A backup or replacement for Will Fuller?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Earl34, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Earl34

Earl34 All Pro

Let me begin, by saying that I love what Will Fuller brings to the offense. I appreciate how hard he has worked to improve his hands.

However, the way this offense struggles when he's unavailable and his inability to stay healthy, I was looking at John Brown who played with the Cardinals and Ravens as a free agent pickup.

He brings similar a similar skillset as Fuller and between them, we have an insurance policy opposite Hopkins. Thoughts?

OptimisticTexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Reasonable suggestion who most likely won't cost a silly amount... Brown has never put it together in total and has his own health issues though

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I like Brown and Tyrell Williams. I'm sure some fast guys will get cut. Also the 2nd yr leap most WR's make from V. Smith could happen.

Antione Wesley and Dionte Jonson are guys I like in the draft.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Toledo's Diontae Johnson is a real sleeper that could go 2nd day. He's small, but explosive. And more polished than you would think.

I really like the depth of this receiver class. It doesn't have the superstars like Beckham and Evans. But it has value from mid 1st round well into the 3rd day.

5. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Keep it Movin!

I mentioned Tyrell Williams in another thread. I would position myself as if Fuller isn't coming back full strength for a yr and a half. Not to mention, they need someone in case Hopkins is hurt. Tyrell has deep speed, plus he has that large catch radius and is a red zone threat. Plus he's still young and productive.

6. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

They would both be riding the pine at the same time. We need to forget Fuller and find a full time replacement.

7. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Is this Fuller's "option year" or does he have another year left on his Rookie contract? Whatever the case, I wouldn't "forget" him. We still need him here. However, that wouldn't stop me from finding someone in the Draft or FA that could replace him if he goes down again this season!

8. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

There's aren't enough 4.3 WR out there for us to just "forget" him. Yes he has an injury history and we need to add some more depth to deal with that and then maybe if he goes down again look at moving on but right now without Fuller we are back to being a one WR team. We already have to many "must haves" in this draft to add a WR to the mix if we don't have to and looking at the F/A list for WR I'm not seeing any that I'm ready to open the wallet for the prices they will want. I say add some depth if we can but right now its sort of the case of go to war with the army you have as far as WR go.

JB likes this.
  9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

After seeing the offense with and without Fuller, I've gotta disagree.

Seegara likes this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I know you are disagreeing with the 'we don't need to add another WR' part. Texans certainly need a speed (or dynamic) receiver added to the mix. Perhaps Smith can be that guy

steelbtexan likes this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is what I'm hoping for. BOB/Ryan must've seen real promise in him after keeping the talented guy from a tiny college around over highly drafted guys. Smith certainly has the size and speed. Hopefully he makes the 2nd yr jump most rookie WR's do. With that said I would still bring in another WR either thru the draft or FA. Gotta add some depth to the WR group.

JB likes this.
  12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Get him healthy. It's going to be almost impossible to find someone with his ability

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Dionte Johnson

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Who is that?

15. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Fuller has turned into more than just a speed guy. You aren't replacing him with some 3rd rounder who can run a 40.

You don't stretch the field without a threat. Running fast isn't good enough.

16. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Is Fuller still going to be a 4.3-40 Tyler's after his knee injury?

17. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Probably not this year, but next could very well be back at it. Seems to take a season to get back to full speed.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You said the same thing when Fuller was drafted

Go check out Dionte and tell me what you think.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

WR

Toledo

OptimisticTexan and JB like this.
  20. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

a guy playing Toledo's schedule with 750 ish yards for the season, 8 td's. Watched some tape, nothing like the impact WF had at a much larger school

Will had 500 more yards, 5 more per catch and 14 TD;s against real competition and looked it. I guess we wait for the combine but you can usually see a stud at Toledo