Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

8-8 Is Going To Be Good Enough This Year But Not Next

gary

Hall of Fame
For Gary to keep his job. He'll get his final season only to be let go in 2011 let's just end the debate already.

It's deja vu all over again.

gary is right though, Kubiak will have to improve next year to at least 10-6 if not better. The key though, as it always is, is division play which we suck at.

I'll take this a step further gary.

I am absolutely certain that regardless of the outcome of the final two games Gary Kubiak will be returning for 2010 season. If the Texans don't win another game it's not a problem. I believe that Bob McNair believes that we are one year away and that he believes in Gary Kubiak. I think he sees the injuries that have occurred, the progress that has been made with the defense, and the way in which we've lost some games (player miscues) and comes to the conclusion that Gary's the guy.

I don't think he sees or understands what most of us who want Kubiak gone have a problem with (team not ready to play, consistently inconsistent, bad game/clock management, etc) or maybe he thinks that this is something Gary will iron out if given just...one....more....year.

I think he's wrong to give him another season but I hope he's right because he's going to do it no matter what. I desperately want to be proven wrong here. If I were any kind of religious man I'd be praying for a 13-3 season being right around the corner. I'll be behind the team next year 103% but if this asshattery continues and the Texans keep looking like a .500 "keystone cops" football team I'm going to rage and ***** and moan and say I told you so for the entire year.

It's deja vu all over again.

gary is right though, Kubiak will have to improve next year to at least 10-6 if not better. The key though, as it always is, is division play which we suck at.

I'm on the GK bandwagon. My expectations are a 10-6 or better year next season.

I'll tell you what. If we aren't division champs, (because I think we'll be that good.) I'll break out the Pink, Yellow, Red, & Green Soap myself.

I'll tell you what. If we aren't division champs, (because I think we'll be that good.) I'll break out the Pink, Yellow, Red, & Green Soap myself.
They been this good every year. LOL.

I had high hopes because of the schedule this year. I doubt the Texans go 3-1 vs the NFC East.

This team still has holes to fill whether we wanna admit it or not.

I had high hopes because of the schedule this year. I doubt the Texans go 3-1 vs the NFC East.

This team still has holes to fill whether we wanna admit it or not.

The schedule is tougher next year, so 8-8 next year will be even better than the awesome 8-8 this year. First team in history to have huge improvements every year while going 8-8 for four years in a row.

Until Payton Manning retires or is kidnapped by alien UFOs, Indy will remain the champs. I will settle quite nicely for a 10-6 or 11-5 record (considering our 2010 schedule) and a wild card spot. We had better go at least 4-2 in the division next year though, or it's all meaningless again.

You might as well break them out because there is now way that we will win our division over the colts & titans next year if Kubiak return.

Two years in a row now, Gary Kubiak ran training camp like Summer Camp.

Two years in a row now, we were blown to smithereens in Game 1 of the
Regular Season.

The only reason we didn't get blown of the field in game 1 of '07 is because
we played against the Chiefs.

Third time's the charm, right?

Since Kubiak has been hired, EVERY team in the NFL has either made the
playoffs, or has fired their coach. He's had more than enough time.
But you're right. Reliant Stadium is gonna be downright UGLY if Kubes screws
next year up. Bob Mcnair WILL bring Kubiak back, even if it's the wrong
decision. The only reason he fired Dom was because Reliant Stadium became
a ghost town.

Agree that he will be back(though I don't think he should be). It wont be a popular decision among some of the fanbase. With that said, temper your expectations(or at least I know I will). I'll no longer fall in the trap.(You know, the slow start, get the gear going midseason, and finish out by winning 3 or 4 out of 5 to finish 8-8, thinking we'll finally get over next year) How many years have we said "Next year is the year we breakout" or "Next year is the year we turn the corner"? 2 or 3?

Hopefully they can somehow learn between now and next year to play 60 minutes of ball next year.

Why would you think they will learn to do that when nothing is going to change?

Since it looks like Kubiak will be back next year, I expect the same results since he hasn't "figured it out" yet.

I dont exactly think that. I said I hope they somehow manage to though I'm not going to count on it. Like I somehow hope they make the playoffs, but I'm not going to count on it, because chances are slim to none.

And I agree, I expect similar results since some things never change. Maybe we'll be a better 8-8 team. :rolleyes:

I am absolutely certain that regardless of the outcome of the final two games Gary Kubiak will be returning for 2010 season. If the Texans don't win another game it's not a problem. I believe that Bob McNair believes that we are one year away and that he believes in Gary Kubiak. I think he sees the injuries that have occurred, the progress that has been made with the defense, and the way in which we've lost some games (player miscues) and comes to the conclusion that Gary's the guy.

I don't think he sees or understands what most of us who want Kubiak gone have a problem with (team not ready to play, consistently inconsistent, bad game/clock management, etc) or maybe he thinks that this is something Gary will iron out if given just...one....more....year.

I think he's wrong to give him another season but I hope he's right because he's going to do it no matter what. I desperately want to be proven wrong here. If I were any kind of religious man I'd be praying for a 13-3 season being right around the corner. I'll be behind the team next year 103% but if this asshattery continues and the Texans keep looking like a .500 "keystone cops" football team I'm going to rage and ***** and moan and say I told you so for the entire year.

I can't help being reminded of the phrase, "Curiosity killed the cat."

I, too will remain behind the team. However, if the "Keystone cops" reappear, I will promote a medical solution.................EUTHANASIA. :choke:

I'm just really tired of Kubiak and will find it extremely hard to tolerate him another year. If Kubiak once again adds more talent via free agency and the draft and still has this team playing the same crappy .500 up and down football then keeping him will have set us back once again. Nine years of "wait till next year". It wouldn't make me feel good to say "I told you so" because I want this team to be a winner and in the playoffs with a chance to go to the superbowl. I honestly don't think Kubiak can do it. Four years with more talent every year and a soft schedule this year and nothing but the same ol crap. We will be in danger of losing good players that will want out and in danger of losing potential free agents that don't want any part of a 9 year loser.

The only way I can possibly see this team getting anywhere with Kubiak as hc is if Bush can mold this defense into a 2000 Ravens/85 Bears type of dominating defense. The Texans have to have that to win in spite of Kubiak and his clock management/bad calls/absolute stubborness(ie Chris/Kris Brown) and inability to prepare a team for 16 straight games.

Yep

As long as the McNairs keep the fan base strong it doesn't matter what the people on MB's like this think. It will be business as usual.

God I hope I'm wrong and there is significant progress next year. 11-5

What does McNair have to lose by keeping Kubes on for another year?

Anwer: Nothing, The stadium will still be sold out next year and the beer will be sold in mass quantities. The TV revenue will still be there.

In McNairs eyes there's no reason to make a change. Because the $ will continue flow and the bottom line will remain constant.

He needs to know that this cities referendum on football has been cast once on non commited football owners. Ask Bud

If the Texans dont make the playoffs this year and McNair keeps Kubes and they dont make the playoffs again. A new coach will be brought in and then say with the change they dont make the playoffs for 2 more years the fan base will turn against McNair just like they did Bud.

All of this is hypothetical and I hope it doesn't turn out that way but it is a possibilty.

All I care about is that we add talent this offseason, clearly Kubiak will be back next year so that's all we can hope for, add talent, hope a miracle happens and Coach makes the right calls every Sunday from here on. Of course that only happens half of the time hence 8-8 every year.

Since Kubiak has been hired, EVERY team in the NFL has either made the
playoffs, or has fired their coach.

Has anybody looked to see if these teams are any better off after firing their head coach?

I would wager that most of them are in the same spot they were in before the change.

I really find it difficult to believe that you guys can't see how this team is better than any team the Texans have ever fielded.

we've had rookies starting since Day one.

some guys are arguing whether Cushing or Matthews is the better LB coming out of USC. Cushing started on this team after missing training camp. Matthews was on the bench after a full Training camp.

Glover Quinn is a second day pick , that has started almost every game this year. Either because of injury or a performance issues.

We're starting a safety who wasn't on this team prior to week 2. Our other safety is our third option. & our franchise corner back is getting picked on by rookie QBs.

2/3rds of our OL have never started before in the NFL. & we lost our Pro-Bowl TE at the half-way point, before going on an 0-4 stretch.

Yet there was only one game we did not show up for. Every other game, we were one or two plays away from winning the game.

Other than the Rams game, if we had won the games we lost, no one would be upset with the effort or preparation of this team. Because the effort was there.

7 points or less. That's the margin we lost by, to teams with winning records. We haven't lost to a bad team this year.

With our back-ups.

I really find it difficult to believe that you guys can't see how this team is better than any team the Texans have ever fielded.

I think that most do see that this team is better than any team the Texans have fielded. That is the problem. Add to that a softer schedule and well timed bye week. This is where the soapers and the settlers divide. The soapers believe Kubiak is the main problem. The settlers believe the players are the main problem. But almost everyone sees the most talent on the field for the Texans than ever before.

