A look at Texans "46" defensive front.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by LZ, Sep 3, 2009.

1. LZ

LZ Veteran

Here is a link to my football newsletter which has a "film session" section towards the bottom where I take a look at the Texans use of the "46 defense".

One of the reasons that they utilize it, according to a team insider I spoke with, is because Gary Kubiak has had the Texans practice against that front since it is the hardest defense for zone teams to run against. I guess the Texans have decided to incorporate it more often now since more and more teams are including zone packages into their running game.

There is a TON of college football in the newsletter this week but obviously I'll have more pro football info once next week starts. I hope you enjoy the look at the 46.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19407504/2009-View-Week-One

drewmar74 and Wolf like this.
  2. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Man, I'd love to see more of that. I really miss the 46 defense the Oilers played under Buddy.

3. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

What are we supposed to do here LZ?

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Nice analysis, LZ. I dig the 46 when you have the players to pull it off successfully, but like you mentioned, it is risky against the pass. And considering the state of our CBs and safeties, it might even be riskier. But I like the aggressive play calling that Bush is putting out there, so hopefully we'll see some major run-stuffing by this defense.

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I love the 46. I always choose it in the NFL head Coach games.

6. pbat488

pbat488 gig 'em

Good read, thanks Lance.

7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I was starting to wonder if anyone else noticed how poor our secondary is at run support. Are we ever going to get a safety that can defend the pass and is aggressive in run support? In eight years we have never had one that could do both equally as well. Sad!

Someone needs to plant some drugs in Taylor Mays gym bag before next years draft.

8. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I imagine that if you have a fast DE like Mario or Barwin then there's not much risk of a downfield pass, but TE screens or slot receivers are going to be a problem.

That said, I still like this formation for our front seven.

9. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

Nice info LZ.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Doesn't the 46 defense incorporate a "Jack" LB who replaces the SAM? & I thought what made the 46 distinguishable, was that the Jack & the Will played on the strong side?

I know it's only wikipedia, but their description sounds more like what I remembered.

Mario should be where Adibi is. Ready to rush from the weakside. Amobi & Antonio should switch places, with your strondside DE lined up over the Strongside Guard. Adibi should be where Diles is, and Diles should be where Mario is.

...........TE... OT..OG..C..OG..OT.........

[​IMG]

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

From Scout.com

12. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

eh, i like the way Bush used it more. it spreads out the lb's more so that they can't just run the ball toward them. if i'm reading into this right (and please correct me if i am) the point of this D is to free up DeMeco and allow him to make the play on the ball. i like the idea of it but i'd rather have our big guys anchoring the line at different points and not just used as block-takers.

thunderkyss likes this.
  13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

With 6 men on the LOS.... and Demeco bust'n a$$ all over the field, you may be right. With our personel, this formation may be the way to go. With Mario out there, outside the strongside.... that may change the TEs responsibilty, and keep him from releasing......

You're right, maybe this is an evolution of the 46.

14. LZ

LZ Veteran

I think the 46 could be a nod to the fact that the Texans realize they might not be able to sit in their base defense and stop the run and they will probably have to scheme it up a little more than they did last year.

15. LZ

LZ Veteran

It's just a different alignment. It basically involves covering up the offensive linemen and getting your MLB running free while dropping a safety in the box as well. Don't get too worked up over the Wiki page.

16. LZ

LZ Veteran

It isn't about just occupying blockers just to free up one LB, it is also about making it tough to get to the second level for offensive linemen which is the key to blocking 8 in the box. In fact, it is the only way to block 8 in the box and when you take the 2nd level blocking away from the offensive line, it makes it VERY tought to run. Down side is obviously the big plays through the passing game since many teams will check to something else if they see you in the 46.

FirstTexansFan likes this.
  17. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

While i like the aggresiveness. This is putting a LOT of stress on an average FS (Wilson)

18. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Fixed that for ya.

19. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Kinda explains why Demeco was making all the tackles while the other LBs were tied up.

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

very nice stuff Lance....You better have good tacklers and good safety play if you are going to run 46 looks. There isn't much margin for error if a lineman breaks into the second level. Fisher has always put a premium on quality S play.