3-4 defense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by beerlover, Nov 14, 2004.

1. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

ITS NOT WORKING. Decimated against the Colts, first Walker (sprained ankle) Payne (agrravated knee???) then Robaire Smith. Coaching has to adjust to their players strength, we need to shift to a 4-3. If they continue to run this formation without the BIG 3 the results will be the same. This being stated it means the Texans will be forced to draft a DT with the first pick next year, hopefully they will make the WRIGHT choice.

2. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Pittsburgh, San Diego, and New England seem to do well with it. It's not the 3-4 scheme. We are just a .500 team and most of you guys don't see it.

3. TexSon

TexSon Hall of Fame

That's got nothing to do with the scheme.

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Manning is shreading everyone this year, but the chargers, Steelers, and Patriots all run the 3-4..pretty good teams...the scheme is not the problem and Roderick Wright is not that good

5. beerlover

you missed the point (I'm sure your just as pissed as the rest of us). With the injurys to the BIG 3 Cappers has to adjust his defense accordingly. The 3-4 is only successful if you have the personel to run it!

6. The Wal-Mart

The Wal-Mart Rookie

I agree with beerlover. We don't have the talent to play a 3-4. Pittsburgh and New England do. It hasn't worked for 3 years.

7. Vinny

We have been an expansion team for three years. Perhaps you missed that little point.

It's not the scheme. We just don't have as much talent or are too young in some positions. We are starting three rookies on defense. Remember what our offense looked like when we started that many rookies?

8. The Wal-Mart

The Wal-Mart Rookie

It doesn't matter that we have been an expansion team. That excuse is getting old. It is the scheme. Our 3 man d-line and blitzers rarely breaks the o-line and how many times have the linebackers been burned when covering WRs and TEs, this season alone.

9. beerlover

none....none of those THREE STARTING ROOKIES are defensive lineman. The little point is for the 3-4 to be successful is that the Defensive Tackles engage greater number of lineman, thus freeing the rest of the defense to make the plays. Sorry but its not happening without the pressure.

10. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

So the scheme missed all those tackles...brilliant

11. Vinny

We have three rookies starting and a below average ILB in Foreman. We have more pressing needs than Payne, Walker and Smith if you ask me.

12. Vinny

Yes it does. We built a team from scratch. This stuff takes time. We drafted for Offense the first two years. You just have to build a team over a number of years. You just can't clap your hands and poof, playoff team.

13. beerlover

OK I'm asking YOU. What do you think are the more pressing needs for a 3-4 defense to be successful?

14. Vinny

We need the rookies to mature and we also need to upgrade our linebackers. I doubt a rookie nose tackle can beat out Payne but I'd look at one too, but we have solid starting down linemen. The Texans just need to upgrade a couple of positions and get some experience.

You were the guy who argued with me last year about drafting a linebacker. You had at least 20 posts in that one thread telling me there is NO way we take one...and we moved up in the first round and took one.

15. beerlover

exactly, most of us wanted a stud defensive tackle like Wilfork. I'll stand by that fact (despite that you where correct that the Texans would take a linebacker) I must have forgotten that you pegged Babin and that the Texans would trade up (2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks) :rofl:

Vinny, the point is the coaching staff seems incapable of adjusting to what transpires during the game, I mean you lose all three of your starting tackles (none whom are rookies) and you do not adjust your scheme?

Oh yeah Dominack Davis scores thanks to Aaron Glen's interception.

16. Vinny

We still need another starting linebacker before we take a reserve DL. It's hard to make too many adjustments when you are the thinnest team in the league talent wise. Our starters can compete with the rest of the league, but our reserves are still expansion thin.

17. beerlover

The best OLB in the draft for the Texans in the 3-4 is Pollack out of Georgia. The best MLB in the draft is Derrick Johnson Texas. I'll admit that I would not be crushed if either fell to the Texans. What I've been resoning would be the premier pick however (not a defensive tackle) is the Strong Safety from Georgia Thomas Davis, move Earl to FS and Coleman back to CB. But I digress. Based upon the last two games performance & Cappers insistance on the 3-4 that the Texans select the top DT in the draft (of course he has to declare first) is Rodrique Wright (that was a pun in the first post just in case you missed the little thing).

This topic will be surely revisited as the season continues. I just hope & pray that Gary Walker, Seth Payne & Robarie Smith will bounce back.

18. Vinny

Yeah, we can agree on much of that and I will also agree that we need a youngster to groom for the DL. Building units from scratch is a tough task and takes time in this league. 22 starters and 22 quality reserves just don't happen in a couple of years.

19. So a switch the 4-3 is supposed to cure our "attitude" ??? What happens if one of your linebackers in the 4-3 get injured, do we switch to a 3-3-5? Oh this is laughable. Going to Indy with the one of the highest rated QB's in NFL history is one thing is a tough thing. If you want to blame someone or something, then blame the players for having no heart in this game, and blame the coaches for not using enough blitzing schemes. Then there is the offensive line and blah blah blah. It aint all the 3-4.

20. beerlover

All we are talking about here is the 3-4 so whats your point. Its equally laughable to blame the Texans for "having no heart" or "blame the coaches for not using enough blitzing schemes".

We are not addressing the offensive line or any other aspect of the Texans game planning only the effectivness of the 3-4 defense given the BIG 3 up front hurt or playing hurt against the "highest rated QB's in NFL history". Try to keep focused to subject the 3-4 defense.