A list of Kubiak's mistakes.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by wagonhed, Jan 1, 2010.

1. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Obviously the hot topic this season has been Kubiak's job.

I was wondering if we could perhaps compile a list of all of the mistakes he has made this season. Maybe it seems pointless to some people, and that's fine. If we had a list of all the mistakes he made this year, we could consider all sorts of things, like how many of those we expect him to correct, how many a new coach could correct quickly, and how many of them he has failed to and probably will continue to fail to correct. We can also take a look at some of the other head coaches and see if they make the same kind of mistakes, and how often.

This thread isn't designed just to make Kubiak look bad. All coaches make mistakes. It's true that many of us, including myself, feel that he has made way too many mistakes, but maybe that will turn out to be untrue if we look at the big picture. Everyone likes to point to the players and say "they are playing, they are the ones making the mistakes", because we can see Slaton fumble, or DR miss a tackle. But I would argue that Kubiak himself has made many, many important mistakes, that are not attributable to the players.

Here are some off the top of my head:

- not addressing SS in the offseason
    - starting Chris Myers all year
    - not interviewing DC candidates
    - consistently failing to properly utilize Jacoby Jones
    - barely playing JJ at WR
    - giving Chris Brown carries all year
    - ignoring Moats after he proved himself as the best RB on the roster
    - not playing Caldwell early
    - not playing Casey early
    - never getting the ball to Dreessen after OD went down
    - almost never targetting AJ in the end zone
    - almost never trusting the pass in the red zone
    - sticking with a failed "run to set up the pass" scheme
    - refusing to properly utilize our high power passing offense

I know there were some huge mistakes in individual games, mostly with playcalling, some clock management stuff, but I have a terrible time remembering things so other people should list the specific stuff they remember.

2. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Another thread?

Think all of these has been beat to death in the other Kubiak threads - several times over.

3. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Srsly?

4. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Bush? The best candidate? hahahahahhahahaha
    It is on Kubiak that Myers is even on the team. Dude sucks, period.
    It is on Kubiak that Chris Brown was on the team. He even said that Chris Brown was a good back and effective back and that they didn't need to add another running back because they had their guy already in Chris Brown. Dude sucks, period.
    It is on Kubiak that Moats didn't get utilized more than Brown and Slaton. Brown should have been cut the day after his fumble against Arizona. If you aren't helping the team, why are you here? All he has done all year is hurt the team, yet he still has a roster spot. Just ridiculous and an indictment of Kubiak's good ole boy persona and methodology.

Is Rick Smith partly to blame? Sure, but Smith is part of Kubiak. Kubiak has the final say because Gary got him the job in the first place.

Personally, I have more of a problem with Gary's gametime decisions/adjustments than any of these mistakes, but there is plenty of blame to go around...from the players, to the coaches, to the owner who tries to nickel and dime his way through Free Agency and Coaching.

Kubiak is what he is. A losing head coach.

5. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

I'm wondering if their is a 12-step program to cure this issue I've been having here of late... my total agreement with everything SH posts...omg! :)

6. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

This is getting ridiculous, and out and out stupid (and yes, if the shoe fits...).

If you want Kubiak gone, you're going to look at everything through those glasses, and all your doing is "self pleasuring" by starting up stupid threads like this.

If you want Kubiak to stay, everything he does can either be characterized as good, unimportant, or not his fault.

I'm sorry, but this is a subject that no matter how you feel, it's perpetuation just makes me have an even lower viewpoint than I already do in regard to the intellect of the average soaper/sunshine brigade member.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    ObsiWan likes this.
  7. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Soapers are strange. :spin:

8. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I somewhat agree. These threads are getting really tiresome. The arguments go round and round and round.

Yawn

9. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Sorry dude, but I think it's just a bit disengenuous to start a thread titled "A list of Kubiak's mistakes" then say "this isn't meant to make him look bad."

Clearly, that's the point of this thread.

10. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

Why would anyone want to do this......again....to anyone?

Enough already.

11. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Agreed. Enough already.
    rep your way.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

As an aside I just want to hear a Soaper's thought, and I won't reply so say all the inflammatory stuff you want:

Do you think that if Kubiak was fired he would land a HC job anywhere?

13. DeMarCushPoll

DeMarCushPoll UDFA

14. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

This is exactly how I feel, and the underlying reason why I don't even bother to post much anymore. If you don't have colored bar of soap in your avatar, then your a ****ing homer. It's just ridiculous.

15. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

no. and he wouldn't have gotten an NFL HC gig from anyone if we hadn't hired him in the first place. he had a shot at College Station a few times, but no one was looking to hire him....

....but we had to hire the local 'hero'. now everyone hold hands and be Houston Proud.

screw Kubiak. 4 years has proven nothing except he is a flatlining loser coach that can't motivate his team

b0ng likes this.
  16. Farough

Farough Site Contributor

I do think he would get a Head Coaching job somewhere. I don't think he's a great coach, but hes not a bad one either. I would say that he's an average coach.

I'm not for or against firing him, I understand that whatever happens after the year is meant to try and get the team to the ultimate goal.. which is a Super bowl..

b0ng and WWJD like this.
  17. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I think Kubiak needs to go but I have to say he probably would get another HC job somewhere else.

Look at Wade.

b0ng likes this.
  18. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Who do you think we should have gotten?

Williams and Gray were the only 4-3 coaches people were seriously talking about that ended up being available. McDermott and Morris were promoted.

Williams has the Saints defense ranked 24, and Gray couldn't even get a coordinator job.

So yes, Bush was the best candidate available.

Myers is a quality backup, but he shouldn't be starting. He's out there because the Texans haven't been able to bring in anyone better.

Maybe you missed where I agreed on Brown? Wash the pink soap out of your eye so you can actually read.

Moats has had 2 or 3 decent games, and one of them was against Buffalol. He's had twice as many bad games, and cost us a win in Indy with his fumble.

Source?

19. False Start

False Start On # 69

Yes, TFA.....I made it up a few years back, lol.

[​IMG]

20. FirstTexansFan

FirstTexansFan The Unknown Fan

I don't hate those with a differing opinion, but I don't think this is a two way street... can we agree to disagree without me having to be labeled as stupid? :)

WWJD likes this.