3 seconds in the pocket

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Kaiser Toro, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Everyone says that we cannot get Carr 3 seconds in the pocket, but I am watching Manning and he sure does not hold the ball that long. Granted we do not have Harrison and Wayne, but what gives? Is it purely scheme or the QB?

2. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

I think its completely unfair to compair anybody to Peyton Manning, he will go down as one of the all time greats.

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am not comparing Carr with Manning.

4. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

you'll also notice Manning reading the defense PRIOR to the snap. He is even telling his own O-line who is the rusher and who is the coverage men.

Carr couldn't figure out a defense if they came with little flashing signs on the front of the helmets saying 'Coverage' or 'Rusher'. THAT is the biggest reason Manning doesn't need 3 seconds and Carr needs 6-7 seconds to complete a pass, IMHO.

5. phan1

phan1 All Pro

There's also the fact that he calls his own plays, so he can take advantage of a mismatch pretty much anytime he's able to recognize it.

6. tsip

tsip Hall of Fame

I look forward to the day when all the excuses for Carr's play turn into results-does everyone else work in a 'perfect' environment?

7. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

uhhh, so what your saying is in order for Payton take advantage of a mis-match, or even call his own plays, is due to him reading a Defense, correct? Which as was pointed out by me is yet another reason Carr can NOT call his own plays, cause he can NOT read a defense. I think you just said the same thing as me, but in a different manner. And pointed out how our starting QB is really at fault and HOW this affects our offensive play-calling.

8. zeplin

zeplin Veteran

I thought Carr played pretty good on Sunday. He is not Manning by any stretch of the imagination. He is by his own admission only able to audible to a run, and then only to the opposite side. That in itself is pathetic. Our coaching staff is responsable for that not Carr. How do you play Quarterback in the NFL in your 4th year and not be allowed to change the play at the line. How will we ever know whether Carr has it or not.
    Look Im not taking sides but it makes me wonder!1

9. thegr8fan

thegr8fan All Pro

honestly I don't know where the FAULT for this lies at, Carr or Coaching. Perhaps no one ever taught Carr to read a Defense. Perhaps he is simply incapable of reading one due to the NFL being pretty good at disguising it.

But no matter who's fault it is, it is still a bad thing for Carr to not be able to do this in his fourth year.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

The 3 seconds people refer to is an average. Manning does a very good job of getting many plays of in under 2 seconds like the Texans have been trying to do, BUT he also has plays where he sits back in the pocket for a long, long time--not so much against a great D like the Steelers (wow, the idea of game planning the opponent) but when he can or when needed. Watch crunch time for his OL as well--they step up and give him the time rather than folding. Manning and his OL are a good example of what is supposed to happen with both making the other look better--Manning making the OL's job easier on most plays by getting the ball out, the OL by stepping up and giving knitting time when needed for clutch highlight plays by Manning.

11. zeplin

zeplin Veteran

I agree by the 4th year you should be either able to play the position or sent down the road. One problem, we do not know for sure if Carr is capable or not, because the powers to be have not allowed it.
    `Maybe they know something we don't " Carr really can't read a defense".
    I think it is a offensive micro over managment issue. They don't trust someone else to screw it up for them.

12. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

For the millionth time this was brought up before Capers sad Carr is allowed to audible in to a run and steve mckinney said on the radio that there are pass play to audible too now how effective they are i dont know but he is allowed if he chooses not too that's Big Arm Dave's Choice.

13. Manning had many plays where he had tons of time. But have you noticed too that he "locks on" to his recievers. LOL It's too funny how people put soo much into this "locking on" bull when just about every QB does it. A huge part of Mannings offense is that all the players know their responsibilities, especially the offensive line. They also have something that we lack...the element of surprise. They come out in many different formations and run so many different routes, you don't see their WR's taking plays off. They have so many audibles that it keeps the defense on their heels and the Colts dictate what they are going to do, not just what the defense gives them.

14. yaboycm

yaboycm Veteran

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

Eli Manning doesn't even need 3 seconds. He looks better in his 2nd season than Carr ever has.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Very few NFL QB's call their own plays ... I cant think of another besides Pey-Me-A-Ton ....

Carr is limited by not only his O-line but his recievers and coaching staff as well . They have all but ruined him . They let him audible only to a few plays ...That you can tell just by watching the game ...

Someone tell me ..... What is the Main Audible play in the Texans repertoire.
    Ill give ya a hint .... Its NOT a pass :ok:

17. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

The message I have entered is too short, so now it's not anymore. :rolleyes:

18. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

I don't recall Eli getting smashed into the ground like David has either.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Manning and his receivers have worked on their timing down and have it down pat. Manning knows exactly where his receivers will be and when they'll be there. We see miscommunications here quite frequently, when receivers aren't where they're supposed to be and/or the QB throws to the wrong spot. Manning's line is a ton better than ours, but against Pittsburgh, you're going to face pressure all day, so yeah, they gameplanned for it.

20. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

we're back in our "Carr Sucks" mode ..... life is good .... it took me 5 seconds to type that ...