I think that most do see that this team is better than any team the Texans have fielded. That is the problem. Add to that a softer schedule and well timed bye week. This is where the soapers and the settlers divide. The soapers believe Kubiak is the main problem. The settlers believe the players are the main problem. But almost everyone sees the most talent on the field for the Texans than ever before.

Nailed umpteen pages of argument and discussion in one concise paragraph.
Rep!

Amen, walls!

Rep

we've had rookies starting since Day one.

some guys are arguing whether Cushing or Matthews is the better LB coming out of USC. Cushing started on this team after missing training camp. Matthews was on the bench after a full Training camp.

Glover Quinn is a second day pick , that has started almost every game this year. Either because of injury or a performance issues.

We're starting a safety who wasn't on this team prior to week 2. Our other safety is our third option. & our franchise corner back is getting picked on by rookie QBs.

2/3rds of our OL have never started before in the NFL. & we lost our Pro-Bowl TE at the half-way point, before going on an 0-4 stretch.

Yet there was only one game we did not show up for. Every other game, we were one or two plays away from winning the game.

Other than the Rams game, if we had won the games we lost, no one would be upset with the effort or preparation of this team. Because the effort was there.

7 points or less. That's the margin we lost by, to teams with winning records. We haven't lost to a bad team this year.

With our back-ups.

That would be an interesting set of excuses if I hadn't heard them all almost every year of this team's existence. This is just the same crap I read in here every single year about this time. "IF" this and "BUT" that.

None of it justifies anything or somehow illustrates a silver lining.

So we start some rookies. Big deal. Every team in the league has a rookie starting somewhere or damn near every team. Our rookies have played well for the most part and haven't been the problem. The mess we went into the season with at the safety spots isn't a reason to be excited about the future just like our good fortune in finding Pollard isn't a credit to the clowns in charge. They waited weeks before making a move (like usual) and that they were fortunate enough to get Pollard doesn't do them credit. It's blind, stupid luck. The same people who thought we were fine at safety are still here.

Our depth is made up of players our coaches wanted. There were opportunities to get experienced depth, they are going to war with the guys they wanted so don't give me this "we've got injuries" **** and "our backups aren't seasoned vets" rubbish. Every team has injuries, every team starts players they didn't intend to play this year at some point.

We were doing all of the things I ***** loudest about before Owen Daniels went down. His injury hurt like hell but his injury didn't unravel the Texans just like Pitts and Brisiel going down didn't kill our running game. It sucked before they were hurt.

I forget though, we're in the closing days of another going-nowhere campaign so it's excuses and spin time in Texans Nation. Revisionist history reigns supreme.

We only failed to show up for one game? Bullshit. We didn't show up against the Rams as you point out. We didn't show up against the Jets either. We checked out for the second half against San Francisco too. I was there. We stopped playing at halftime in at least half the games we played this season. If you add all of those up..... oh nevermind. Why ruin a good story with reality.

If we'd won the games we lost we'd be 14-0 so yeah, I probably wouldn't be bitching but there's that "IF" again. We didn't win those games. Other teams, better teams did. I don't care that we didn't win every game and I don't realistically expect us to. I care that we just gave away games with stupid mistakes and lost close games that were only close because our offense couldn't be bothered to play up to its ability for an entire sixty minutes. I am mad because we are the first team in Alex Gibbs entire damned career that can't run the football with even a reasonable level of competence. Half those losses shouldn't have even been close.

I am pissed off because we were swept by the Colts. Again.
I am pissed off because we were beaten by Vince Young. Again.

I am pissed off because while we may not have lost to a bad team this year we managed to beat just one good team and came within a hairs breadth of being swept in our division.

I'm sick of excuses and excuse making coaches, owners, and fans. The Texans are stuck in mediocrity because they're being led by a man who is a mediocre leader. Honestly I'm not sure if I'm talking about Kubiak or McNair. It could apply to either one.

But who cares, the draft is coming up and that's when we really shine right! Go Texans! Go Home for the Playoffs....AGAIN!

you've made a very good point here. But what if you think BOTH Kubiak and the players are to blame? Does that mean you are ostracized, hated by everyone? :firehair:

A couple of things.

1) McNair has said publicly, several times, that 8-8 wasn't good enough, and that great coaches do not go 8-8. Let's not assume that 8-8 buys Kubiak another year.

