9-4

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Vinny, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

We have to go 8-5 just to be .500 now....is this team capable of going 8-5 based on what we saw in the first 3 games? I think the offense turned the corner this week but the defense is awful. I think we aren't tough inside, have no pass rusher outside of Mario, and is going to give up a record amount of points this season. 9-4 seems ridiculous at this point, but I've seen stranger things happen.

2. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

9-4 does seem completely beyond all reason at this point, but eight of those games are at home. Hmmm.

3. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

Yep, at least we aren't the Colts... 0-2 at home. Also, if we beat the shoes on the Sunday, they will be in 4th! That would be awesome.

4. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

we have a long road ahead of us there is no easy game on are sechudle

we got the colts next week and playing them is no easy task

5. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

where's all the unrestrained enthusiasm now?

6. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Bring back Jim Eddy!

7. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Is he still coaching???

8. Mailman

Mailman Pwned by Hakeem

I'm actually very optimistic about what I've seen so far. I think the team has played decent overall and is nowhere near the disaster-in-waiting the majority of members believe them to be. I see a team that's played inarguably the toughest schedule under the toughest circumstances of any NFL team, without a single home game, and a team that competed well in the last two.

Color my eggs sunny-side up.

painekiller likes this.

9. powerfuldragon

i say blame our economic woes for the recent spike in pessimism.

10. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

No. And I was kidding.

Does it bother anyone else that Gilbride and Eddy both have Superbowl rings?

11. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Not me...they are good coaches that were demonized since they led units that failed at one time or another. It's like being an entrepreneur, most coaches have failed more than they have succeeded.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Notice Gilbride won that ring, NOT running the run-and-shoot offense? They were good coaches as Vinny said, but the one word: Oilers.

13. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

So does it bother you guys that Palmer has a ring? And if the Giants keep playing the way they are so will Carr.

14. powerfuldragon

no he won't because god hates him.

TEXANRED likes this.
  15. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I know a lot of people who were saying we'd have a 9 win season also had us losing those three games so, I guess we'll just have to see. Something has to go our teams way eventually right????

HJam72 likes this.
  16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

TEXANRED, Is there a point? Or are you rubbing our collective noses in the poo?

LOL! Just kiddin bud.

It's just more proof the Football Gods dislike Houston pro sports teams. They must've been on vacation those two years the Rockets won.

17. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Just annoyed today.

At least Dallas lost.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I hear ya

Yes, yes they did. It was a good game too. USC and Florida lost too. UH beat ECU. :shades:

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I don't think that a 9 win season is out of the question. Like you said, most of us never expected to win the games we've lost so far... although I did think we were going to be able to steal that one from the Jags.

I was depressed after the first game because the supposed strength of our team, the offense, didn't show up and our defense looked just as bad as I expected it to.

After the second game, I actually felt a little better about the team. We had a threat at RB and we were at least in the game until that last turnover. If we hadn't made mistakes in the red zone and some poor decisions on 4th downs, we could have been in an even better position at the end of the game.

BUT... from what I've seen from Slaton so far, he's not what I like in a RB. He's a Barry Sanders type who makes a lot of runs in the -3..+3 range and then busts a 50 yarder to improve his ypc. But we need someone who consistently gets 4 yards. I'm hoping that as the run blocking improves, Slaton's average carry improves.

After the third game, I'm feeling good about the rest of the season. We have the problem with the defense. But I think our line is improving and as our line improves, our offense is going to improve and could be really, really good. Especially if AJ gets his season turned around. He hasn't been in synch so far this year and if he gets it going, we're going to become a lot more explosive.

I don't know if we're going to beat the Colts. I think we can. I think we can dominate the time of possession. These are not the same Colts of the past several years. I don't care if it's Peyton Manning. And if they tackle the way they were tackling in the Jag game, Slaton could have 200 yards rushing. We should at least make this a damned close game.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

This sounds crazy...but what the heck...

We were 6-2 at home last season, with a team that was missing key elements due to injury. Why can't we hope to win one more at home this season? Say 7-1 at home, so we'd just need to win two on the road for a winning record.

Crazier things have happened. I'm keeping my smiling avatar just in case.

Texans_Chick and hadaad like this.