4th and 1 Fail

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Shaft75, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

We all know that we chose to run the ball on 4th and 1, straight into the strength of the Ravens defense - Ngata & Cody & Ray Lewis. This was a pretty ballsy/insane call to me. You're on the road, in a playoff team's house, and playing a ferocious defense. Why not send the punt team out? Hell, if you're going to go for it, why not call a pass play?

Also, I heard a caller on 610 say that on the same play Walter was uncovered on this play. Did anyone else see this? I'm hoping that this guy was just a little worked up and made this up. If not, it makes this play a triple dog FAIL.

:gun:

2. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Punt team? I could be wrong (I'm trying to forget) but I thought they were in field goal range.

In a hostile environment, not down by much, early in the game------you take the 3 points.

EDIT: The more I think about it, that was probably out of Rackers' range. Like 60 yards?

3. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

He was uncovered, yeah. I wanted the FG, but regardless, not getting the 1st kept us in the game thanks to the Ravens O being, well...the Ravens O.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

A playoff team that can't get a yard? Hmmmm.... :thinking:

5. alphajoker

alphajoker Hall of Fame

Foster also had his facemask grabbed and the ref's missed it.

6. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think the Saints are a playoff team. And they got stuffed twice.

7. Reggie

Reggie Rookie

I'm pretty sure we were well into fieldgoal range and i was fine with the call, but i think something like a sweep to foster where he can either get around the edge or make a cutback for a yard goes to his strength as opposed to trying to hammer it up the middle or off guard.

8. bo orlando

bo orlando Veteran

This is one of those plays that exposes a lot of the contradictions of the Kubiak haters. If he kicks a field goal then it's "go for it, you gutless prick. if you want to beat the ravens on the road you have to TAKE IT." So he goes for it, and it's "why aren't you kicking? we need points!"

And as for the play call, if Kubiak throws there it's, "RUN THE BALL! We have ARIAN FOSTER!"

buddyboy likes this.

9. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I remember the facemask. That was some effin BS, but still, we didn't make the yard that we needed.

Can anyone dredge up a screencap of that play with Walter uncovered. I just have a hard time believing that our braintrust would miss that.

BTW- I would consider myself a sunshine pumper, or I could even be called a LOSER at this point. But this sh*t is really getting old.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

how often have you seen a coach pass up a FG in the first quarter of a game from the 20 yard line in a one score game? I've been watching football for 4 decades and I've only seen it once to the best of my recollection.

11. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I liked the fact they went for it, I really do. To bad they didn't make it.

12. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

I'm certain there are folks who will find fault with Kubiak no matter what he does.

Believe it or not, I wanted him to take the 3 points before he made the decision to go for the first down.

And I don't hate Kubiak. I like him a lot. But I've come to the conclusion after nearly five and a half years of .500 football that his team is not improving.

13. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I call BS.

You take what the defense gives you. They were not going to give up the run yesterday. We had 1 on 1 coverage pretty much all game.

Also, you have to avoid running the ball into a big ass brick wall. A run should have been to the outside if a run was called.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

exactly..

I can only see two instances for going for it ..late in the game and if you are in "no man land" where it might be a hair too long for a field goa
    l

15. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The Saints are a playoff team. The Texans are not. :runaway:

Playoff teams have the fortitude to get over being stuffed. The Texans lack that fortitude and seem to see it as a harbinger of things to come.

16. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

**** it, punt anyway. I like our odds on a big play with Ravens pinned down. More so than the oh so fragile Matt Schaub or our interior line that weighs less than Mt Cody's left leg moving his rotund ass.

After one of Matt's sacks where he curled into a ball and cried like a child, I thought he was gonna audible to a punt on 3rd down. Like a quick kick type thing.

17. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

Actually they tried to rip Fosters head off on that play. I only saw one replay but it seemed that he might have gotten the first down with a second effort had his head no been dislodged.

18. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Well, the next Ravens play was a fumble, which led to our TD, so not so bad.

19. Rey

Rey Guest

Honestly I don't have a huge problem with going for it.

Not getting it is kind of a problem though.

20. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

There is a lot of people on the board so you will get someone to complain no matter what happens. So you have to look at who is upset about something and how many people think it was not a good decision.

Most coaches kick there, Kubiak outsmarted himself(about the only person he has been able to outsmart lately). But, if you must go for it at least go against the other teams weakness. If it were the Colts you run it up the middle, not against the Ravens.