A different strategy for the Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

What if the Texans just said the hell with finding a great QB, and just did everything possible to stack their defense to create another Ravens/Bucs/Broncos style team? Since they already have a great defense, they might not be that far off from creating a defensive unit this good. They suck at finding QB's any way. Maybe they just keep the trash they have, and draft some guy in the later rounds, and improve the Oline for a better rushing attack, but focus primarily on creating one of those all defensive teams

I was thinking, and this wouldn't be the worst idea considering how bad the Texans are at finding QB's. I don't really want them to do this, but what are the odds that Smith makes an aggressive push to trade for one, or that OB would find one after all this time?

I know that most people would be against this, but based on this team's management it actually wouldn't be the worst strategy in the world.

2. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

If JJ and Kevin Johnson were healthy this defense would be in the GOAT category.

Uncle Rico likes this.
  3. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

If your going to deliberately ignore the qb position you'd better...

Have great in-game coaching
    (We don't have that)

Have a dominant run game
    (We don't have that)

Have fantastic special teams
    (We don't have that)

Next year oz and savage will both be here. Draft another. Build your offensive line. Try to minimize free agent loses and "sustain" defensive success. If we can get the o-line in order in one off-season i think that might be the time to steer towards your strategy of building the most terrifying defense the league has ever seen. That doesn't prohibit us from taking a yearly shot at a 2nd-4th round qb till we get lucky.

HOU-TEX, vupac1, Mangler and 8 others like this.
  4. Max

Max Veteran

Better than we are now, but still not close to GOAT -- 85 bears? Add a hall of fame ILB to the mix and maybe top 20-30 (being generous). We don't generate the dominant pass rush that GOAT teams have even with JJ back.

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

I could get behind this philosophy, it has a proven track record. At full strength this defense could have been special, what about get healthy and maybe attract a high profile defender via free agency? (Typing without researching our cap situation and available players- just spitballing)

Leaves you with the flexibility on draft day to go best available.

6. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

While I get the reasoning, I want the competitive sustainability of a legit quarterback. Even if that means the continuing trial and error in finding one.

And it'd be nice to watch aesthetically pleasing football for a change.

ROO, paycheck71, KA4Texan and 2 others like this.
  7. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I suggested this last year. Load up defense and add whatever we could to the OL. Most laughed and wanted weapons for our shiny new QB.

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. Max

Max Veteran

I completely understand the mindset. But in my thinking, w/ JJ and KJ back, we may be close enough to pull off Ravens/Broncos even without focusing on defense this offseason (depending on who we lose to FA). If Brock doesn't improve significantly, his $ is better spent elsewhere leaving us w/ an injury prone Savage year after next. I think we have to draft a qb in the later rounds at least to not bury the team for years to come. So I would vote for OL first priority (2 of them) and then, depending on who is available: QB, ILB, S and maybe DL.

Texansphan and ROO like this.
  9. Texaspat

Texaspat Rookie

It's a great topic for discussion.

Doing this however you have to insure your defense is all world, If your offense isn't going to score much. But even then, you still need offensive production.

Case in point…look at the Patriots vs. Broncos game this year. The Patriots won 16-3. Yes, the Broncos defense held Brady to 16 points, but the Broncos offense was so horrible that they could only manage 3. That ain't gonna cut it.

Like it or not, this is a scoring and passing league. It's built for offenses to succeed. You need a well rounded team in all 3 phases.

That' why teams like the Patriots are so good. They have a #3 scoring offense, a #1 scoring defense, and Top 5 ST units….they are balanced. Same with Dallas, Seattle, etc.

10. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

It's all matter of opinion i guess but I'd think about it in 2 separate ways:

Do you trust clark (rt) against mack, von miller, ware, Houston, in any playoff game? No. Do you trust oz to overcome that deficiency at all? No. If the answer to both those questions is no it should be addressed. If all the other players are average on offense maybe you can make it work. When our qb, rg, and rt are that substandard i don't think you can win against playoff teams consistently.

And

All it takes is 1 blown coverage, 1 special teams score, 1 turnover for an opposing team to get points. Does anybody trust our current offense to recover from that deficit consistently against playoff teams? I don't.

For me, you have to fix more of the offense before going all in on defense. Maybe instead of adding players we add a new offensive coach. I dunno. I do know to win a super bowl with the 31st ranked offense we'd need some hellacious d and luck.

Texansphan and Wolf like this.

11. Texaspat

Texaspat Rookie

Good post. That was my last point. Even with a good defense, you still need some type of offensive production. a 31st ranked offense isn't going to get it done. And, I don't think you can run on every down. You need to pass. This is a passing league.

31st ranked offense. #1 ranked defense in yards per game. I know where I'm spending my draft picks this year and it starts with addressing the OL first. Then a pounder of a RB to compliment Miller, and maybe an athletic TE in more the "move style" to compliment Federowicz.

12. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

You forgot one guy. Uh, what is his name....Uh,...Oh, yea Weeeeeeeden. You will hear about it from his Daddy. :)

13. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

Exactly.
    And it gives us the opportunity to load up on the oline and running game.

14. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

If they don't drop any of the guys on D, I think we can sit pat with what we got.
    Boost the Oline like you say but try for a beast running back/return man as well. Os or Savage will be serviceable then.
    If teams are gonna score on us and kick the ball to us, let's put the fear of god into them with a dangerous return man - that would be fun to watch too.

Max likes this.
  15. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

I do know to win a super bowl with the 31st ranked offense we'd need some hellacious d and special teams.
    Fixed it for ya.
    With a better line I think even Brock would be around 20th.

16. Max

Max Veteran

They need to decide who we're going to be and draft accordingly. The speed they surrounded Os w/ this off-season seemed tailored to a finesse or west coast offense, but our game plan was designed to be a power running team. They either need to find a qb who can utilize the speed or refocus on becoming a true power running team.

It would probably be smartest to draft and remake us into a power running team. I think it ties in w/ the thoughts expressed in Texecutioner's OP as far as taking the onus off of finding a franchise qb. The OL still needs to be a focus but draft road graders. Find a LeGarrette Blount type back w/ Miller as a change of pace. I could live with that.

17. powda

powda Team BLEACH!

I wonder is this the dysfunction we inherited by becoming a "multiple offense?"

Speed we dont use downfield since week 2. Miller pounding up the middle though he's a much better outside runner? 1 dimensional offensive linemen? (Allen/mancz's/newton.)

This offense is built like the architect wants to do everything - but we dont actually do anything well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no offense looks good with a shitty qb. Ob might have the most brilliant offense ever convinced, but as long as his qb play sucks it's miserable. I think this offense HAS TO have good qb play to be what ob wants. I think his offense is more reliant on qb play then others.

Max likes this.
  18. Max

Max Veteran

I hear you and I think it might be as simple as Brock wasn't able to do what they thought so the only option was to try to be a running team even though we weren't built for it.

I think they have to pivot one way or the other this off-season. They either plan on Brock or Savage running OB's NE offense w/ better pass protection or draft a guy who they think can (no track record w/ that) or pivot to the power running game. I think the safer move would be pivot to running game and see if qb's we have play better in a play action offense. Either way -- decide who you're going to be and commit.

powda likes this.
  19. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Between getting injured players back, FA and the draft, the OL can be turned into a very strong unit in 2017. If OB can get some semblance of a coherent run blocking scheme, that would go a long way towards helping the offense.

20. Texaspat

Texaspat Rookie

Do the Texans run OB's NE offense? Because it doesn't look like it.

76Texan likes this.