4th Year Pressure?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TEXANS84, Jan 26, 2005.

1. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Here is an interesting fact that I found searching on ESPN mmode.

So in your mind (after reading the history on the past 5 expansion team's history) feel that the heat is on this organization's development? Or do you feel that the team is headed in the right path, and we'll get there eventually.

2. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think the pressure has been on since last year. People have very high expectations out of this team.

I wouldnt say they are guaranteed to go to the playoffs, because anything can happen. Carr could get hurt. Robinson could get hurt. It just depends on alot of factors.

I would like to see them follow in the other teams footsteps though. :)
    But maybe win the superbowl.

3. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I actually feel both. There is heat on this team to make it to the playoffs and quite frankly everyone is expecting a playoff season this year. I do however feel this team is headed in the right direction and if everything continues to go as it has, we will be a winning team for many years to come.

You also have to remind yourself that Houston is in a more parity league than alot of those other expansion teams. :howdy:

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

As many posts I read here that dog the team, I think the pressure started last year.

5. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

like my dad always said "take your time and do it right, or you'll have to come back and do it again". <--- And i'm sure yall can figure out what that means.

OKOK it means if it takes a little longer (building our team), but will end up better than take your time (young talent for years to come). If ya rush it and it only works out for a little (vetrans with not many years left) while ya will have to start all over from scratch (rebuilding) !

6. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

Pressure is on all teams, not just our expansion team. (ex.,Miami trying to come back from the ashes)..it seems to me that too many people have blinders on, which is all Texans all the time and cannot see the big picture and what other teams are doing.
    Have to always remember there are 31 other teams out there working/drafting/scheming to do the same exact thing we are trying to do. It's a bunch of trial/error/luck to all involved...
    Super talents don't pan out, injuries occur, players age, etc. No one can have a clear picture of what's to be.
    Getting everything in place at exactly the right time is a job for brilliant minds... along with the trial/error/luck component of it all/ all season long.

7. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I remember the Houston Oilers went 8-8 and then The Tenn Oilers went 8-8, and then the Tenn Titans went on to the Super Bowl and they made the playoffs consecutively after that. They did alot of it through the draft, and picked up a few FAs to help along the way and they also made some cuts that many people questioned. Sure they were bad now but it took a while for that to happen.

8. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

The parity thing makes it MUCH more dificult to do, but I think we have a reasonable shot at it next year. Given the division we play in, it won't be easy, but can be done. It will take some good FAs, good draft and a bit of luck, but it is before us to do.

9. TexansTrueFan

come on sassy ya had to go and ruin my little fantasy where i thought that we were the ONLY team drafting, signing, trading and trying to improve our SB chances. So much for the day dreams,, back to the real world, that really sucks other teams are trying to tmprove as well,,,,hmmm who woulda thought !

"sorry for the sarcasim just couldnt help my self" :banana:

10. powda

powda Hall of Fame

offhand, i have no idea how things worked out with the bucs......but......the panthers, jags, and even the lowly browns all recieved more expansion benifitts then did the texans. i'm also willing to bet all of the aforementioned teams were in easier divisions...

im not sure its fair to compare them against us though i would say a case could be made for the browns...

what i am fairly certain of is pressure to win in houston. the fans want it
    ( booing the qb any indication to you? ) and the team expects it.

9-7 or better and a strong push at the wildcard is what i consider reasonable.

11. dan7

dan7 Veteran

"Pressure" is for tires....as long as the team drafts well, stays healthy and the players that were on the 2004 team improve their level of play in 2005...then the Texans will improve.

Here's how I deal with "pressure": I do what I can and then let everything else take care of itself....

12. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

No problem ..you're cool. :)
    Sometimes ya get to reading what everyone has to say about the Texans, and the wide-eyed dreamers seem to act like it's a win-win situation all the way for the team every year when they get a few pieces in place.
    Just keepin' it real, like others are trying to do.. :D

13. TexansTrueFan

i know what ya were trying to do, and its good to keep people on this earth and stop em from day dreaming a little to much, and when they do that is when the Fire Capers, Fire Palmer and fire anyone they can threads start showing up. And i really hate it when people set their expectations to high and take it out on people like ( Carrs wife/ Beer ). But i gotta say it is fun to day dream about our boys bringing a SB home to houston :hmmm: !!!

14. fresno8

fresno8 Veteran

We're going in the right direction. Good draft/fix the line and a little improvement/luck and we're 9-7 or 10-6 I think that's a realistic expectation. 9-7 or 10-6 probably will get us into one of the wildcard spots.

15. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

I expect the Texans to make the playoffs next year, but I dont think that if they dont then they'll be run out of town.

16. YodAa

YodAa All Pro

I think the Texans will be gret next year and will win the AFC south and get into the wild card game but if they don't they can't use the expansion team excuse for a bad season anymore

17. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

9-7 or better

18. rhc564

rhc564 Veteran

...just don't tell Capers 'cause-remember-it's a 5 plus plan

19. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:howdy: Now Bud why the name calling. If Derrick Johnson was there at 13 and Marcus Spears was there in the 2nd round . We should go ahead and draft a TE no matter what or we're fools. I don't buy that a bit. Indy plays a cover 2 and it works because they rush the passer. That way you can't throw deep. Its been proven theres 500 ways to catch a catfish .

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

We have a TE who is capable of consistantly beating a LB one on one--Miller. What we don't have is a complete TE that doesn't signal the play or an OL that will keep Carr on his feet long enough to hit the TE/WR's consistantly enough. All that said, another (since I remain hopefull about Joppru) complete TE would be a good pickup but nothing that has to be forced into a particular round--plenty of holes remain.