43 or 34 first rd picks

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by PHILLYTEXANFAN, Dec 2, 2013.

1. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

Khalil Mack 34 OLB - Buffalo

Or

Jadevon Clowney 43 DE S. Carolina

2. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I would rather have Anthony Barr.

3. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Yeah, I've watched Barr a lot since the beginning of THIS season and like him a lot for 3-4 OLB. Didn't get a chance to watch him last year.

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

The kid is an athlete and has a motor that runs full speed unlike Clowney. Barr changed from rb to a pass rusher and dominated from day one. Over 22 sacks in two seasons.

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Barr 34 OLB

or

Clowney 34 DE

or

Clowney 43 DE

6. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

Is Clowney big enough to play DE, though? He certainly has the height but would need to add about 15 points to match Watt in weight. Grabbing Clowney as a DE would certainly make resigning Smith less likely unless he took a sweetheart deal; he'd be great in the rotation and for teaching Clowney.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Depends on the scheme. He'd be just fine in a one gap, not in a two.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

34 - Bridgewater
    43 - Bridgewater
    46 - Bridgewater
    308 - Bridgewater

We aint winning jack sh!t with the caliber of QB play we've had to endure this season ... Keenum aint the guy.

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Can't win every shootout. Someone is going to have to play D eventually.

I like both Bridgewater and Clowney. I can see a scenario where we take Clowney #1 and whatever top QB is left at #33; a Tajh Boyd type. Would that make passing on Bridgewater do-able?

10. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

In fairness, you can't win with 31 points if the other team scores 34.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

You either have a franchise QB .... or you go get one. Boyd , McCarron , Murray don't have Tom Brady potential Mariota is going back to Oregon for another season. There is no one player in this draft that could change the fortunes of this franchise more than a franchise QB. Its Bridgewater or ..... more of the same , complaining about not having that guy for another decade.

Im tired of the other teams having that guy and we just get to look forward to him carving up our defense ... Its high time the shoe was on the other foot.

WolverineFan and mussop like this.
  12. powda

powda Hall of Fame

I agree with you about the importance of a qb...but people throw about names like Peyton and Brady fairly regularly in these conversations. Those guys are 2 of the all time best and they only come about rarely. Is bridgwater that guy? I dunno and don't claim to...infact most of you guys have probably seen a helleva lot more then I have. I do agree a great qb can carve up defenses and I do agree a good qb can take a mediocre team to the playoffs...

But

I also know turnovers are one of the biggest factors in wins/losses. Seems to me a pass rush is the easiest way to create them. For all of Peytons success lets remember he had freeney and mathis tee'ing off on the opposite side. That surely didn't hurt peytons constant trips into the post season.

I say all that to get to my real point: don't overrate a qb because we need one. Dont overrate a qb because having a great one makes us a much better team. If bridge and or whoever else isn't that guy, don't make him that guy. Trust your scouting. Dont pass on the next L.T. or Reggie White for Akili Smith.

Right now I'm on board with clowney. Him and watt going apeshyt on opposing qb's sounds awesome. Both pass rushers who can stop the run as well...just wow.

mussop likes this.
  13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Tom Brady didn't have Tom Brady potential when he was drafted. He neither had Franchise QB nor HoF written all over him when he was drafted in the 6th. Drafting a QB #1 is not a guarantee that he'll be top flight.

Honestly I'm fine with either Bridgewater or Clowney, the 2 best players on offense and defense going into the draft.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  14. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

I'm not impressed with either Bridgewater or Clowney. Neither plays up to good competition, but rather dominates lesser competition. This does not bode well for an NFL player.

My choices are Jake Matthews or Barr. If a top 5 team really wants Bridgewater, then strike a deal to move down for additional draft picks.

15. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

The same was said about Mario Williams when he was coming out (the video of him getting his ass handed to him by D'Brick Ferguson would usually follow). Many times the freakish athletes get half-assed coaching, then explode in the NFL when they are properly taught.

Again, the Texans have no QB or pass rush outside JJ Watt. Taking a luxury pick like Matthews doesn't seem to be an option

16. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

That is a complete generalization, at least as far as Bridgewater is concerned. His best games are against the best teams on the schedule. If anything it's the opposite that's true. He tends to not show up against the lesser competition and plays better against top competition.

17. VTexan

VTexan The Realist

give me the player that shows up against the big teams over the player that dominates the smaller teams and disappears when it matters. hasn't that been the problem of our teams of the last few seasons?

every
    day
    of
    the
    week