your ideas Speedy. I'm all for a minor league NFL rules spring league that does truly function as a developmental league.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

I agree. Pretty much the same thing I was getting at with my earlier post.

I would definitely watch a spring developmental league. They could/do off-season train during the fall and just be ready for call ups if needed. Their season starts in the spring.

20. Double Barrel

I agree completely. Spring is desolate as far as sports goes for me. The only sport I watch is football, so a chance to see some of it in the spring would be fantastic.

And it would give NFLN something to actually talk about instead of Johnny Manziel's vapid social life.