Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A mock with us going a different direction

V Man

Pumpkinhead
http://www.draftwisdom.com/firstroundcontinued.html

18. Keith Rivers, OLB, USC

The Texans need help at numerous positions but shouldn't get caught up on one. Rivers has the most value at this position in the first round and they should be targeting linebacker help. They need to get much better on defense if they are going to move closer to a winning environment. They will be able to take a talented Runningback in round two or three.

Previous Revision: Felix Jones, Runningback, Arkansas

This is the first one that I have seen without us taking a DB, OL or RB. I wouldn't hate this one, plus would probably be the end of Greenwood.

What do you think?

More info on him

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2008/showplayer.php?key=Keith%20Rivers

HEIGHT 6'2"
WEIGHT 241
40 TIME 4.58
Draft Exchange Analysis:
Rivers is an elite athlete with the speed and insticts to make impact plays. He is a well built outside linebacker who finds the ball quickly, moves through traffic with ease and has the speed to chase down anyone from the backside. He is adept at making tackles on runs at him and breaks up passes in man-to-man and zone coverage. Rivers, no doubt, has the tools to be a three-down linebacker in the NFL. He will be a high first-round pick in April.

I wouldn't hate this one, plus would probably be the end of Greenwood.

What do you think?

I wouldn't think it would be the end of Greenwood, heck..the guy has been quietly one of our best defensive players.

Playing next to Demeco is another thing.

If the board falls correctly and they can't move down....I wouldn't be totally shocked. Only they know what they have with the two LBs (UFAs signed: LB Kevin Bentley. UFA signed: LB Chaun Thompson) they bought this off season. If they are anything like Greenwood , they will need some seasoning.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/STATS/NFL_LiveScores.htm?link=rosters&id=34

I don't beleive Demeeco reads well enough to play outside.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+South/Houston/Team+Reports/2008/DraftNeeds.htm
Needs on defense: CB Dunta Robinson (knee/hamstring) is expected to miss the start of the season, so the Texans may look to bolster the depth at that position. Houston has long needed a playmaking safety, too. The Texans have young stars at defensive end (Mario Williams) and defensive tackle (Amobi Okoye) but could use some young, talented players behind them.

When they send five or six... no one gets there. Been that way for awhile.

Rivers is a pick who is all over the board. mocksters everywhere are trying to find a home for him, but its not going to be Houston :logo: either

At this point we still need top notch guys all over the field. Paing DeMeco with another young stud LB would have us set for the next 10 years. If that were to happen I would expect our 3rd LB spot to be an "open" slot; i.e. guys are going to duke it out every year and we're not going to invest high picks/money into it.

This guy's bio reads well enough (cover, run, tackle in space) - I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Has every draftnick and their mom forgot about the Supplemental draft pick Jared Gaither by the Ravens last year? First round talent and they got him for what a fourth?

Otah to Denver?! In Bizarro world perhaps.

I'm not a draftnick by any standards but they need to stop trying to out think or draft each other. Look at team needs, take combine results, factor in early FAs and keep in mind what each team wants to do on both sides of the ball. It is more art then science and someone every year does make an unexpected jump to shuffles the board.

Far as Keith Rivers goes would i be opposed to see him in a Texans uniform? Not really but do I think it'll happen? No. I see the Saints and Bengals as likely destinations.

I think this mock might be close on the Lions though. Looking at their ends they do look weak.

At this point we still need top notch guys all over the field. Paing DeMeco with another young stud LB would have us set for the next 10 years. If that were to happen I would expect our 3rd LB spot to be an "open" slot; i.e. guys are going to duke it out every year and we're not going to invest high picks/money into it.

This guy's bio reads well enough (cover, run, tackle in space) - I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Made me think of us Ryans and Rivers looking like the Bears Urlacher and Briggs. Wouldn't hate it.

I'm not sure how much to trust their pick when they say we can take a RB with our picks in Rd 2 or 3. No Rd 2.

Yea that is interesting.
Lets take this scenario: we know the Texans from a primary need perspective are looking at OLT & CB & RB with secondary needs at DLine & salety.
Say nobody is available at the primary or even secondary need positions
that they value as higher than a 2nd rounder.
OK and lets also say that even though they aren't targeting a LB, they think so highly of Rivers that their own internal rankings have him at #6 overall. And nobody will trade with them so they can move back.
OK far out scenario I agree, but in that situation I'd say BPA definitely trumps need ?

I would be surprised to see a LB taken. Then again every year the draft throws out surprises so who am I to say.

Hate to sound like a patsie but I trust that whoever the FO takes will be the right guy, they are batting a pretty high percentage so far.

id love to have rivers on the texans. he is probably the only LB worth us getting in the first round though (except for gholston who clearly wont be there). i believe there is a decent chance of it happening as well. gibbs might tell smith that he can turn late round OL into studs, it looks as though were working out a lot of late round corners and dunta expects to come back sooner than we thought, we resigned all 3 of our safeties and signed ferguson, i think tompson and bentley will be depth and special teams guys at best unfortunately, and i have faith in a healthy chris brown with 3 other capable guys around him. that leaves OLB as our next glaring hole. rivers fills that beautifully.
id be real happy with rivers in the first, an LT/corner in the 3rd, a LT/corner in the 4th, and perhaps a pass rushing DE in the 6th, and maybe a guard in the 7th.

