37 Days to the Draft: AFC South holes

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Tailgate, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3995370

Since its an insider article I will post all four:

2. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

/sigh

BSPN

So... They say our #1 need is linebacker because... Diles got hurt... :thinking:

Maybe the Pats should take a QB in the first since Brady got hurt.

Maybe I was smoking something, but I seem to remember Diles leading the team in tackles, and all of our linebackers in Ints/Sacks before going down. I don't know, replacing your top performer seems rather... whats the word I'm looking for? Stupid?

Right now all we have at DT is Okoye who is a pass rushing 3 technique. Replacing our current rotation of backups at the NT spot with an actual starter is going to do more to stop the run than downgrading the OLB position. Seems like that would be our biggest need.

Maddict5 likes this.
  3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

It ain't stupid to me, I agree with their assessment. Without having to repeat what I've stated many times before, I'll just say we're too slow at the position and we need speed.

4. Polo

Polo Guest

Adibi will provide speed.

I honestly don't see the Texans drafting any position and handing them the job other than RB2.

And if we bring in an outside LB I expect Diles to win the position against just about every rookie OLB that has been mentioned as being a possible choice for us. Zach is a whole lot better than people are giving him credit for. He was playing well when mostly everyone around him was playing like crap. I imagine that if he'd have remained healthy and been around when defense started to play at a better level then he'd have really gotten noteriety. But we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2009
  5. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i actually agree with goatcheese. i think a LB trio of adibi, demeco & diles is a pretty good unit. obviously there are health & experience doubts withboth olb's but is it a 1st round need?

that being said i still dont know who i want @ #15 yet but im not in love with any of the olb's. im still leaning toward a maybin/everette brown type player tbh although we also another stout DT, LB depth, another cb possibly and a safety :headhurts:

6. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Adibi, Demeco & Diles = weak, undersized unit that will get steamrolled with two weak, undersized Tackles in front of them....one reason we suck so bad stopping the run.

7. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I'd be curious to know if any of the other 31 teams (minus the 3-4's) have OLB as a 1st round need? I can't remember seeing any mock that has another 4-3 team taking one. It could be possible that we could trade way back, maybe even out of the 1st completely and still get a guy we like. It seems to me that the team has positioned itself to really have quite a few options with that first pick.

I don't see LB as a need but that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind improving the position with two question marks on both sides. At worst, we end up with terrific depth with Bentley, Thompson and either Diles, Adibi or Rookie waiting in the wings.

8. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I could see Buffalo taking a OLB.

Maybe Atlanta and the Giants too but they pick behind us.

9. Polo

Polo Guest

Comparatively speaking, Adibi is the only one in the front seven that is noticeably undersized.

Everyone else is about the average size of 4-3 players playing at there positions around the leauge.

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Adibi is undersized for a WLB but no less than Diles @ SLB. ideally you would like more length out of both positions, which translates into sheding blockers, filling gaps, wrapping up in run support & dropping in coverage.

11. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Which is why I think a 320+ lbs NT to anchor the line is the #1 need.

Diles is 6'0 240 and runs a 4.75. Cushing is 6'3 243 and runs a 4.70.

Is 3" 3 lbs and .05 in the 40 really our #1 need? Is it reason enough to try and replace your most productive linebacker?