A chance for Morency?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Malloy, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

According to the Texans site, DD is now listed as questionable :I

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Our Einstein coaching staff would probably start Wells.

3. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Hehe, only time will tell. If no one sufficiently can step in for DD (if he in fact does not start), we'll be in big trouble since the ground is the only place we've been able to move the ball just a little bit lately.

4. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

The Morency situation is one that I am very curious about. We heard a lot of lip service in the preseason about getting him 5-10 carries a game to give Davis some rest and this hasn't materialized. They're only playing for draft position at this point so why not give the guy a look?

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

So, what we have now is a guy who may have to come in with NO touches. If they gave him a few carries a game he would not have to come in cold and would already be adjusted to the speed of the regular season. I don't know how this coaching staff could be any worse.

6. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

And that's probably the worst thing to do if DD cant go. Morency can run around the edges, something the Jaguars are having an extremely hard time containing.

Wells goes more up the middle, with Stroud and Henderson awaiting.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

We heard that last year about working Hollings in for 5-10 carries a game. Like you said it seems to be just lip service. Instead he got 11 carries on the year.

8. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

In the mildest defense possible, during the off-season seems like every coach in the league talks about saving the wear and tear on its RB with another guy. Only a handful do it, and the one's that do get criticized for when they choose to put the other guy in.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I agree that not much sharing gets done. I guess what sticks with me about that is it makes taking Hollings dumber than it otherwise looks. He had very little experience at RB. How was/is he ever supposed to develop if the only thing he ever does is practice at 3/4's speed and minimal contact? The same applies to a lessor degree to Morency--he looks like he has some upside, but he also doesn't look like an NFL runner IMO. He needs some NFL snaps to become a smarter runner and let his potential out.

10. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

Yeah, the coaching staff does this every year. They say someone will get more touches or see the field more and it never happens. It's quite annoying.

11. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

DD is just resting his knee due to fluid build up. It happens to all runningbacks over the course of the season. They likely drained, iced, and rested the knee and he will be fine come gametime. This does mean that they will start limiting his carries a slight bit. Don't expect anything more than a loss of 5-10 carries though. Most of those carries will go to Wells rather than Morency.

12. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Seems to be working for Shanahan over in Denver.

13. the wonger need food

Actually, this is not true. If you look at stats from other teams (especially good teams), most of them have at least one other running back that gets a few carries, consistently, every game. The Texans second leading rusher is Carr. The only comparable team in this area would be NYJ, and they are almost as bad as the Houston Expansion Franchise.

Just like most good teams throw to their TE.

Do we see a pattern here?

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

yeah also good teams know to build a team threw the offensive and defensive lines...is there a pattern here i'd say yes...morency needs some carries cause we all know DD isn't a 25-30 carry per game back...he's solid when he gets between 20-25 carries...remember last week he started to slow down after he hit the 20+ carry mark...i think we need to do what kansas city is doing...having DD in for two series in a row then either morency or wells the next series...i mean we don't even have to do it to that degree...have DD go in after a couple of plays in that third series or something...either way i don't see what changing it up a little would hurt

15. the wonger need food

Absolutely, this game always has been, and always will be won in the trenches.

The Houston Expansion Franchise just likes to do things opposite of successful organizations. Some would call them innovative, bleeding-edge, forward-thinking. Other teams in the league just call them losers.

16. ojthecat

ojthecat Veteran

How can you say this what I remember from the preseason was Morency did not look that good. To me he looked like a "project". I think maybe the reason we have not seen him is because he is not that good. He looked confused and kept trying to run around people. That is something that he did not have the speed for. It might have worked at Oklahoma State however this is the NFL and even the average players are FAST.

17. real

real Guest

amen ojthecat....Morency is a third stringer Davis a second and we need a real starter

18. the wonger need food

Davis has been one of the most productive backs in the NFL over the past 2 years. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but he is a very good running back. Probably in the top 10 in the NFL.

19. real

real Guest

look at DD rushing average.... and the amount of carries compared to others with about the same amount of yards..... and he was number 11 last year, its guys that are not too far behind him in yardage that have way fewer carries

20. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

What is wrong with Wells though?