$50 million under cap next year??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Koolaid Time, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Koolaid Time

Koolaid Time Drink Up!

I saw a post over the weekend that said the Texans were going to be $50 million under the cap next year...

Was that accurate?

Runner likes this.
  2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

If so, I would be extremely stoked!! But I really don't think so....

3. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Thats before signing any rookies or FA.

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap2008.html

Vinny was kind enough to sticky our salary cap info from houstonprofootball.com above is 2008.

It has under under the Cap at about $38 mill.

That is with no dead money, we still need to sign some FA's, and draft picks.

It will be interesting to see how Carr and Domanick will play out....with the cap situation.

After that we still have to figure in the 2008 draft class...and the rest is pretty much for FA.

Not quite what is expected but they way Smith is squaring away our cap situation we will have more to play with next year and even more for years to come.

5. CaptainPatriot

CaptainPatriot Veteran

Maybe Texans can be PATS of this year next year in FA's. Heard PATS just picked up WR Kelley Washington of Bengals! Can you say RELOAD :yahoo:

Think the colts have a yellow stain in front of their pants now. Can't wait for the draft! :dance2:

6. Texan_Bill

I am extremely curious what the "dead money" for 2008 would be.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Right now there is no dead money in 2008. There won't be any until the team takes advantage of the June 1st cut rule allowing them to spread some of the cap hit to this year and next.

$50 mil may be very possible because there are only 27 or so players signed thru 2008--HPF.com has it at about $38 mil right now.

8. Ole Miss Texan

Me too...Carr could be part of that and definitly DD/W. What's the deal with Moulds...did we allocate all his guaranteed money to the 2007 cap? And as of now are the big releases we've made all on the 2007 cap?

i sure hope so...'08 is gonna be nuts.

9. clandestin

clandestin Veteran

None so far, but I expect Dominick Williams and Wong add up there. Dead money won't be anything like it was this year with Walker, Wade, and Robaire's contracts all hitting.

10. Texan_Bill

I gotcha. I wasn't sure how the likes of Payne, Moulds (potentially Carr), etc. would impact 2008. But the closer to the 50 million mark we can wind up - the better...

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Being under the cap is meaningless if you have a bunch of people becomming UFAs. Infantry said there will only be 27 players signed through 2008. That means we've got 25 more to sign.

12. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

if we do have a lot of money next year I hope we don't be the Titans of this year, sitting with a bunch of money, releasing good players and not signing new ones.

13. Texan_Bill

I know what you are saying GTexan, but let's wait to see who those 25 +/- UFA's are... I mean a good portion of those guys could be guys leftover from the C & C factory... Obviously there will be some that you would want re-sign.

Just saying it could be a good thing.

14. infantrycak

Weary is the only one who is likely to get a substantial contract.

15. South Texan

South Texan Veteran

Since the owner's name is not Bud Adams and the GM's name is not Casserly I am not too worried about that happening.

16. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Hey its great to think that we will have a team that is worth they money.

It is one thing to be a poor team with a high salary, it is another to be a mediocre team with cap room.

I think this sort of thing is a big sign that the front office is getting things sorted out.

I love the post C & C era!! :yahoo:

17. trutxn

trutxn Veteran

Current dead money is at $24 million, this is from Walker, Smith, Payne, etc. Currently we are scheduled to have $0 in dead money next year. If we were to cut DW or DC before June 1, the majority of the cap hit would be this year. If we cut them after June 1, we could spread out the cap hit over this year and next year, meaning we would acquire about $4 million in dead money next year. If we traded Carr we would owe him $4 million this year because his signing bonus was spread over a couple years.

With that being said, we currently have $19 million in cap space, not counting this years FA signings and of course the rookies. So if you add the dead money to our $19 million you would be looking at $43 million in cap space. From that $43 million you still have to subtract the teams signing bonuses, which would drop the figures into the $30 million range. Then we would have to add the NFL's cap raise of about $9 million a year. Depending on this years FA and rookie signing bonuses we will have roughly $39 million (about $35 mil w/out Carr) to use in FA next year. With this much money available to us, we will be able to go after the best FAs available. Kubes and Smity know what they are doing! Anyone study who is going to be a FA next year?

18. Ole Miss Texan

UFA's 2008

Adams, Charlie
    Alexander, Roc
    Anderson, Charlie
    Clark, Danny
    Earl, Glenn
    Hutchins, Von
    Kalu, N.D.
    Killings, Cedric
    Leach, Vonta
    Orr, Shantee
    Simmons, Jason
    Weary, Fred
    Wynn, Dexter

RFA's 2008

Brown, C.C.
    Gado, Samkon
    Hodgdon, Drew
    Johnson, Thomas
    Maddox, Anthony
    Mathis, Jerome
    Steele, Ben

Bolded are the main guys I would definitly like to be back. The others, well and those bolded of course, will depend on how they play/contribute to the team. I am not sure of some of the special teams guys and how they contribute..i'm sure some are listed above but if they're good keep 'em....i guess this post was useless lol sorry.

19. infantrycak

On a trade, all unprorated signing bonus accelerates to the year of the cut--there is no dead money in future years.

20. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Off the top of my head, one player I would definitely have interest in would be Terrell Suggs.