A backup or replacement for Will Fuller?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Earl34, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

a guy playing Toledo's schedule with 750 ish yards for the season, 8 td's. Watched some tape, nothing like the impact WF had at a much larger school

Will had 500 more yards, 5 more per catch and 14 TD;s against real competition and looked it. I guess we wait for the combine but you can usually see a stud at Toledo

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

I was wrong. Fuller has surprised me and become more than a speed guy. He hits. Not every speed guy will do that. Boy is a baller.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

There's a first, LOL

Check out Dionte Johnson, dudes a baller too.

I also like Antoine Wesley. Skinny tall string bean but very talented. You can't go wrong taking Texas Tech WR's

Probably can get these guys in the 3rd Rd.

4. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

I cannot give up on WF yet, dude has kept proving people wrong with hands, avoids contact etc. Yes, he needs to be healthy, let's see. We do have V Smith as a backup policy, and Keke should be more ready to be a pro

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  5. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

I agree that we should not give up on Fuller. He has trouble staying on the field, but when he is healthy he is a difficult player to replace. He is not just a speed receiver, he has made himself into a complete receiver who can run good routes and plays with a bit of hard-edged attitude.

steelbtexan and JB like this.
  6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

This is why I believe going veteran replacement level ...i.e. John Brown is a way to go. Fuller is cheap to keep, no matter what his injury risk is, but having someone ready to play at a reasonable cost if there is an injury. If all are well then the Texans have a deep roster of WRs.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    srrono, Earl34, CWTexansFan and 3 others like this.
  7. Texas Jake

Texas Jake All Pro

I agree that we need to add depth and insurance if Fuller can't stay on the field.

FuzzyLogic and steelbtexan like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm for this and if Smith develops like I think he's going to the WR corps will be very deep. I see Smith as a Tyrell Williams type talent that is only going to improve. That kid has special athletic ability. For him to do as well as he did under the circumstances he had to perform under, coming from the small school he came from, I think his future is very bright.

9. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

How much would John Brown cost?

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Just give me a late round WR that's really fast …. if its just an insurance policy.

When healthy DHop , Fuller and QT are as good as any trio in the league.

I think they need a better strength and conditioning coach … keep all these hamstrings from blowing up via flexibility / stretching

11. ShinobiMusashi

ShinobiMusashi Rookie

We should use Fuller like Bo Jackson and just save him for after baseball season ends so we can have him in the playoffs.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  12. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

I wonder if Andy Isabella can play on the outside. I am not sold he can but he has similar size and traits to Tyreek Hill and Steve Smith so it makes me think that he might be able to. I would pull the trigger no earlier than the 3rd round for him.

FuzzyLogic and JB like this.
  13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Lucky likes this.
  14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would give that up for John Brown.

Of course I would trade a 2019 second and a 2020 1st for Antonio Brown and a 2019 fourth.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Deandre Carter getting offer?

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He should, he's valuable as a KR/PR and I was impressed with how quickly Watson/Carter bonded with Carter coming off of the street and having to play right away.

18. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

What happens when Nuk is hurting, then what? The Chiefs had Tyreke and Kelce, but added Watkins. You can't over weaponize the offense. If Fuller comes back 100% ,cool. Again, I would sign Tyrell Williams

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You don't replace guys like DHop - no matter how many "weapons" you have ….

I'm not against adding talent to the position but we have more pressing needs - most notably CB & OT. I'm for fixing them and then intelligently using the remaining resources elsewhere - RB / WR / OLB.

Really need to see what they do with our own FA's and how much we have to spend on those two most critical positions , then worry about the luxuries of another WR / RB / OLB.

CWTexansFan, Texas Jake and JB like this.
  20. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Could the Texans spice that offer up a bit and save the 2020 RD1 by offering William Fuller V (FA 2021) and Lamar Miller (FA 2020)?

I have no idea if that would be enough but that frees up some cap space so the pain of AB's contract isn't so severe. Texans would be plenty strong with Hopkins, Brown, and Coutee as the three primary WR weapons. The Steelers get an often injured WR who's capable of taking the top off defenses when healthy....a perfect weapon to go with their stud receiver, Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster. James Washington is expected to make a big push this season as a solid WR2 weapon now that his rookie season is in the books. Miller could be a nice inclusion since the Steelers are losing Bell and would have a need for a solid RB2 for Conner.

TEXANS
    WR- Antonio Brown

STEELERS
    WR- Fuller
    RB- Miller
    2020 RD2 or maybe 2020 RD1