A closer look at Schaub's statistics

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DomDavis, Mar 21, 2007.

1. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

Anyone who expects anything from a rookie quarterback is dumb. That's simply not how it works in the NFL.

Take away Schaub's rookie statistics (where essentially every QB sucks) and this is what you have:

51-91, 703 yards, 5 TD, 2 INT, QB rating about 90

Furthermore, in the two games where he's seen significant playing time (more than 20 pass atttempts) he's had:
    15-21, 175 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 92.4 rating (vs. Eagles)
    18-34, 298 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 112.1 rating (vs. Patriots)

He's earned rave reviews in preseason, practice, training camp and in every opportunity he's had to showcase his skills. Scouts view him as a starter, and he's looked good in most of his real action... he just hasn't gotten the opportunity. Same situation with Matt Hasselbeck earlier this decade.

Schaub is a quality player if you look at the numbers outside of his rookie season (when essentially every QB will suck). He's going to help.

Grid likes this.
  2. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Great statistics. I think what everyone is missing is Gary Kubiak. I believe Kubiak and Smith know what they are doing. Let's just hope the guy does well. Everyone keeps bringing up how the Falcons message board is eating this up. Did we all forget the Falcons also have Vick? Did we forget the Falcons have Vick, the most overhyped quarterback in the NFL? Did we forget the Falcons have Vick, the same guy who flips the bird to his hometown fans?

Who is the Falcons QB again?

3. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

What is everyone's take on Schaub's leadership abilities? Is he capable of being a field general?

4. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

Falcons have Vick and neither the old or new coaching staff can do much about that...He is very close with the Owner...and was in a situation close to David Carr's, yet even more....

A lot of Falcons fans dislike Vick's QB ability....

5. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

I was curious about that exact same thing. I don't think we are going to find that out until we see him on the field. Unless you just happen to know some one in the Falcons organization.

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He has been reported to be a leader and a very hard worker.

7. Shiney_McShine

Shiney_McShine Rookie

Falcons fan here. Don't expect Schaub to be another Brady(although don't expect him not to be either). He is a good person who had a regular spot on a sports talk radio show where he exhibited poise, maners and a sense of humor. Be patient as he has limited experience, but I think he will turn out to be a good QB. He has three years of NFL life, but only a few games of NFL contact.

Good luck!

8. TexansMVP

TexansMVP Probowler

I just remembered that Dan Reeves who served as a consultant for the Texans last year had some ties with the Falcons, so may be they got some insight from him.

So far, I am still not sure what to think about the deal. I just hope they didn't pull a Buchanon type of trade deal.

9. Shiney_McShine

Shiney_McShine Rookie

Reeves ties to the Falcons had little if nothing to do with this. Every player on every team is graded. The Texans were aware of Schaub while he was still in college.

10. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Reeves was out of Atlanta before the Falcons selected Schaub.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

What did you (Falcon fans) think of his performance when he was able to play?

12. Shiney_McShine

Shiney_McShine Rookie

As I stated in another thread, many in Atlanta felt Schaub was the better QB. I am not so sure, but I am what is known as a Vick apologist! :tease:

My feelings are if Schaub gets a lot of playing time, he will be better then the stats indicate. He had one game where he torched the Patriots, but lost because the defense gave up too many big plays and too many points. He has shown a lot of poise.

13. Ckw

Ckw Guest

Great insights. I think the amazing stats, as little as one can pay attention to them, came when you erase his rookie season. Outside of his rookie season he had 5 tds and 2 ints or so. Doesn't sound much like Carr at all, so I consider it an improvement. What I don't get is shouldn't we consider this a better pickup, at least some decent stats, than an unproven draft pick?

14. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

this makes me feel better. the one game i saw him play he looked good.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

This is just a photo, and you can read too much into them.

[​IMG]

Looks to me like Schaub (the backup) is trying to encourage Vick (the starter). That's what a leader would do.

16. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I heard that he actually watches game film on his own time. Yeah, he puts a priority on his football career. :superman:

17. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

HAha, looks like schaub is going to get a championship ring before Vick. Cool thing is, we play Atlanta next season in ATL so i'll bet some of the fans will enjoy seeing Schaub play them.

18. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Im hoping Schaub is welcomed in ATL the same way VY was in HOU this year...with the same result :yahoo:

19. Shiney_McShine

Shiney_McShine Rookie

Uhhh......I think he is looking at his water bottle.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I'm glad you said water bottle.