4th Round, Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFanatic, Apr 28, 2012.

1. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Was projected as high as the third round.

No complaints on this pick from me.

Thoughts?

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

return skills

3. toxictrix

toxictrix Rookie

Kubes really really wants Jacoby gone. Hahaha

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

From the NFL draft analysis page.

5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

LOL, three threads. Mods are gonna kill us. :lol:

6. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Absolutely.

7. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

And Martin is projected to figure in the return game as well. That's a double bye-bye for Jacoby.

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Smallish for a WR at 5'11" and 180 pounds

Very productive:
    "2008: (10/0) - 11-132-12 2009: (13/2) - 18-411-22.8-5 2010: (11/5) - 32-394-12.3-1 2011: (14/9) -- 66-777-11.8-4. Career (2008-'11) - 64 carries-540-8.4-3. 47 KORs-1,100-36.6-1. 65 PRs-659-10.1-2. "

Durability concerns:
    "Missed most of the Northwestern, all of the Iowa and all of the Minnesota games with high ankle sprain in 2010. Missed the final two games of the 2008 season with a broken clavicle. Slight frame makes durability that much more of a concern."

Good intangibles:
    Hard worker. Brings added value as a strong special teams contributor.

Separation Skills:
    "Needs polish, especially in terms of setting up defenders. But has outstanding suddenness and has the potential to excel in this area. Can drive corners off the ball and threaten cushions quickly. Shows good suddenness and pop coming out of breaks and can separate from man coverage. Needs to do a better job of avoiding contact and become stronger as a route runner. Shows good awareness for soft spots working against zone coverage. "

Ball Skills
    "Hands are a bit inconsistent. On one hand, flashes ability to snatch on the run. However, can allow too many throws to get into frame which can result in some drops. Lack of size and arm length (31 5/8) limits his catching radius but does show ability to elevate and pull in high throw. Shows adequate body control and flashes ability to open up and make tough catch outside of frame. Can struggle at times to find and track the deep ball. "

Big play ability
    Possesses the top-end speed to take the top off of defenses. Also shows an extra gear to track down the deep ball. Top-end speed and quickness provides with the ability to create yards after the catch. Extremely dangerous when finding daylight and has the speed to ruin defenders angle in pursuit. Slippery as an open-field runner and can ward of arm tackle attempts. Lack of size and strength limits his ability to win one-on-one downfield battles. Dangerous returner on special teams with the vision and speed to exploit seams in the coverage.

Competitiveness
    Though not a powerful open field runner he runs hard has enough balance to pick up some yards after contact. Willing to go over the middle and expose frame to big hit. Doesn't offer much as a blocker but flashes ability to get in position. Needs to be stronger with ball carriage as a runner and will allow ball to get away from frame in traffic.

All from http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28673/keshawn-martin

9. G27RR

G27RR WATTch Out!

Vertical guy, can replace Jacoby on returns. I like it, he was on my list. Fast, very athletic and he can get up there - 39.5" vertical!

10. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Great, great pick!!! :hurrah:

Greg Cosell loves this guy ..... one of his fave WRs.

Returns skills to replace Jacoby added bonus.

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    #Texans @ 121. Keshawn Martin. @GregCosell fave. 5'11/188. 4.43 40. 18 career TDs, scored 5 different ways. PR & KR. Goodbye, Jacoby Jones.

Adam Caplan ‏ @caplannfl Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    @gregcosell tells me Keshawn Martin can also play outside, but is best used in the slot.

Lance Zierlein ‏ @LanceZierlein Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Very happy with Keyshawn Martin to Texans. Might be more game ready than Posey

11. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

So true

12. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I like this pick. I know people aren't big on Posey, but our WR depth is leaps and bounds better then it was last year.

13. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Excellent. I'm liking this pick.

14. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

I like the pick. Bye bye Jacoby.

15. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

Has a 76 rating on NFL.com.

Overview

Martin is an explosive mover who is quick off the snap. A two-year starter for Michigan State and productive after short catches, he can take a bubble screen the distance. Athletic enough to be the superior guy against most DBs. He is a very good speed-variance route runner who can keep corners on their heels and toes. He has fourth-round value.

Analysis

Strengths
    Martin is good at varying his speed. He can make ridiculous moves with his feet while still running full speed. He is explosive when moving off the ball and gets to top speed very quickly. This is usually how he dials up his routes, as he is into them before the corner is even ready. He uses this same foot quickness to get open at the top of routes. He has the speed to be a deep threat at the next level. He will work a lot of screens looking to get behind blocks of bigger receivers outside.

Weaknesses
    Martin is uninspired when it comes to blocking. Despite decent size, he isn't very strong and just looks completely uninvolved. The same can be said when going across the middle; he is unreliable with defenders draped around him and needs to be completely open to finish the play.

16. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Dont love it, dont hate it. He pushes JJ out the door, but I dont think he becomes anything more than a 4th, maybe 3rd, receiver. Solid pick, but not one that I would have made (sorry TK).

17. Brando

Brando Site Contributor

18. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I'm liking this draft more and more. Still don't like the the Posey pick, but don't absolutely hate it, either. I'm willing to wait and see.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Who doesnt ?!

Dont you dare post that ****ing gif.

20. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

#fact