2) We're forgetting the NFC East, which is a tough division with tough teams. We play them next year. Those games will be a battle. That would be fine, if we had a stronghold on OUR OWN division, but we do not. We can't even take care of business in our back yard. I think between our division games and the NFC East games, we're looking at 6 or 7 losses right off the bat.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Happy Holidays, crew.

Great post!

Even if we were to make the playoffs with Kubiak I cant see him being a good enough coach to lead this team in that type of enviroment. Coaches that arent able to adjust when things are going bad just dont make it in the playoffs.

Its almost like hes wearing blinders sometimes and all he can see is that dam Denny's menu and down and distance. I cant think of a single instance where he adjusted his gameplan to counter a specific situation. Well except when we have a lead and he starts running it every play.

A couple of things.

1) McNair has said publicly, several times, that 8-8 wasn't good enough, and that great coaches do not go 8-8. Let's not assume that 8-8 buys Kubiak another year.

2) We're forgetting the NFC East, which is a tough division with tough teams. We play them next year. Those games will be a battle. That would be fine, if we had a stronghold on OUR OWN division, but we do not. We can't even take care of business in our back yard. I think between our division games and the NFC East games, we're looking at 6 or 7 losses right off the bat.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Happy Holidays, crew.

I think McNair meant what he said about 8-8 but I think he'll also take in to account all the key injuries. The problems havn't been with the coaching staff or the starting players, but a lack of depth at key positions. It takes time to aquire all new starters and have depth at every position. That's why I'm willing to give GK a little more time to succeed. I think the team he took over four years ago was worse than an expansion team. He's had to completely rebuild without the benifit of an expansion draft. IMO.

I think McNair meant what he said about 8-8 but I think he'll also take in to account all the key injuries. The problems havn't been with the coaching staff or the starting players, but a lack of depth at key positions. It takes time to aquire all new starters and have depth at every position. That's why I'm willing to give GK a little more time to succeed. I think the team he took over four years ago was worse than an expansion team. He's had to completely rebuild without the benifit of an expansion draft. IMO.

You can look at each individual loss, and the Texans had leads, some of 'em
BIG, in each one of those games. Almost all of them came down to a bad
coaching decision, be it playcall, personnel (leaving better players on the
bench)or playcall + personnel. Having Matt Schaub dive into the turf on
before the fieldgoal vs. Tennessee, removing Andre Johnson from the field,
tightening up the formation, and trying to pound CHRIS BROWN up the middle
of the line (our WEAKEST POSITION) at the Cardinals, having CHRIS BROWN,
throw a HB Option pass on SECOND DOWN while down TWO SCORES at the
SIX-YARDLINE at the TOP OF THE FOURTH QUARTER when Schaub and AJ got
you down to the 1st-and-goal situation at the Jags, and many more...

What has Kubiak done to merit patience enough to amass the talent level
of the San Diego Chargers before achieving his FIRST WINNING SEASON?
"Winning Season" is a SMALL thing to ask when the company line is a
quest for CHAMPIONSHIPS. You gotta win your DIVISION TITLE FIRST! We
haven't sniffed 4-2 in division play in FOUR YEARS?

Is being the "Best Looking 8-8 Team in the NFL" a high-enough standard?

Regardless of whether Kubiak stays I would like to see this team add a player or two over 30 that can start for us. We need to add quality vets on this team that can hold the young players together while our young leaders grow into their positions.

I bet if we had more experience on the field we would've won a couple of the games we lost that went down to the wire this season.

PS: No, Chris Brown does NOT count!!!

You can look at each individual loss, and the Texans had leads, some of 'em
BIG, in each one of those games. Almost all of them came down to a bad
coaching decision, be it playcall, personnel (leaving better players on the
bench)or playcall + personnel. Having Matt Schaub dive into the turf on
before the fieldgoal vs. Tennessee, removing Andre Johnson from the field,
tightening up the formation, and trying to pound CHRIS BROWN up the middle
of the line (our WEAKEST POSITION) at the Cardinals, having CHRIS BROWN,
throw a HB Option pass on SECOND DOWN while down TWO SCORES at the
SIX-YARDLINE at the TOP OF THE FOURTH QUARTER when Schaub and AJ got
you down to the 1st-and-goal situation at the Jags, and many more...

What has Kubiak done to merit patience enough to amass the talent level
of the San Diego Chargers before achieving his FIRST WINNING SEASON?
"Winning Season" is a SMALL thing to ask when the company line is a
quest for CHAMPIONSHIPS. You gotta win your DIVISION TITLE FIRST! We
haven't sniffed 4-2 in division play in FOUR YEARS?

