Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4th round Trevardo Williams De/OLB

Lance Zierlein ‏@LanceZierlein 55s
I thought Trevardo Williams was a solid 3rd and one of my favorite 3-4 OLBs on the board. Great edge burst. Love that pick for Texans

John Harris ‏@jharrisfootball 1m
Is it bad that I like Trevardo Williams potential more than Sam Montgomery? That said, I don't dislike Montgomery, but Williams can fly

12. TREVARDO WILLIAMS | Connecticut 6012|241 lbs|4SR Bridgeport, CT (Bridgeport HS) 12/31/1990 (age 22) #48

2012: (12/11) 42/13.5/11.5/1 PROJECTION: 4th Round
2011: (12/11) 43/15.0/12.0/2 MEASUREABLES: 6012 | 241 | 32 1-4” | 9 3-8" | 77”
2010: (13/7) 29/9.5/4.5/2 COMBINE: 4.57 40-YD DASH | 1.58 10-YD | 30 REPS | 38” V | 10-4 BJ
2009: (13/1) 19/2.5/2.0/0

STRENGTHS: Rocked up frame with very good muscle definition…quick feet to sidestep blocks and move fluid laterally…good get-off speed with a quick first step off the edge…active hands to initiate contact and burst past blockers with acceleration…very good natural strength and works hard in the weight room…plays with naturally low pad level to win with leverage…good hustle working to the play and recovering after false steps…productive starter, school record with 30 career sacks.

WEAKNESSES: Tweener size and traits and doesn’t have the frame to get much bigger…struggles to anchor and too easily redirected by blockers…doesn’t always play as strong as he looks, getting swallowed up by blockers and struggling to disengage…undeveloped counters and needs to work on his rush moves…suspect instincts and discipline, biting on fakes and losing contain, too often turning his back to the LOS…needs to consistently finish when in the area…unproven in coverage.

SUMMARY: Moved to the U.S. in 1999 from Jamaica and thrived at football and track in HS…showed obvious improvement with every rep and was consistently productive the past two seasons as pass rusher, setting the school-record for sacks (30.0)…good footwork and get-off quickness, but easily engulfed at the POA and ends up going where blockers want…has LB size, but was used as a hand-on-the-ground DE…tweener skills project him to a stand-up LB hybrid role in a 3-4 scheme.

11.5 sacks last year, a 4.57 at the combine. Nice

I ****ing love the sound of that... Didn't know much about him but that alone makes me feel like this was a good pick. Still hope we get Rodgers, Swope, or Patton if we can. Would be a HUGE and imo an amazing draft regardless of the rest of our picks tbh.

I think Wade Phillips is more concerned about the outside pass rush than he is the ILB next to Cushing. Williams looks like an explosive pass rusher.

Brooks Reed is our new ILB.

Still too early to say. These guys won't be seeing the field if they can't act like Pros.

But there's a good chance you're right.

I like the pick, gives us options & the ability to not have to force anything... including the move of Brooks to ILB.

Yup, help at two positions, but boy are we going to be inexperienced on the outside.

It might be too much to ask, but we can still rotate Brooks on the outside and the inside. If Brooks can handle the load, it could give Wade a lot of flexibility.

Our rush package... wow. We've got a ton of options for our Dime.

Have to agree it appears Reed to ILB & am not sure about that. Wade is licking lips at getting this pure speed pass rusher. One trick pony, but so is a quarter horse. Good pick. Still want to see A J Klein in 5th for ILB. WR or S?

I can see Reed playing inside in the base set then kicking outside during the nickle when we take out a LB to bring in Swearinger

Great draft so far. This one is pressing the 06 draft as my favorite of the Smithiak era. I'm particularly impressed given our low drafting position.

When I look at this guy, I see Bruce Irvin big time. Kind of a one trick pony - and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Unlikely to ever be a 3 down player, but in the 4th rd that is fine. Irvin was a one trick pony and was a 1st rd pick.

In the current world of the NFL, some of your most valuable players are those that can protect the QB, and those that can go get him. And with our FA losses, we needed at least one OLB, and we got two.

We added Montgomery who I view as a more versatile guy that can possibly start. But this guy is pure edge rusher and in some respects may have a bigger impact. And getting that in the 4th rd? Love it!

Another solid A pick.

I know nothing about the guy, so I'll consider it a good pick based on comments here. BUT - ILB will consist of a guy that's never played the position, a guy coming off a major knee injury (usually takes 18ish months to get back to normal), and a couple backups that got exposed last year. You have to be nervous about that.

I know nothing about the guy, so I'll consider it a good pick based on comments here. BUT - ILB will consist of a guy that's never played the position, a guy coming off a major knee injury (usually takes 18ish months to get back to normal), and a couple backups that got exposed last year. You have to be nervous about that.

I think at this point, we have to assume that we are moving Brooks Reed to ILB or have some FA target in mind. I'm as worried about it as you are.

