6'9" 325 Sam Lightbody

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ATX, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

anybody know anything about this giant? sam lightbody, noticed him on the roster. man, this guy is huge.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I was alittle disappointed that this guy wasn't a DE.. it would be tough to throw around with his hands up (ala "Too tall" Jones)

4. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

He has the size of Jon Ogden, heres hoping that he has the ability of Ogden too. :thumbup

5. DRIFTAWAY

DRIFTAWAY All Pro

a 6'9" 325 pounds guy named lightbody. go figure.

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

The length of your arms has nothing to do with your ability to hit the weights and work out properly. Short armed guys usually have bigger bench press totals but you don't do much bench pressing on a football field. While having a strong pecs and delts is important, trunk strength and lower body strength is much more important to being a good blocker than a guy who can bench a ton.

8. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

thanks, I wasn't sure how all that works, being that in the olympics those Greek and Turkey guys are short but they sure can lift a ton

Back to topic.. What I am reading is he is sound in his technique and stuff. I hope at the least he makes practice squad.. I don't know why, but he seems interesting

9. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

increasing strength is something that is easy too. all you need is some dedication in the weight room, its not like he has to have coaches help him change certain techniques that he has used his entire career

10. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

We wasted our time last year talking about another "huge" tackle who did not make the team. Not even sure he made the practice squad. Anyone remember Brad Lekekkker. Not sure how to spell last name. He also got huge bonus of 25K.

11. texasguy346

texasguy346 Mod Squad

I believe he was on the PS, and I think he's with Oakland now.

12. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

yeah he's with oakland i think his brother chris is with arizona...both are huge guys...with lightbody if he is given time to develop he could be a solid back up at RT...don't believe he has the feet to be a LT in the NFL

13. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

I would like more info on Lightbody. I am all for my hometown boys!
    GO WAZZU!!!!!! :thumbup

14. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

maybe he could play the power forward spot on the rockets.

15. Texan Dave

Texan Dave Veteran

Their's plenty of big guys who can move and never even play in the NFL, or any other professional sport. Physical atributes don't necessarly make you a good football player. Their was a guy on my highschool football team who was 6 foot tall, weighed about 215, and was a monster in the weightroom, and ran a consistant 4.3 fourty. He was probably one of the worst football players I was ever associated with, the coaches tried him at every position on the feild. In college, I played with another guy who was a DT, this guy was another physical phenom, and we used to roll him all over the practice feild. Look at Sloan Thomas, great speed and size, but just doesn't have what it takes to be great right off the bat, while Wayne Chorbet is a farily productive reciever.

16. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

That is the most important thing, sounds like a smart player thats very coachable

17. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

we all hope these guys end up being gems that casserly finds in the undrafted free agency...but there is a reason these go undrafted...and for every priest holmes there is probably a hundred or more guys that never make it past the rookie camps...while lightbody, brown, smith, and others have the size to make it they have to have the other intangibles to be a good football player

18. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Of all the undrafted free agents that have made it in this league, the majority have been Olineman. I'm not saying any of these guys are going to turn out to be gems are anything, but just keep bringing em in and lets just keep our fingers crossed that we can find some quality back ups or a future starter or two. Olineman are usually taken so late in the draft anyway that if they do suffer a injury or something they can be pushed right off the board, where as other position players that have injuries are just pushed to the second day or lower rounds.

19. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

.... remember last year's OT longshot ..... had a funny name with lots of k's .... Lekkerkker ... something like that ...

20. Sweetkme

Sweetkme Guest

I am very happy that Sam is on the Texans, I think he will be a great asset to the team. :excited: