53 Man Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Aug 26, 2010.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Well, the season is looming. As excited as I am, the high expectations have officially taken a toll on me and I find myself anxious and just a little morbid. I intended to write an article discussing the depth chart I am expecting and the one that I am hoping for. Things got away from me a little bit, but I decided there are enough fellow crazies around here that it may still be a worthy read:

The Two Rosters: The one that Should Be and the one that Will Be

Henry David Thoreau said that “Men live lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them”. Thoreau wasn’t even a Texan fan. As cutdown day looms next week, I have a harsh reality to come to grips with: the Texans are going to screw up my roster. Some people may laugh at my bravado. After all, who am I to suggest I know better than the Texan coaches who should be on the team? I am me. Despite my love and respect for the current organization, I can not escape the reality (however ludicrous) that I believe I know better than they do what personnel decisions to make. There is a fear that eats away at me in moments like the one looming next week. Frederich Nietzche called most of mankind the “bungled and the botched”. He said that there are a select few people destined for greatness and the rest of man kind is left flailing hopelessly at it. Occasionally, a man has a moment and is teased at the prosepect of greatness, but in the end, it is only a tease, and he is destined for calamity. Perhaps this is also true in the NFL. The Texans have clawed and worked their way to respectability and appear on the verge of something special. What if it is an illusion and they are destined to fail? Some teams can make one bonehead decision after another: Dallas Cowboys forced out Jimmy Johnson, drafted Quincy Carter in the second round, traded two 1st round picks for Joey Galloway, traded a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams, fired Bill Parcells, etc…. And yet, here they are again on the brink of more championships.

The question I am going to be asking myself next week when the Texans keep at least two of: Frank Okam, Chris White, Kris Brown, Fred Bennett while exposing (three of) Rest of Article

Scooter and beerlover like this.
  2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

First I would like to say your input is very much appreciated & really enjoy reading your posts.

Second I feel that in the best interest of Texan organization they keep both Kris Brown & Neil Rackers. Realize that is a valueable roster spot but so is getting this decision right & so far I've seen no evidence that anything is close to being settled. Another question mark is special teams return game. If Jacoby is going to be the return guy taking duo roles one way to add that roster spot back is to cut Andre Davis.

Can also cut/release Fred Bennett, if he clears waivers which he probably will the Texans could always resign him if injurys pile up in secondary. Texans could also save roster spots on the DL & OL by focusing on their 7 man rotations, someone with PS eligability could still be stashed here.

Other than that I pretty much agree with you whole heartedly :handshake:

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Would you dress both of them on gameday? This makes absolutely no sense. If Kubiak hasn't seen enough in the preseason (which would be his own fault), then he just has to go with his gut. Hopefully, his gut reminds him of the MNF game versus the Titans last season. Just close your eyes and pick one, Gary.

dalemurphy's prediction of a FA RB makes sense. That, or pick up one in a trade. I have high hopes for Foster, and I haven't given up on Slaton. But there's too much uncertainty to not bring in another back.

Other positions that could be upgraded on the waiver wire:
    QB - If a vet doesn't make the cut (especially the Vikes 3rd stringer)
    DT - The Texans need a big body, just not Frank Okam's big body
    LB - Will Adibi and Clark be ready for the season opener?
    S - Don't the Texans always grab a safety off the waiver wire?
    KR - A solid returner always seems to fall through the cracks

4. beerlover

I could see them do this, yes. Use Kris for kick-offs & 40+ yard FG's he does have the stronger leg of the two & let Neil kick under 40 yard attempts plus extra points (best fantasy option). Not to mention kickers get injurys too, not sure how but they do plus the proverbial hot & cold streaks. Texans are already on the hook for millions owed Kris (someone could actually break down just how much could be recoverd if cut) while Neil has already pocketed I think about 350,000 just to come into camp for tryout, another million locks him in for the season.

I agree with this too.

5. Battle Red Flash

Battle Red Flash Veteran

I think it was settled last year when Brown missed too many needed field goals. The man was booed at home when he came out to kick extra points. The Texans can't keep two kickers and can't keep Brown.
    We saw what he was last year. If you cut Rackers then Brown misses one against Indy, the fans will go nuts and Rackers will be gone. Rackers has a better history than Brown and didn't hurt us last year like Brown did.
    --The team should not keep two kickers and from a PR standpoint, they cannot keep Brown over Rackers.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

WHile I see BLs point on keeping both kickers at least for a couple games to see how both do under pressure, I just do not see that happening. I can not tll which way it will go but expect both to get minutes until pre-season ends. I know it is nice to let a guy go early to give him chance to sign elsewhere but Texans need this to be the right choice made at the very end.

7. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

This is definately an important decision for Kubs to make.
    As we all know kicking cost us some games last year (evne though that was not the only thing) so it needs to be set for this year.

I'm sure one of them will get cut on the last roster day-regardless of which one stays I really hope the coaches step back and pick the best one.

8. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    QB: Schaub, Orlovsky
    RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Johnson
    FB: Leach
    TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Graham
    WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson
    OL: Brown, S Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard, W Smith

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Sheppard, Jamison
    LB: Ryans, (Cushing), Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Sharpton, Clark*
    CB: Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McMannis
    S: Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber
    K: Rackers
    P: Turk

*Clark gets cut when Cushing returns.

This is what I want, definitely not what I think will happen.

This is what I think will happen:
    RB: Foster, Slaton, Henry, Ryan Moats
    TE: Daniels, Dreesen, Casey, Graham
    WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Dickerson, Anderson, Davis
    OL: Brown, W Smith, Myers, Caldwell, Winston, Butler, Brisiel, Studdard

DL: Williams, A Smith, Barwin, Okoye, Mitchell, Okam, Cody, Nading
    LB: Ryans, (Cushing), Diles, Adibi, Bentley, Sharpton, Clark*
    CB: Jackson, Quin, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McMannis
    S: Pollard, Wilson, Nolan, Barber
    K: Brown

9. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

TK, I am terrified that Jamison is going to get cut in favor of Nading. That would be a huge mistake, I think. Jamison is going to be good as soon as he gets snaps, IMO.

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Me too. Nading is awful deluxe.

11. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Nice read. I guess I will scribble down what I have right now. Bear in mind (wait, right "bear"?) that I have not been able to watch the first two games, so I am going off of last year, people's opinions on the boards, and the information I have from scouting the last draft. This is also just going off players on the roster. I am pretty sure the Texans will look to pick up someone's cuts, but that is way to hard to predict.

RB: Foster, Slaton, Johnson, Henry
    WR: Johnson, Walter, Jones, Anderson, Dickerson, Davis
    TE: Daniels, Dreessen, Casey, Graham
    OT: Brown, Winston, Butler
    OG: Meyers, Caldwell, Brisiel, Studdard, W. Smith, S.Smith

DE: Williams, Smith, Barwin, Jamison
    DT: Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Okam
    OLB: Diles, Sharpton, Greenhouse, Adibi
    MLB: Ryans, Bentley, Clark
    CB: Quin, Jackson, McCain, Molden, Reeves, McManis
    FS: Wilson, Nolan
    SS: Pollard, Barber

K: Brown

One of the LBs get cut when Cushing returns.

12. beerlover

or PS (Greenhouse) :)

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Yeah, it is between him going to the PS, or Adibi or Clark getting cut. I remember people being really high on Adibi when he was drafted, but he has not done anything in the pros. However, he is very athletically gifted. Clark has experience, but Greenhouse is a special teams beast. They all have their pluses and minuses. I dont envy the coaching staff having to trim the roster.

14. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I can see Kubiak getting ripped no matter who he chooses. If he goes with Rackers and he misses a game winning/tying 50+ yard FG I can see people saying he should have chosen Brown, or if Brown misses an easy 35 yard FG people will say he should have chosen Rackers. Does Kubiak go with the better leg or the better accuracy?

15. Dwade

Dwade Veteran

Accuracy is more important, Rackers is almost automatic inside 45, maybe 50...we don't attempt enough 50+ for that to be important.

16. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Danny is already on IR I thought.

17. beerlover

this lol: Kubiak has to look for safety in numbers or its his neck :choke:

18. False Start

False Start On # 69

Or turn his back, and guess who is better.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That sounds like Shelley Smith. IMHO, putting him on the practice squad is just going for numbers, and not quality. That's not where we should be. I think he is clearly better than Wade and White. I would keep him on the roster, cut both Wade and White, and call it a day. If something happens, I'm sure both would still be available later on in the season.

I'd actually like to see Shelley starting at LG, with Brown, Myers, Caldwell, and Winston. Butler & Briesel would round out that group.

20. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

Cut Wade?! The same Wade Smith they gave 4 yrs, 12 million to? I doubt that. Too early to admit that mistake, if it is one.