53 man roster, guesses after 60 minutes:

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

QB: schaub, rosenfels, boyd
    RB: green, brown, taylor, slaton
    FB: Leach
    WR: AJ, KW, JJ, AD, DA
    TE: OD, Dressen, Krause
    OT: Brown, Winston, Butler, Frye
    OG: Briesel, Pitts, Studdard, (Weary?)if healthy and we keep 10
    C: Meyers, White
    KBrown, Pittman, Turk

DE: Mario, Colvin, Cochran, Weaver, Kalu
    DT: Okam, TJ, Okoye, Maddox
    LB: Demeco, Bentley, Diles, Greenwood, Adibi, Thompson (too versatile to cut
    CB: Fletcher, Reeves, Bennett, Molden, Faggins (only while Dunta is PUP'd)
    S: Demps, DBarber, Brown, Harrison, Earl

If we keep 10 OL, then maybe we cut Maddox and use Weaver more at DT and only go with 8 DL, using Thompson as a backup DE.

Buhlman was consisantly the slowest man off the ball at the line of scrimmage. There's no way he makes the sqaud if that doesn't get corrected.

Butler and Frye's performance at tackle secure their spot and likely sign the release of Salaam, barring injuries.

Bruener is just too stiff and slow for this scheme and he was playing behind Dressen.

2. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Deljuan was looking pretty good. He's going to be tough to cut.

3. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

they wont cut Salaam in Browns rookie season for 2 unproven players when Frye still has 2 years of PS eligibility... come on.

Bulman will make the team. if he cant fix the off the line problems at DE they will move him back inside where he is more comfortable and cut Maddox IMO.

4. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

QB: Rosenfels, Schaub.
    RB: Brown, Green, Walker, Slaton.
    FB: Leach.
    TE: Bruener, Daniels, Dreessen.
    WR: Anderson, Davis, Johnson, Jones, Walter.
    T: Brown, Butler, Frye, Salaam, Winston.
    G: Brisiel, Studdard, Weary, Pitts.
    C: Myers, White
    K: Brown
    P: Turk
    LS: Pittman
    DE: Cochran, Weaver, Williams, Bulman
    DT: Maddox, Okam, Okoye, Johnson.
    LB: Adibi, Bentley, Colvin, Diles, Greenwood, Ryans, Thompson.
    CB:Bennett, Fletcher, Molden, Reeves, Robinson.
    S: Brown, Demps, Harrison, Earl.

Here is my best guess, I think the one on the thinnest ground is probably Harrison, I like idea of him as he is the smart Standford kid.... but Barber or some other S may get there ahead of him.

Other controversial (?) moves being no Kalu and only 1 FB.

5. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, there is NO way we keep 11 OLmen. It's unlikely we keep 10, though possible. So, figure out who of those 11 you'd cut because at least 1 will definitely not be on the roster.

6. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

is it that unreasonable that we'd keep 6 RB's? including Leach. i think it's 3 QB's or 6 RB's. after watching Butler and Frye I will officially jump onto the cut salaa.... i will watch them closely next saturday to decide salaams fate.

safeties are tricky. both harrison and barber looked good. earl has experience, we'll have to see what happens in the next week or so when those two get some reps with the 1's.

side note: roberson looked good. excited about him on the PS.

man, bulman looked slow off the line. i never saw the okam aggressively to the ball thing. they don't make the team if that continues. but i'll wait to call okam out since so many others seemed to see it.

i think WR's and CB's are a lock at this point baring injuries.

i don't see weary coming back from his situation.

i don't think bruener makes the squad either.

OL locks are Brown, Pitts, Meyers, Briesel, Winston, Butler, Studdard (i don't know why), White. That leaves Salaam, Frye and Weary and Weary is against the odds because we are deeper at G because so many of our guys can play that position. So I only have 8 for sure OL's. Maybe we only keep 9.

2 QB's
    6 RB's
    5 WR's
    9 OL's
    3 TE's

7. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

Kubiak seemed pretty sure he wanted 3 QBs during the offseason but im with you. 6 rbs makes more sense seeing as, so far, we havn't seen any life in the running game and the more weapons you have the better off your going to be.

8. Polo

Polo Guest

Ben Moffit looked pretty good to me....

He missed that one guy is space, but the guy seemed to have a good nose for the ball...

I wanna see more of him...

9. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

isnt Frye and Studdard still PS eligible? if so they both stay regardless of Salaam and Weary. Okam will at least make the PS also. I'll have wait on the TE situation. Bruener I think is too valuable in short yardage blocking situations and in the lockerroom to write him off just yet.

The RB situation is still too early to call. I can see Chris Brown getting dumped in favor of a "to be named later" signing wich I'm sure is emminent. I think they will hold on to Green unless he can't show some promise of things to come at some point during preseason. Chris Taylor is on the bubble unless he can get consistent and block well. Slaton will make the team at least on the PS as inurance on the walking wounded.

10. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

You can't stash players on the P.S. They have to clear waivers weekly to be on the P.S... So, there's no way Slaton goes on the P.S., probably not Okam, Studdard, or Frye either- particularly if Frye looks as good in upcoming preseason games as he did Saturday.

By the way, barring injury, Chris Taylor definitely makes the team!

11. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

agreed Taylor is in although, it disturbs me to say, the only reason i can think of so far in the preseason is because of his versatility to play FB. i mean come on 10 carries and a whopping total of 19 yards doesn't shout shoe in and i know that the run blocking is never up to snuff but you still have to be disappointed with that showing. I still think we can squeeze Frye and Okam into PS but Studdard is a lock seeing how many true guards are on the roster.

12. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

I'd say if Kalu keeps playing like he did against Denver, there's no way he'll get cut. That guy that he was going against is listed on Denver's depth chart as their starting right tackle and it was such a mismatch that the guy had to hold Kalu on 2 consecutive plays, resulting in 20 yds. in penalties. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it up. Apparently that surgery has made a new man of him.

13. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

As much as it pains me, we'll probably have to keep Weaver simply because of his cap figure. Dude is just so unproductive though.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Here's my rough estimate, subject to change at any moment:

QB: Schaub, Sage, Boyd
    RB: Green, Brown, Slaton, Walker
    FB: Leach, Taylor
    WR: AJ, KW, AD, DA, JJ
    TE: OD, Joel Dreessen, Ryan Krause
    OT: Brown, Winston, Salaam, Butler
    G: Brisiel, Pitts, Studdard
    C; Myers, White

DE: Mario, Cochran, Colvin, (ND Kalu/Weaver)
    DT: Amobi, TJ, Okam, Robinson, Bulman
    LB: Demeco, Greenwood, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Cooley/Thompson
    CB: Bennet, Reeves, Fletcher, Molden, Faggins
    S: Demps, CC, Ferguson, Barber/Harrison

Pittman
    Turk
    Brown

PS - Brink, Harrison/Barber, Moffitt
    PUP - Dunta

I think ONE of N.D. Kalu and Anthony Weaver make the team. It might be Weaver.

I think Deljuan Robinson and Bulman make the team and might play DE in running situations.

I'm not sure between Kevis Cooley, who's doing great things on special teams, or Chaun Thompson who I heard a lot about coming INTO camp but haven't heard much about since then.

And one of Harrison and Barber makes the team and the other goes on the practice squad. I like what I've been hearing about Barber so I think he's going to get the nod. It was hard for me to cut Glenn Earl, though. I have a hard time imagining him getting cut. But Ferguson has looked pretty good. I'm just not sure about what's going to happen with the safeties.

15. bollocks

bollocks Veteran

QB: Schaub, Rosenfels, Boyd.
    RB: Green, Brown, Walker, Slaton.
    FB: Leach.
    TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Bruener.
    WR: Johnson, Walter, Davis, Anderson, Jones
    T: Brown, Salaam, Frye, Winston
    G: Brisiel, Studdard, Pitts, Spencer.
    C: Myers, White
    K: Brown
    P: Turk
    LS: Pittman
    DE: Williams, Weaver, Cochran, Bulman
    DT: Okoye, Okam, Johnson, Maddox
    LB: Ryans, Colvin, Adibi, Thompson, Bentley, Diles.
    CB:Bennett, Fletcher, Molden, Reeves, Robinson.
    S: Brown, Demps, Harrison, Earl.

PS: Brink, Barber, Moffit
    PUP: Robinson

Just a guess, I wont be able to make an educated guess until after the last preseason game.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:goodpost:

I think I can agree with this roster. It's going to be interesting to see who gets the last DE, DT and LB spots.

I'd like to see more of Krause the next couple of games. He's looked good during camp and I'd like to see someone beat Bruener out of a job.

Thompson needs to get his butt on the field, and fast!

17. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

I don't think Bulman can stick as a DE- He was ridiculously slow off the ball on Saturday.. probably because he's still in a 4 point stance, which is a big problem at DE.

Also, I think you have 52... also, you have Robinson on the roster and on the PUP..

I think we might go with a 9th Lineman and probably Faggins if Dunta is PUP'd

18. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

You know I've been thinking about this...always dangerous I know.

If they wanted to gamble and reward Salaam...I don't think too many teams would pick off a OLT over thirty with a recently scoped knee. Let him dangle for a week or two, then resign him to a better salary. It would afford them extra time to evaluate the young'uns. Keep a bubble guy they really have hopes for for anther week or two.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He might have meant Roberson. Other than the interference call Saturday, he's had a good camp. If I had to choose between Roberson and Faggins....it would be Roberson. :cool:

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Keep in mind that Taylor was out all of last season and is coming back from an injury. I wasn't surprised that he did little against the Broncos. They run our offense for all practical purposes and our OL isn't exactly nailing it every time out.

Now if Taylor can't improve on that through the next couple of games then I think yeah, he's not picking it up.

Okam I think makes the final 53 as does Frye.