Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

4-3

carter08

truth.
Help ME!
I'm used to the 3-4, with 2 ILB, 2 Outside

So, with the 4-3, is it 2 OLB, and 1 MLB?

What is the terminology used

johndoe

Waterboy
weakside linebacker or will lines up on the side with no tight end

middle linebacker or mike is mostly a run stopper that has to be a beast in the middle

strongside linbacker or sam lines up on the side with the tight end

yeah 2 outside 1 in

johndoe

Waterboy
thanks. to bad the 3-4 didnt work for us it can be a great defence if worked right.its going to be great for the cowboys this year

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
I think a correctly run 3-4 defense can wreak havoc on opposing offenses (see Pittsburgh). It's a shame that our staff was too inept to put together a group that was truly tailored to run a powerful 3-4 scheme. I would have liked to seen it work out, but I have a feeling our 4-3 will be a solid core that teams will have to start game planning for.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I think Miami, under Dom Capers will have a great defense. He is a better coordinator than a head coach and in this case he gets to interact more entirely with the defense.

wrestler4life

Waterboy
I think that we will have the advantage of switching back into a 3-4 when appropriate. That should add a little unpredictability to our schemes. Somehting we have been missing.

jparrish

Practice Squad
Who's to say that the 4-3 can't be just as productive? The Bears got to the playoffs on defense alone. How well did the Colts' defense do last year? How highly touted is the Carolina defense? Denver did really well also. The Jaguars defense is pretty good as well. Baltimore is switching to the 4-3 also.

It seems like these teams follow a particular trend. They all have a good pass rush. When a defense can put pressure on the quarterback, it also gives the secondary more chances to make plays.

Chicago...Alex Brown, A. Ogunleye(sp?), & Tommie Harris
Colts.......Dwight Freeney & Robert Mathis
Carolina...Julius Peppers & Mike Rucker
Denver....Trevor Pryce, his LB's, and John Lynch
Jaguars....Marcus Stroud, John Henderson, Reggie Hayward

Now I don't know what our D-line will end up looking like, but hopefully with players like Mario Williams, Anthony Weaver (now at DT), and whoever else is going to be in on passing downs (Peek, Babin, etc.). We may turn out to be a much better defense than many of you are hoping for.

NoBullTexan

Waterboy
In rushing situations I think Anthony Weaver will line up as a DE with Mario. On passing downs he may line up inside (also with Mario) to get a quicker first step, with the Bobbsie twins, Peek & Babin, playing the ends. That is just one of the scenarios we will present to opposing offenses this year. There might be some form of the 3-4 with Payne as the NT and Mario and Robaire Smith as the outside tackles (DEs), and 4 LBs. Ought to be exciting to watch.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
El Tejano said:
I think Miami, under Dom Capers will have a great defense. He is a better coordinator than a head coach and in this case he gets to interact more entirely with the defense.
Capers isn't actually the defensive coordinator, per say. Check this thread out to understand. :hmmm:

I'm looking forward to the 4-3. Our version of the 3-4 was more of a prevent D than anything else. Stopping the run was virtually non-existent, and putting pressure on the pocket was a joke. At least now we'll have four big dudes up front than have the potential to wreck havoc off the line.