I think at this point, we have to assume that we are moving Brooks Reed to ILB or have some FA target in mind. I'm as worried about it as you are.
Yes and perhaps they have a FA Nose in mind also. Seems odd to leave the middle so fragile with Mitchell starting with ? at MLB. Just not sold on Reed yet but next to A 100% (?)healthy Cush, okay I guess.

That's the guy I referred to as never playing the position before. He could do well, or he could struggle with the transition. But her played on the line in high school, on the line at Arizona, and on the line here in Houston. Now he'll be expected to play ILB. That's a more significant transition than I think most people consider it to be. Instincts at diagnosing plays is a skill that ILB has to have more than OLB.

Reggie Herring all but confirmed the move of Reed to ILB this year, citing about 20 times they asked him to read and cover last year and how good of a job he did.

Herring said this made him feel better since the guy they had as a LB went right before T.Williams, so that changed their complexion.

In other words, there was more talk about Brooks Reed as opposed to this new pick.

With the pick of an OLB and a DE already, I think it's safe to also assume that Cushing is coming along well and possibly ahead of schedule. If so, that is GREAT news!

Also, with Brooks playing ILB maybe down 1 and 2, but moving to OLB for passing situations with Swearinger possibly coming in to take the ILB spot next to Cush. Just a thought.

You can't solve all your problems in one year, but I do hear what you are saying. And when you solve that one, others will come up. That's the never ending nature of the NFL. It's like a bucket with many leaks. As soon as you plug one, another leak starts.

We'll have to hope that Reed can make the transition, and like others mentioned I could see him playing in or out, providing a lot of flexibility. In this defense (and the NFL in general) give me a guy that can go get the QB vs. a guy that can help plug the middle and stop the run. The NFL is now a pass happy league.

If it's still a weakness, then the 2014 draft we could get one in 2nd or 3rd round. You simply cannot take care of every need you have in one draft.

Lastly, we still have 4 picks. It's quite possible one of those is a developmental ILB that can help on ST and start if injuries occur.

We still need a NT, TE, and ILB, but in the last 3 rounds, I think you look at developmental guys at nearly any position - with special consideration for guys that can help on ST.

I like this pick. I think our pass rush is going to be better. That said I'm not sold on reed to ilb. I guess we'll see.

That's the guy I referred to as never playing the position before. He could do well, or he could struggle with the transition. But her played on the line in high school, on the line at Arizona, and on the line here in Houston. Now he'll be expected to play ILB. That's a more significant transition than I think most people consider it to be. Instincts at diagnosing plays is a skill that ILB has to have more than OLB.

I agree, I think it would be a risky thing the rely on. Not to mention, we still need depth at ILB.

You can't solve all your problems in one year ...

No, of course not. And I'm not against the pick, per se. I just would rather have seen them draft an ILB to go with whatever DE/OLB they draft. If one of those two picks was an ILB, then you'd have Cushing, Reed, Mercilus, and two draft picks to cover 4 starter spots. And that's not even counting any further draft picks that will likely cover depth, nor guys like Dobbins, Braman, and maybe Ruud. But since they went all outside rush, they're relying a little more heavily on the Reed conversion and Cushing being 100% than I like.

But hey, this is just April, so you never know how things will pan out.

Reggie Herring all but confirmed the move of Reed to ILB this year, citing about 20 times they asked him to read and cover last year and how good of a job he did.

Herring said this made him feel better since the guy they had as a LB went right before T.Williams, so that changed their complexion.

In other words, there was more talk about Brooks Reed as opposed to this new pick.

That's what I was afraid of. He was referring to Sean Porter of A&M, who I thought we would definitely pick up. He went to the Bengals six spots ahead of us.

I'm not worried about NT as much as others because the position just isn't that big in Wade's defense these days. They are mainly out there for running downs and we didn't have an issue there last year and Mitchell played it better than Cody. Anyone we get at this point is only for depth purposes as chances are they aren't beating Mitch out.

Now ILB I would rather we grab someone. Yeah Reed may move over but as others pointed out it isn't as easy a transition all the time. Plus counting on Dobbins who is a more seasoned vet who had some injuries last year and Sharpton who is his own M.A.S.H. unit is a bit scary.

I like this pick though not just for pass rushing but special teams. To say we had no speed on that unit is an understatement.

I love these edge players. We sorely lacked in that area. Also, I'm still not counting out braman. But we have options and competition now.

I agree, I think it would be a risky thing the rely on. Not to mention, we still need depth at ILB.

With Reed inside you have Cushing, Reed, Sharpton, & Dobbins. That looks like plenty of depth to be honest. Maybe 1 more later in the draft for competition & youth purposes, but that seems to be plenty.

As far as Reed going inside, I think he will be fine. As it was stated earlier Reed dropped in coverage & played in coverage quite often. He seems to be able to read & react. In fact, if recall correctly thats exactly how he got injured. Playing in coverage. I think the transition will be fine & obviously the coaches believe he can handle it as well. I would consider Reed a step up from any of the other options we had playing in the middle last year not named Cushing.

With Reed inside you have Cushing, Reed, Sharpton, & Dobbins. That looks like plenty of depth to be honest. Maybe 1 more later in the draft for competition & youth purposes, but that seems to be plenty.

