A&M & Miami

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by JayCee, Sep 20, 2007.

1. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

Tomorrow morning the Texas A&M Miami game is televised here live.

Which players should I look out for?

2. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I think that this might be a good game. Neither team really looks like they've got a defense at this point, so I expect a high score.

I watched Miami get blown out by OU a few weeks ago and nobody really stood out that week. Maybe because the game was so boring, I kept switching to the other games. They don't have their names on their jerseys this year either, so that doesn't help.

The A&M offense looks like they'll produce some NFL players someday. I watched A&M play the same day against Fresno State and Jervorskie Lane seems like the guy that really stands out to me. He's the type of runner that gets the tough yards and tries to lay out tacklers. They alternate him with Mike Goodson, who's more of a finesse RB. It seems like they use those guys the same way that USC used Reggie Bush and Lendale White.

Stephen McGee is a pretty dangerous QB. He has a pretty good connection with Martellus Bennett (the TE.) He can make plays with his legs too.

I'm sure some of our Aggie friends around here could tell you more.

How are the All-Blacks looking this year?

3. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Actually Mr. White summed that up pretty well...

On defense, I like Dodge. He's a great story!! He served in the United States Army in the "Old Guard" which is an elite unit. Anyway, he was stationed at the Pentagon when 9/11 occurred. Oh, and he's a pretty good LB too.

4. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

That was a pretty good review of our team thus far. We have a few standouts on defense, but our secondary is a problem. They are a bunch of very physical guys, and we are pretty darn effective against the run. The passing game is a huge concern of mine.

Defensive players of note include LB Mark Dodge, a tackling machine who is always in the action, and defensive end Michael Bennett, who has made some big plays.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Since Mr. White mentioned Martellus Bennett and TexansLucky mentioned Michael Bennett - don't get confused. Yes, they are brothers, but one is offense and one plays "D".

6. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Some Miami guys to watch out for:

QB Kyle Wright - he's got some talent but he is very inconsistent. There's a good chance that his play will determine which team wins.

RB - Javarris James - had 802 rushing yards & 5 TDs as a true freshman last year. This year he is getting 5.3 YPC & has 2 TDs.

RB - Graig Cooper - has 190 yards & 1 TD so far this year as a true freshman.

DE - Calais Campbell - 12 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, & 1 INT this year. Potentially the top DE prospect in the nation. 16 career sacks (11 last year).

S - Kenny Phillips - 25 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 FF, 1 INT. Potentially the top S prospect in the nation. 6 career INTs.

7. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

Miami fan here.

um, don't worry about anyone except the RB's. Phillips is grossly overrated, i'm still waiting for him to play a game where he lives up to his potential. everyone that says he's better than Sean Taylor or Ed Reed....pppppffffttttttt, those guys won games almost on their own. Campbell is a beast, but we got a 2005 NC State-type d-line. focus on Campbell too much and someone else will get ya

James and Cooper, however, are good for 100 yards a piece if given the carries. but that may not even happen, as our OC is an *****.

A&M wins by 3 touchdowns at least

8. TexansLucky13

I guess I didn't know how bad it was in Miami. I expected this to be our first test, considering the nature of the game (Thursday night, our first away game).

If they can't activate a passing game (and it seems you don't think they will be able to), they won't win this game. The only teams who will beat us this year are those who can pass effectively and spread out our defense.

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Are you predicting losses to Texas Tech & Texas???

10. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i really have no reason at all to think they can pass effectively against anyone. couldn't do it against Marshall or FIU for the love of pete

however, i will point out the simple fact that Miami has always been extremely pumped up for primetime games, so they'll be putting their best game forward

11. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

I have a friend here who is a Big UM fan. If UM can hold the front seven against the run this could be an interesting game.While McGee is tough as they come his passing skills are suspect.

Miami has the talent of course, the problem has been inconsistent QB play since Ken Dorsey left. Once coach Shannons gets that done this team will be up there again...until then well they'll be up and down.

12. JayCee

JayCee Veteran

Thanks for the info guys - looking forward to watching the game. More often than not I enjoy college more than the NFL.

Mr White - the rugby world cup is on at the moment (if you didn't know) so it's going to be incredibility nervous times as we get closer to the business end of the tournament.
    The All Blacks have been dominating world rugby for the last 4 years, so if we don't win the cup this year, then we're never going to win it. Our old foe South Africa are looking good, and it looks like we'll be meeting them in the final if results go as planned - they are the only team that has beaten us every year in the last 4 years (we play Aussie and South Africa 3 times a year).

13. CLTEXAN_FAN

CLTEXAN_FAN Veteran

The thing with McGee is that he was a top rated passing quarterback in high school, he can throw the ball but Fran never opens the playbook. I hate the fact that Fran was susposed to be this great offense mastermind when they brought him in and we have been running this same crappy predictable crap since he got here. I never thought I would say I wish we were still running Slocums offense. Yeah I said it. Our offense is boring and predictable.
    We will go out there tonight and run a bunch of options and halfback delays out of the shotgun formation. Lane and Goodson are great running backs but if Miami can figure out how to stop the run like Fresno St. did, we could be in for a long night. I say Aggies win 31-24!

And for the guys who were talking about Dodge, he is a machine. Leads the team in tackles and is one of the toughest football players I have ever seen. During the Fresno St. game he got helped off the field twice and was back in there twice limping around and all wraped up. He is a modern day Gladiator.

Gig'em

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

game time!

15. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Looks like A&M isnt ready.

16. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

the Miami O line looks like it is more physical than the Aggie D line so far.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Miami gets an 18 play drive for a TD on their first possesion.

18. TexansLucky13

Texas Tech will be one of our hardest games. I will be highly surprised if we win that one. We just don't match up against them very well at all.

I am not worried about Texas.

Yep, they did good. Our guys definitely need to wake up if they want to take the W tonight.

19. TexansLucky13

Did you see that block??? I LOVE IT!

20. TexansLucky13

The Ags don't even look like they want to be there. We need a huge play to boost our morale, otherwise this game is done. They just need to play some football.

(and as I type this, we get a sack for an 11 yard loss)