a change of pace topic.....

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by 2slik4u, May 12, 2010.

1. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

After spending numerous hours and days rolling in the Brian Cushing saga, here are some preseason rankings that hold Houston at #14:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings?year=2010&week=0

I know it doesnt mean much, but again, its a change of pace topic that I think is much needed in the "Cush Storm".

:gun:

BIG TORO and dc_txtech like this.
  2. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

I blame Brian Cushing for such a low spot....

Brian Cushing thread take over in 5....4...3...2...

Yankee_In_TX likes this.
  3. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

14 means we dont make the playoff! :gun:

:clap:bravo on the change of pace!

2slik4u likes this.
  4. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

......and the change of pace begins......

unfortunately, through no fault of my (ours) own, I cant help but think if any preseason rankings take into account of Cushgate.

nevertheless, I think we are underranked. On the other hand, I think we are in prime position to sneak up on some teams out there. Oh well......

:bat:

5. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Kuharsky just generalized the entire AFC South. No specifics?

Don't put too much specific thought into it or anything. Must be a Raider fan since he went into a little more specific reasoning.

6. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

Yeah, by no means is this indepth or anything.....I mean cmon, its from ESPN. This just acted as a diversionary tactic in the recent wake of..........

So far its working.

7. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

/\ Yeah, I get that - but at least the other guys did a little more specific thought behind their notes.

Meh - good diversion though. Thanks.

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I think these have been out for a little while, so I don't think the Cushing suspension is taken into account.

On one hand, I think the Bengals are way over-ranked (although as a division-winner, you almost have to put them there), and I could see a slide by the Patriots in 2010. Being right on either or both of those things gets us into the playoffs (if everything else was perfect).

On the other hand, I see Miami and Tennessee, along with us, as better than the Bengals, so we may be battling it out with them and the Pats for wild-card a spot if we can't flat-out win the division.

Finally, I wasn't even close to as sold as many people seemed to be on the Jets last year (yeah, they went to the AFC Championship game, but the Bears went to the Super Bowl after the 2006 season, and that didn't have much in the way of predictive value). They obviously did a whole bunch in the off-season, but between chemistry, and just the fact that I believe the guys they brought in are bad-guys (and in the case of both Cromartie and Holmes, overrated guys), I see their moves in kind of a boom-or-bust mold. Maybe they win the AFC East outright, maybe they regress and end up 7-9.

Man, it's a long offseason.

9. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Clearly a lot of thought went into these rankings.

:lol:

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Not to make this into a cush thread, but these came out before his suspension.

Before the suspension, I put us at hopefully 2-2 or better after the first 4 games

Without him, I dont know that we will make it to 2-2

11. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

I hope this doesnt digress and get this thread moved but......

I think the NYJ are the real deal this year. I wouldnt be surprised at all if they coasted into the superbowl (kinda like the Grossman led bears) with their defense and running game. Sanchez blows but there is much damn talent around them that its gonna be hard for him to mess it up.

TEXANS, TEXANS, TEXANS.....maybe the mention of our beloved texans might keep it in this forum.

:fingergun:

12. ChampionTexan

If we can't beat Oakland and Washington without Cushing, then we're gonna have a long season even when he gets back.

I view his absence as an obstacle to be dealt with, but an excuse for nothing.

13. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Let's see 12 playoff teams.

Texans play inconsistent and have a history of inconsistent play calling and coaching.

Yeah 14 sounds accurate.

14. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

Ill tell you what, at first glance of the schedule, I thought these were both two for sure W's....now that Washington has a QB thats worth a crap and some new (old) horses in the stable, Im not so sure anymore. Shanahan is a crafty SOB.

I do in fact however demand a victory against Oakland.

15. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Any given Sunday...

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I would put us at 10. Ahead of Atl, Cinci, Zona, and Phily. Even taking "his" suspension into account, I think we're better than those teams.

17. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

.....good thing they dont have Steamin Willie Beamin.....

18. ChampionTexan

Long term, I think Shanahan's gonna be the best thing that's happened to the Redskins since Joe GIbbs version 1.0. Short term, they suck, and I don't see McNabb and a bunch of creaky old RB's changing that by more than a win or two (maybe three if they're lucky).

We should be better than them, and while you can give them the edge in coaching, I don't think it turns the tables. In 2007 we beat the Shanahan coached Broncos pretty soundly - I think that Broncos team had more talent than next years Redskins team will have, and that Texans team had less talent than next years Texans team will have (even without Cushing).

I'm not denying the fact we might lose any one of the first four games - I'm just saying if we lose to the Redskins or Raiders, it means we've got more problems than Cushing being out for 4 games.

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

If anything he would be a Titans fan. He spent several years covering the Tinnbreds for The Tennessean before going to ESPN, blogging on the AFC South.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And he still lives in Nashville.