4th Round pick, Tyler Ervin RB San Jose St.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MistaRed, Apr 30, 2016.

1. MistaRed

MistaRed All Pro

Speed, speed, and more speed.

281 likes this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

GRADE
    [​IMG]
    Tyler Ervin (RB)
    HT: 5'10" WT: 192LBS.

POSITION: RB

SCHOOL: San Jose St.

ARM LENGTH: 29 3/4"

HANDS: 9 1/8"

Overview
    At his size, Ervin looks more like a slot receiver than a running back. Spartans coaches got him the ball in the backfield regularly the past two years, however, and it paid dividends as he led the team in rushing in 2014 (888 yards, four scores) and 2015 (1,469 yards, 13 touchdowns). Ervin's likely to play a rusher/receiver/returner role in the Dexter McCluster mold on Sundays, as he caught 73 passes for 642 yards the past two seasons in addition to his rushing work. His ability as a kick returner (2,374 career yardage, three scores) should also earn him credit among scouts.

Pro Day Results

Short shuttle: 4.34 seconds
    3-cone: 7.03 seconds

COMBINE STATS
    • 40 YARD DASH: 4.41 SEC
    • BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
    • VERTICAL JUMP: 39.0 INCH
    • BROAD JUMP: 130.0 INCH

ANALYSIS
    Strengths
    Short-strider in tight confines with ability to make sudden directional change. Despite lanky frame, doesn’t run with any fear between the tackles and doesn't look to bounce runs unnecessarily. Combines smoothness with quick reaction time to avoid traffic in the backfield and slalom his way through shifting, fluid creases along the line of scrimmage. Plus lateral escapability. Quality hands and can function as pass catcher with some matchup potential. Very good play speed and can punch the gas to top speed quickly. High-knee runner who can gain yardage in chunks if run fits break down. Scored three touchdowns on kickoffs over freshman and sophomore year and has returned kicks all four seasons.

Weaknesses
    Thin, angular frame that isn't built for sustaining contact. Runs come to a screeching halt against quality, bodied-up tackle attempts. Balance through contact is poor and has trouble grinding legs through arm tackles. Hits from the side cause him to go flying. Not a one-cut runner. Will take an extra step or two to gear down and cut. Size and strength limitations hinder chances of being a true, third down option at running back. Limited in his routes and times looked like he was going through the motions if he didn’t expect to get ball. On gap plays, needs to be a little less patient and a little more urgent in approach to the line of scrimmage.

Draft Projection
    Round 4

NFL Comparison
    Akeem Hunt

Bottom Line
    Ervin is a long-legged, linear runner with the vision and demeanor to be a first down runner, but the thin- frame and poor play strength that will force him into becoming a change of pace running back who will need to make his mark in open spaces when given his opportunities. With Ervin's lack of size in blitz protection, his best chance to make a team, initially, will be as a kick returner.

3. MistaRed

MistaRed All Pro

4. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Ugh. Andrew Billings was right there.

thunderkyss likes this.
  5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Unexpected (as far as I saw it) but not a bad pick. I'm starting to feel nervous about no linemen being picked so far. Those last two in the 5th had better be linemen.

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, There seems to be a theme to this Texans draft.

Ervin is a great gunner on ST's immediate upgrade.

3rd down RB, a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Canplay slot WR, great hands.

7. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Lmao @ this kids nfl comparison. Really?

8. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

This one kinda puzzles me. We have Miller, Blue And Hunt at HB... I would say we are good at that Position. And als a returner I thought Brax would be our guy... Must have been a best player available Thing, because this was far from a Need pick, especially with the way our DE situation looks And with uns needing to groom someone behind Wilfork And D. Brown... And probably behind Cushing aus well... Plus Safety is also still a Need... Kind of a Head scratcher...

macho grande and TexansBull like this.
  9. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Love the player. Would have preferred to trade back before taking him. He wouldn't have made it to our 5th round pick but we had some room to maneuver there.

10. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Uh oh Akeem Hunt....

macho grande likes this.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

This kid had 5 return tds in college.

He caught 73 passes last 2 years.

Espn when the pick was announced compared him to Darren Sproles.

We got another homerun hitter. We WILL solve the issue of lack of playmakers this season.

macho grande and pirbroke like this.
  12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

A speed back and KR. They are making real efforts to address the KR/PR position that's for damn sure.

But isn't Akeem Hunt still on the roster? Looks like a clone of Hunt to me although this guy appears to be a PR candidate where Hunt isn't.

I would have taken Billings even though he's only a 2 down player.

Still...if he works out at PR then it was a good pick. B-

13. 281

281 Hall of Fame

As someone who's followed every offseason/draft we've ever been a part of, I've never seen one like this. Other team needs are being ignored, but as someone who's been craving more explosion on offense since our inception, I'm willing to sacrifice some of the usual, more holistic replenishing of talent on the team for a year. It's both refreshing and scary at the same time.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  14. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Rookie

I was hoping for a TE, but I can't complain... looks like a solid pick. With us not taking DL I'm starting to think Clowney might be going back to DE and I would welcome that change

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

There WERE better players to take with that spot, so they must be filling some kind of need we're (fans) not agreed on.

16. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

It's pretty apparent that our front office feels like speed on offense has been an issue. They're really giving it the college try to fix that, aren't they?

PapaL likes this.
  17. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Rookie

Don't the Texans still have like 11 mill in cap space, or am I mistaken

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Loving this draft.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Either Texans have guys in fifth they know they can get or they expect OLine and DLine to be more solid than many of us do. I am hoping for Kyle Murphy and DJ Reader in 5th

thunderkyss likes this.
  20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

This board has been complaining about speed on offense for years. You're getting it this offseason.

ObsiWan, DocBar, Grams and 10 others like this.