I don't like criticizing mocks too much because I'm glad that they are out there. Better a bad mock than no mock.

Frankly, I don't think that Rivers is outlandish if Long/Clady/Williams/Otah are off the board at 18. Albert and Stewart are still there, as are Talib/Cason/Jenkins. Albert played guard in college, Stewart has an injury, and there are decidedly mixed opinions on the three corners. If Rivers is as good as, say, Patrick Willis, I would not have many complaints.

But that points to the big question in my mind: what do we do in the worst case draft scenario?

As of today, I see the following players as locks to be taken before 18:
Chris Long
Jake Long
McFadden
Gholston
Dorsey
S. Ellis
Ryan (maybe not a 100% lock, but close enough).

That's seven picks, leaving 10 before ours. I definitely think two corners will be chosen before us, but opinions on which two vary wildly. That's 9 picks.

I've seen only a tiny number of mocks that have Clady going 18 or later, so let's add him. That's 10 picks with 7 to go.

What if those seven other picks are Williams, Otah, Albert, two more cornerbacks, Stewart and Mendenhall.

Thus, we are left with the top 4 CB's and OTs (plus Albert) off the board along with the top 3 tailbacks. Rather than identifying the 4 CBs, just assume that it is your top 4.

Assume further that nobody wants to trade with us and we're stuck at 18.

Under that scenario, Rivers would be extremely tempting. Same with Merling/Harvey. Or is your fifth-best CB the call?

Keith Rivers would be a terrific pick up. Too bad he won't be there. Not even close. We're talking about a guy who was one of the top 10 players coming out of high school and has showed that he can live up to the hype. Easily one of the top 5 defensive players in the draft. No way Rivers makes it to the Texans.

I will always be sour when looking to add a 1st round LB next to demeco after passing on P-Willie.

With that said, I've heard mixed things about Keith Rivers. If the good is true, it sounds like we'd have a great athlete next to Demeco. I think our staff is not only committed to building the DL up but the Front 7 in general.

What would be the three LB's we'd have starting?

I think a better analogy would be:
Keith Rivers is to Patrick Willis as
Ryan Clady is to Joe Thomas.

I would be happy if we selected him at 18. Hell, it'd be stealing to get a top 10 talent at 18. But we really wouldn't solve our secondary issue, so it's a bittersweet pick.

Willis is in the MLB spot and will have more tackles by nature, but I feel that Rivers is the better actual LB. Rivers could play either SAM or WILL for us. I threw the idea out there months ago and was shot down though.

I'm salivating right now over the two MLB's coming out of USC and tOSU. I would have no problem moving Demeco back to OLB for one of those two guys. Closest things to Ray Lewis (USC) and Urlacher (tOSU) we have seen since or will see for a while.

what two MLB you talking about? laurinaitis next year? and maualuga next year?

and ray lewis went to the U man

I'm well aware of where the players go and the past players went. I was giving an NFL comparison, not saying they are from the same school. When projecting where these guys to the NFL, many and most draft professionals will use the maximum upside each player seems to have. Laurinaitis should have come out this year, but he is going to be similar to Urlacher in style. Maualuga hits you harder than anyone in the nation. He is a big bodied MLB that loves to hit you and is insanely athletic, similar to what Ray Lewis was when he was younger.

USC had their Pro-Day yesterday & Rivers repotedly ran a 4.5 forty & had a 42" vertical. hope this solidifies him as a top 15 pick & that pushes down a LT or CB Texans way :)

I don't like criticizing mocks too much because I'm glad that they are out there. Better a bad mock than no mock.

Frankly, I don't think that Rivers is outlandish if Long/Clady/Williams/Otah are off the board at 18. Albert and Stewart are still there, as are Talib/Cason/Jenkins. Albert played guard in college, Stewart has an injury, and there are decidedly mixed opinions on the three corners. If Rivers is as good as, say, Patrick Willis, I would not have many complaints.

But that points to the big question in my mind: what do we do in the worst case draft scenario?

As of today, I see the following players as locks to be taken before 18:
Chris Long
Jake Long
McFadden
Gholston
Dorsey
S. Ellis
Ryan (maybe not a 100% lock, but close enough).

That's seven picks, leaving 10 before ours. I definitely think two corners will be chosen before us, but opinions on which two vary wildly. That's 9 picks.

I've seen only a tiny number of mocks that have Clady going 18 or later, so let's add him. That's 10 picks with 7 to go.

What if those seven other picks are Williams, Otah, Albert, two more cornerbacks, Stewart and Mendenhall.

Thus, we are left with the top 4 CB's and OTs (plus Albert) off the board along with the top 3 tailbacks. Rather than identifying the 4 CBs, just assume that it is your top 4.

Assume further that nobody wants to trade with us and we're stuck at 18.

Under that scenario, Rivers would be extremely tempting. Same with Merling/Harvey. Or is your fifth-best CB the call?

Well, there's lot of teams with multipul picks, here's hoping the phone rings before the 18. They gotta fill two straters with two picks.

Back