5 who could follow the Saints (from Pete Prisco)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanBacker93, Feb 12, 2010.

1. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

2. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

I think were going to make that Jump!

3. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

After watching the playoffs this year I didn't think there was a team that the Texans couldn't, scratch that, shouldn't beat. They have to find a way to avoid the little mistakes that they make during close games. Maybe the 4th Quarter comeback against the Pats will spark that. As Peter King stated during Super Bowl week, people watch us wondering what we will do to implode this week. That has to stop and there is no reason this team can't play in February. I'd love to beat Jerry Jones and the Cowboys in their stadium.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

OK read... not really saying a lot.

What I think is interesting, and think we should probably start discussing, is that we've been in this situation before.

2004, we went 7-9. We thought we were going to be the next big thing, & the media were starting to tag us the same way. Then the bottom fell out.

I'd like to know what it is about this organization now, that will make that less likely to happen again.

My first thought, is that McNair has taken a seat further back in the bus. I think the biggest reason for the 2-14 season, was that David Carr had no accountability. Everyone in that locker room knew what the single biggest thing holding the team back was, & the head coach didn't have the power to do anything about it.

I'll admit there are some similarities with Kubiak. I don't know the rhyme or reason, why he'll start a Wali Lundy week 1, but make a Steve Slaton come in slowly, or an Arian Foster to come in even slower. Personally, I think the more pressure is on, the more conservative he wants to be. I think he needs to get over that.

I think our run game would have been much better, if he moved Caldwell to Center, started Arian Foster earlier, and or given Moats the ball more.

I know he has his reasons for all the moves he made, or didn't make, but I can't understand why he wouldn't put game changers in the game.

5. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Prisco definitely suffers from relying too much on the stats in this case. Antonio Smith was worth the contract he signed. He started a little slow, but he was the most effective defensive lineman we had in 2009. He was great against the run and in the second half of the season he was consistently getting pressure on the QB.

6. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

After the 2004 season the Texans took a hatchet to their roster in an effort to get younger, and the old guys they kept just got older.

If anything, this year they will try to add veteran experience instead of cutting the heart out of the defense. It would also be nice if we didn't fire the offensive coordinator at the beginning of the season.

7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I saw this article the year before and the year before that. Until it happens, then I'll believe

8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Agfreed. I was very impressed with what he showed last year. He is very disruptive.

9. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Yeah, I'm a little sick of it myself... but it's a long, LONG offseason.

10. Joe Texan

Joe Texan Inducted 04

We are gonna make the Jump and watch the waggon rock

Malloy likes this.
  11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We all knew before last season started we had the ability, but could we? Well, here we are again before the next season knowing we have the ability, but will we?

Same ole same ole. Wait and see. Still though, I love me some Houston Texans anyway. :)

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Accountability... some Texans fans would like to see more of this.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

But, weren't we a little delusional last year... Before we knew what we had in Cushing, G.Quin, and before we acquired Pollard, I thought we were a 10 win team. Of course it was possible to win ten games even without those heavy contributions but everything would've had to fall perfectly. We certainly couldn't afford all the injuries we suffered on offense.

I guess my point is that, from a talent standpoint, we have increased our margin of error. Another good off-season will increase it further. So, the odds are much better for a playoff season, despite what any of us have experienced in the past or any doubts we have about the coaching staff.

14. Khari

Khari Administrator Staff Member

Jump Jump
    The Mac Dad will make you Jump Jump
    The Daddy Mac will make you Jump Jump

:kingkong:

Scooter likes this.
  15. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

What scares me is the

jags
    titans
    colts

can all make the jump has well

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

17. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Considering what they've gotten out of the ghosts of free agents past, agreed. We had to pay a little more for hm because we aren't winners yet. I was well pleased with his performance. With Barwin under his wing, they both will make each other better as the seasons go on. Which in turn should make all the front seven much better.

I disagree with his player must step up. They need to at least an upgrade with competition at guard. And everyone should know by now whom I have the man love for. And whom I believe is the perfect fit. Iupati.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I disagree as well. IMHO, the person that needs to step up is the CB playing opposite Glover Quinn. It's a shame when your 4th round rookie plays better than your Franchised Corner.

19. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

TY old man, ty :)

20. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

By what standard?

Quin played 497 snaps in coverage, and gave up 587 yards, at 11.5 ypr/ 7.5 ypa.
    D-Rob played 618 snaps in coverage, and gave up 544 yards, at 10.3 ypr/6.7 ypa.

Both had 0 interceptions.