Is being the "Best Looking 8-8 Team in the NFL" a high-enough standard?

Absolutely not. However, I feel confident in that this is a young team that will grow together and learn how to win those close games, especially with (hopefully) an improved running game. This team has a chance to finish 9-7 this season and are in the mix for a playoff spot. Are they really that far off from what was expected of them going in to this season? I know those close losses, especially the ones to devision rivals hurt, but at the beginning of the year I thought they were still at least one more year away from realistically making a big impact. They're about where I thought they'd be, so maybe that's why I'm not as disappointed as so many others.

So many of these posts are very similar to what people posted last year...the team is a year away..next year we're really going to make some noise.

And so it continues.

Until Payton Manning retires or is kidnapped by alien UFOs, Indy will remain the champs. I will settle quite nicely for a 10-6 or 11-5 record (considering our 2010 schedule) and a wild card spot. We had better go at least 4-2 in the division next year though, or it's all meaningless again.

pretty much. we have pretty much proven that Peyton owns the Texans. he could probably retire with the best record against a divisional foe of any long-tenured starting QB. I know Favre owned Detroit for a while and Roethlisberger has owned Cleveland since he came into the league (till late this season that is)

Peyton just won't let his team's lose to the Texans and he will use every trick and dirty rotten scoundrel tactic to get the win. For me, he is the best NFL QB of all time. Not the winningest or the best arm, but the best QB in every sense of the word. On the field he is both a general and a coach. Hopefully the guy will think about retiring in a few years if they go undefeated and win the Super Bowl. They would trash any team besides maybe New Orleans. Chargers are the only team with any shot of beating them and I don't know if they can upset the Colts two years in a row at Lucas Field.

This was our year to make our move. 4th place schedule. AFC East and NFC West schedule. Titans lose Albert. Jags have offseason problems and questions about viability of franchise. Colts have rookie head coach and Harrison retires/Gonzales goes down Week 1 for the season. Things set up for us this year. Even the late season swoon by some of the AFC playoff candidates has worked out for us. We just failed to start playing football until 25% of the season was over and choked away a bunch of ideal situations to get wins against divisional opponents.

great post thorn. keeping it real. we have to have some major improvements before we can gain hold of this division whilst Peyton is in command.

So many of these posts are very similar to what people posted last year...the team is a year away..next year we're really going to make some noise.

And so it continues.

yup just like 'How can Carr throw downfield if he is always on his back. Joe Montana would suck behind this Offensive Line'

and who can forget the time honored classic of 'Tom Landry had a losing record and he wasn't fired and that worked out pretty good for Dallas'...

...yeah, well that was 50 freaking years ago, genius.

Reactions: J_R
we should just keep drafting linemen intill this thing works :P

Maybe you were joking, but this team needs good linemen on both sides. I wouldn't argue against drafting linemen high in the draft. The only problem is we've had some terrible decision making on the linemen we've been drafting.

This was our year to make our move. 4th place schedule. AFC East and NFC West schedule. Titans lose Albert. Jags have offseason problems and questions about viability of franchise. Colts have rookie head coach and Harrison retires/Gonzales goes down Week 1 for the season. Things set up for us this year. Even the late season swoon by some of the AFC playoff candidates has worked out for us. We just failed to start playing football until 25% of the season was over and choked away a bunch of ideal situations to get wins against divisional opponents.

And there it is. I want everyone to read the above paragraph, and read it 20 times to committ it to memory. It describes perfectly why we should be so pissed.

EVERYTHING was aligned for us this year. EVERYTHING. In addition to what Second Honeymoon wrote, we also had a perfectly timed bye week, and a Titans team that came out 0-6.

We didn't capitalize on ANY of that.

And now we're expected to believe that next year, with the NFC EAST coming in, that we're suddenly going to be ballers? Come on.

You can't be serious. Key injuries? OD wasn't injured until halfway through the season. We started screwing up long before that.

Lack of depth at key positions? Uh, didn't we draft 90 tight ends in the last draft? We have depth on tight end; Gary just doesn't know what to do with it.

It takes times to acquire all new starters? We HAVE all new starters since Gary took over. These are all his players that he chose.

Giving Gary "a little more time"? How much time does he need? Sean Payton took over New Orleans at the same time as Gary came here and he damn near has his team in the Super Bowl.

Four years is enough.

Back