Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A few reasons not to go QB this year

Xavier Lee
Ryan Perilloux
2006 NY Jets

Both prospects are exceptional talents and great leaders.

The only QB I would even consider drafting 1st round is Russell and he is not even the best QB at LSU.

I really feel that we need to build a more solid team and then plug in our franchise QB. I loved the Jets draft and almost envy them and their guts. They took the best pass blocking LT in years, and the best C in years. They just solidified their OL for a long time and now can cherry pick at the end of the first round for years to come. Pennington had a lot of controversy and is clearly not the QB of the future for the Jets, but he is servicable just like Carr is to us. I see it as the same situation. Granted Curtis Martin is better than Dayne, but they made the smart picks and it is already paying off with a trip to the playoffs this year. Our defense compares favorably to theirs honestly, with few standout players. Vilma = Meco = leaders. The only difference is that they decided to bite the bullet and take the linemen where I really don't think our FO has the guts to do so. We were both bottom feeders last year, and after a draft centered around top OL, they are a playoff team with the same questions at QB and RB they had last year, and an average defense.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Agreed....The Jets were in the perfect situation to do that last year with D'Brick and Mangold..that was awesome. I don't see that happening this year though for any team. Joe Thomas would be awesome but I havn't heard the centers being but like 3rd round talent.

I'm thinking maybe we can pick one of them up in the 3rd round this year. Kalil, mozes, ? But go something like Nelson/Landry 1st, good cb that falls to us in the 2nd barring a free agency pick up.

Next year Sam Baker and who was the other highly touted ol that went back for 1 more year? Is Jared Gaither declaring this year? If we can shore up our defense this year, I think next draft might be a good one for Kubes to pick out some good o-line. We don't need another qb starting except maybe sage for a while until our o-line is settled. if we can get that group together with quality back up we will be set. I'm really excited.

Agreed....The Jets were in the perfect situation to do that last year with D'Brick and Mangold..that was awesome. I don't see that happening this year though for any team. Joe Thomas would be awesome but I havn't heard the centers being but like 3rd round talent.

I'm thinking maybe we can pick one of them up in the 3rd round this year. Kalil, mozes, ? But go something like Nelson/Landry 1st, good cb that falls to us in the 2nd barring a free agency pick up.

Next year Sam Baker and who was the other highly touted ol that went back for 1 more year? Is Jared Gaither declaring this year? If we can shore up our defense this year, I think next draft might be a good one for Kubes to pick out some good o-line. We don't need another qb starting except maybe sage for a while until our o-line is settled. if we can get that group together with quality back up we will be set. I'm really excited.
Gaither, Baker, Long are the top 3 OT's next year.

Gaither is better than Thomas, Baker = Justice, Long is way overrated.

Dan Mosez and Ryan Kailh both fit our system and style very well. I doubt we go OT early, and I feel we will wait a year on Spencer, but I would love to see us draft a top OC and OG this year.

Mosez/Kailh/Datish at OC

Grubbs/Manuel from TT/Blaylock/Duckworth at OG

Free/Harris/Staley if we MUST draft a OT. I don't see any outside of JT being worth a top pick and none really jump out to me at this point. Gaither is a stud and I'll pimp him till next year no doubt. We need interior OL though because Hodgen and McKinney are not NFL starters and only backups on the Texans, not any other team.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
We have our bookends in Spencer and Winston. We have a solid G in Pitts and a servicable one in Weary. C is a position of need. The Broncos netted Greg Eslinger in the 6th, and he could very well be their C of the future. We can do the same, possibly with Kalil from USC. In the first day, if we can get C and/or G, we can have a nice line to build upon. BPA comes into effect, and I hope the BPA is Leon Hall. They said he has the most PBUs in Michigan history, which boastes past corners such as Charles Woodson and Ty Law.

We have our bookends in Spencer and Winston. We have a solid G in Pitts and a servicable one in Weary. C is a position of need. The Broncos netted Greg Eslinger in the 6th, and he could very well be their C of the future. We can do the same, possibly with Kalil from USC. In the first day, if we can get C and/or G, we can have a nice line to build upon. BPA comes into effect, and I hope the BPA is Leon Hall. They said he has the most PBUs in Michigan history, which boastes past corners such as Charles Woodson and Ty Law.
But they both excelled at at least one area, while Hall excells at nothing really but is solid across the board.

I would love to net Grubbs and a OC like Mosez or Kailh and have real competition. Weary could start at OC until he is beaten out. Grubbs is good enough IMO to beat out Pitts at OG and certinally beat out any other OG we have on our roster.

I wouldn't say we have our bookends. Spencer may never play again, and it's unlikely at this point he will become what he could have been. Winston has not played up to hype and even I bought into it last year. He has proven nothing at this point an may wind up as a career swing OT or above average OG. Nothing I reel confident about heading into next year w/our Oline.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
Winston was more of a liability than a T a few weeks ago, but like a rookie, he has gotten better. As far as Spencer, I've heard reports dooming him and some saying it's a simple break and heal. At this point, the worst I expect is a loss of mobility that puts him at RG, which would then make LT our need, a much more expensive need. I like Winston to stay on the right side, at RT or RG, depending on Spencer.

As far as Hall, I think he makes or brakes his draft position based on what goes on from the bowl game on. The way he plays, I would expect him to be more of an Antrell Rolle or Dunta Robinson than a Carlos Rodgers or Pac Man in that the transition to the pro game will be quicker.