As far as Reed going inside, I think he will be fine. As it was stated earlier Reed dropped in coverage & played in coverage quite often. He seems to be able to read & react. In fact, if recall correctly thats exactly how he got injured. Playing in coverage. I think the transition will be fine & obviously the coaches believe he can handle it as well. I would consider Reed a step up from any of the other options we had playing in the middle last year not named Cushing.

It's hard for me to rely on Sharpton as anything really. Dobbins will be good for this year, if he remains healthy, but for how much longer? What if Reed doesn't take well to the every down transition? It's a risk.

A lot of folks are assuming we receive the Cushing of old. The guy is coming off a major surgery. I just hope the Texans aren't being overly optimistic about his progress. Things are going to be real ugly if he can't perform up to his normal standards because these other guys are just guys. No real studs in the bunch.

A lot of folks are assuming we receive the Cushing of old. The guy is coming off a major surgery. I just hope the Texans aren't being overly optimistic about his progress. Things are going to be real ugly if he can't perform up to his normal standards because these other guys are just guys. No real studs in the bunch.

Exactly. I think 2014 Cushing will be back to form, but 2013 Cushing is going to be a bit more ordinary.

Montgomery and T williams seem like polar opposites to me. Im not worried about reed inside...can Montgomery handle the strong side? Williams is mercy's breather. Swearinger will cut into playing time for both of these guys...im ok with that.

Can I get a nose tackle?

It's hard for me to rely on Sharpton as anything really. Dobbins will be good for this year, if he remains healthy, but for how much longer? What if Reed doesn't take well to the every down transition? It's a risk.

I hear you on Sharpton. Maybe they limit his exposure to the field in every aspect & he will remain healthy. Lol! Still a body that is considered depth.

I understand the concern around Reed, I just believe he is quite capable based on what he was doing as our OLB. He had to read & react in coverage & did an adequate job IMO. After this team survived & played decent last season w/ the multiple ILB's that all seemed subpar, IMO, it seems Reed is an upgrade based on his coverage abilities & he is a stout force that should be able to handle the run up the middle. I like the move. Reed & Cushing staring at you straight up the middle will be an intimidating look IMO.

The more I watch this guy and Montgomery the more I love these picks. Williams is going to give us burst off the edge that we don't have. Both he and Montgomery bring ferocity to the pass rush.

The more I watch this guy and Montgomery the more I love these picks. Williams is going to give us burst off the edge that we don't have. Both he and Montgomery bring ferocity to the pass rush.

I'm going a step farther and saying that quite a few of our picks including these guys bring quite a bit of nastiness and swagger. Even the offensive guys do. Swagger is overrated to me, but at times last year we lacked confidence. I don't get the feeling from any of these guys with our first five picks have problem with confidence whatsoever.

Montgomery and T williams seem like polar opposites to me. Im not worried about reed inside...can Montgomery handle the strong side?

Montgomery stacks the point of attack as well as any olb in this draft. I am worried about any man coverage responsibilities on anything more than a 3 sec count, especially extended crossing routes against quicker backs or tight ends. I think the speed is there but not the fluidity. Watched some T Williams game tape, love this pick with a little coaching he is going to be instant impact this year 5 or 6 sacks easy.

Watched some T Williams game tape, love this pick with a little coaching he is going to be instant impact this year 5 or 6 sacks easy.
I just saw Williams vs NC State, and he terrorized Mike Glennon. I just wonder if he has enough strength to shed blocks in the NFL. I guess size wise, he compares to Dumervil and James Harrison. But, those guys just seem more bulked up to me. There's no questioning William's quickness, though. As good as the Jordans and Mingos in that regard.

Mr. Williams to be on 610 am in a few minutes.

Edit: I misunderstood them. They are talking to the fan that got to announce the Trevardo Williams pick :/

Double Edit: They are actually going to talk to Trevardo next :)

Connection was kind of bad so hard to understand him fully, but he Talked about Ryan Griffen and said he's a good play maker. He said he's not extremely familiar with the Texans Roster beyond WATT. But he knows that we have a lot of good young players. He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed. He has always been a high energy guy that loved to run since he was a kid.

He's kind of quiet, but he sounds like a smart guy.

I could easily see us leaving Reed where he is and starting this kid next to Cush over Dobbins by mid year.

I can also easily see us bumping Reed inside next to Cush with Williams Montgomery platooning at SLB.

We've got so much versatility with the draft of this kid its ridiculous.

Connection was kind of bad so hard to understand him fully, but he Talked about Ryan Griffen and said he's a good play maker. He said he's not extremely familiar with the Texans Roster beyond WATT. But he knows that we have a lot of good young players. He's from an area in Jamaica know for speed. He has always been a high energy guy that loved to run since he was a kid.

He's kind of quiet, but he sounds like a smart guy.

Also, it sounds like another UConn player, WR, is thinking about signing with us as a UDFA. He said that guy had "gorilla hands" and could catch anything thrown to him.

Back