40's

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texans, Mar 6, 2005.

1. texans

texans Veteran

Does any one have Carrs and DD 40 times from the combine or pro-day just was wondering how they compered to this years draftys numbers

2. Beastlyman2003

Beastlyman2003 Veteran

David Carr ran a 4.68
    DD ran a 4.51

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Domanick ran a 4.63 40 yard sprint at the combine in '03.

David Carr didn't run at the combine, but ran a 4.79 40 yard sprint at his pro day in '02.

Davis Link

Carr Link

4. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

I think that Carr's time in the NFL might have shaved a few fractions of a second off of his time.

5. BuffSoldier

BuffSoldier Hall of Fame

But he ran a 4.56 at his pro day, read above if you havent already.

6. Chawky1

Chawky1 Veteran

Do you mean from having to run for his life every down??

7. Vinnie333

Vinnie333 Rookie

Carr's speed is one of his most unnoticed physical qualities. Sure he has a great arm and good accuracy, but IMO he is one of the more mobile QBs in the league. He is actually quite fast and thats why i think the texans should roll him outside of the pocket more often. BTW, do any of yall remember the texans-saints game in '03 when Carr completely juked out Jay Bellamy for a touchdown? :thumbup

8. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

yeah i'm sure Davids time improved more in the 40 yrd dash from his younger days, i mean geez he runs more than our running back !

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Well, the combine numbers are considered to be more accurate than pro day numbers because they're electronically timed. There were probably a dozen scouts who timed DD on his pro day. Whose watch timed him at 4.56?

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Regardless of whether it was a 4.51 or 4.63, it just kind of cracks me up that 40 times and speed are discussed as they are. People that love Williams will discount his 4.6 40 yd time and call him a playmaker and people that don't like DD will cite his 4.51 time and say he is too slow to be a threat as a RB. Maybe that kind of thing only amuses me.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's crazy. That's the reason I responded to the post. If Carr & Davis can run so-so times, then how important can these tests be? Then a guy points out a 0.07 second discrepency between two 40 yard sprints. Like there's a huge difference between 4.56 vs. 4.63 seconds. Please, you can't even blink in 0.07 seconds.

12. DBLR1

DBLR1 Rookie

Yeah, and that was on a bad ankle sprain too!

13. Vinnie333

Vinnie333 Rookie

oh ya thats right.. i forgot about the ankle sprain. that was one of my all time favorite carr moments lol. just to see a white guy juke that good.

14. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

40 times aren't that important. Game speed is what counts.

15. BornOrange

BornOrange All Pro

40 times should be recorded with pads and helmet.

Some guys just can't handle the extra weight without losing speed.

16. wags

wags Hall of Fame

I could have swore I saw you use a forty time in an effort to derail a bandwagon. :rolleyes:

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

QB's should be timed while being chased by DE's. Offensive Linemen should be timed chasing pizzas. :)

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

You must be talking about this:

I call that poking fun at the bandwagon.

In any event, my real point in this thread was not that 40 times are completely useless, but more that people are completely inconsistant on how they use them (plus as Lucky says, some people split the hair way too fine). It is like the inconsistancy people have on weights with statements like DD (220 lbs) is too small to be an every down RB, we need a guy like Portis (205 lbs).

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

40 times are very meaningful for certain positions: RB, WR, CB. For example, D.Davis is a pretty descent back, but instead of being a 4.6 something guy, can you imagine how much more of a thread he'd be if he was a 4.4 guy. 2 tenths of a second is a 2 stride margin in a 40 yard sprint and with football being a game of inches, DD goes all the way as a 4.4 guy on some plays where he in reality as a 4.6 guy he's tackled from behind. As a 4.6-4.7 guy most DBs and many LBs are => than him as far as sprinter speed goes, but as an imaginary 4.4 guy, he outruns virtually all LBs and many DBs.
    On the other hand, where one OL is 4.9 and another is 5.2 - pretty meaningless.

20. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

You mean a 4.4 guy like Tony Hollings? Speed is important, no question. But it's how you play & use your speed on the field that counts. And I really question how much can be derived by guys running in their shorts in a straight line for 40 yards. It's a very uncommon occurance in a football game. I believe the information can be used by NFL teams to help sort out some questions about prospects. But by itself in the hands of fans & internet scouts, the 40 times are blown completely out of proportion.