A Mario Williams Question

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BattleRedToro, Aug 21, 2007.

1. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

Last year Mario Williams was moved around on the Defensive Line, and this year the talk of the coaches is that he will remain at one position, Right Defensive End, throughout the year. This we all know.

In what position was Mario Williams lined up when he was most effective last year?

By effective, I don't just mean the easily measurable statistics like sacks and tackles, but also QB pressures and general disruption to the opposing offenses' play.

I wish I had the means to do this analysis myself but I don't have the games recorded. I would really appreciate it if those that have the games recorded could go back and review his play to determine this and then write their analysis here.

2. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

I'm on leave this week and have all but the cowboys and browns games to go through. I'll probably go through one from the first quarter of the year, one from the 2nd quarter and two from the 3rd and 4th quarters of the season. This is of course permission from the boss dependant.

Mike

3. BattleRedToro

Cool.

Thanks

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

He was over the opponent's right tackle when he blew up Eli Manning. He was over the team's right tackle when he got to Culpepper on back-to-back plays. He was over the opponent's right tackle when he played the Titans here in Houston and had a couple good plays.

I don't know if that's enough to say for sure, but I only remember him flashing when he was over the opponent's right tackle (sometimes with a TE on him as well).

5. real

real Guest

Yeah I was trying to find video on all of those plays...

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I remember it as you do...

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

When we played the Cowboys, he made a couple of good plays on the right side(over the left tackle) that changed JJ's carries.. a couple ended in loss of yards(even though Mario didn't make the tackle), and there were a couple of no gainers.

When we went against the Jets, he punk'd D'brick from the right side as well.

I've seen Mario's ability to get into the backfield, and I don't doubt his abilities one bit. Even from the tackle position. What I question is is football IQ. He's looking to sack the QB when it's obviously a running situation, and he's chasing the RB when it's 3rd & long.

My Point, I'm a Mario fan, but I don't think it's a matter of where we put him, but him knowing where we want him to go.

Errant Hothy likes this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That late hit on Eli was against their Left Tackle.

8. real

real Guest

Think he was talking about the actual sack...which was against their RT...

And the play where he threw the the O-lineman into the RB was against their RT...

9. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Couldn't have said it better myself.

10. real

real Guest

Ummm....there were plenty of occasions where Mario was rushing the passer on passing situations and just plain couldn't get there...looked like he knew what was going on to me...

There was one play against the cardinals where he did a stunt inside and the RB stepped up and darn near buckled Mario to his knees...

I do admit that he looks confused at times, but I think there were plenty instances in which he was clearly trying to rush the passer but just did a poor job of doing so...I mean, how hard is it to recognize a passing situation ? How hard is it to see the O-lineman pass blocking? It's either one of two things...a draw..or a pass play...I heard the D-lineman get to call their own stunts, and I'm not sure how he is doing this if he's unaware of game situations...

Saying that it's his "football IQ" as the reason why he hasn't shown much is suggesting that there is a quick/easy/understandable fix....I've seen Mario go off as well, but I need to see a little more from the guy....I'm worried about our pass rush, because I just dread the day Anthony Weaver is put in the starting line-up as the other DE...Mario needs to do more...

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Mario's skill set is of a strong side DE....the only reason we don't have him plugged in there is because Weaver may be less of a weak side edge rusher than Mario is and we invested a ton of jack in him...and in Mario. It sad, but we are still at the mercy of bad FA signings.

12. real

real Guest

I agree 100%.

13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Yeah i remember that play,:mad:

14. BattleRedToro

How much is Jason Babin being paid to sit? Is it more or less than Weaver is being paid? If Babin is being paid more then Weaver then some decent reporter should be a little tough with Coach Kubiak and GM Smith, and ask them why they don't play Babin at RDE , move Mario to LDE, and rotate Weaver in off of the bench.

15. BattleRedToro

My point to this whole thread was that through analysis we might be able to derive a conclusion as to what position Mario was most productive at last year, and then the next question would be why he was most productive there. Finally, we might be able to present our conclusions in a form of questions to someone like John McClain. I really don't care who takes credit for it. I only want the Texans to put Mario in the position to perform his best, which should also make the entire defense perform their best.

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

EDIT: The format here is: Name, Year signed through, Base salary, Allocated Bonus, 2007 Cap.

Weaver, Anthony 2010 $2,500,000 $1,206,720 $3,706,720
    Williams, Mario 2011* $975,000 $2,406,720 $3,381,720
    Johnson, Travis 2011 $435,000 $996,220 $1,431,220
    Babin, Jason 2009 $735,503 $691,667 $1,427,170
    Zgonina, Jeff 2008 $825,000 $131,720 $956,720
    Maddox, Anthony 2007 $510,000 $31,720 $541,720
    Kalu, N.D. 2007 $720,000 $46,720 $481,720
    Killings, Cedric 2007 $720,000 $46,720 $481,720
    Johnson, Thomas 2007 $435,000 $6,720 $441,720
    Bulman, Tim 2007 $360,000 $6,720 $366,720
    Malone, Alfred 2007 $360,000 $6,720 $366,720
    Cochran, Earl 2007 $285,000 $6,720 $291,720

That's the defensive line except for Okoye.

From http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

17. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The * on Mario's number...

thanks for the work Keith

18. BattleRedToro

And people complain that they overpay Mario Williams? $3.7 Million for Anthony Weaver and he recorded 1 sack last year.

19. BattleRedToro

Another question that remains unaswered is, is the Texans Defense better with Mario at LDE and Babin at RDE, or Weaver at LDE and Mario at RDE?

20. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I would say that on running dows it is the 2nd option on passing downs it is the first option.