Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 Texans team needs

Max

Veteran
Interested in hearing thoughts on what you see as team needs coming into 2019. Feel free to discuss particular prospects, but I'm hoping for more of a 20,000 foot view of what you feel the team needs are given what we know about the team (OL talent needed) and what you can reasonably argue we know (Fuller can't stay healthy, KJo the same, etc). For you contract guys, please interject thoughts on who you see being let go that will create a need.

I haven't studied this too closely, but my initial thoughts are:

OL: Would like to see them retain Lamm (UFA at end of the year). Rankin is a wild card in my mind. I think he fits better inside but I don't think he's going to play ahead of Fulton or Kelemete with their contracts. I think BOB tipped his hand when Davenport went out for a series this past game and they moved Lamm to LT and Rankin to RT -- I think Rankin may be done as a LT prospect. If they retain Lamm, I like Rankin backing up both G positions and RT. My #1 team need is LT. I don't think Davenport can play the position consistently without help and this offense can't reach it's potential as things are. Would love to upgrade RT as well but I place this down the list some of prioritizing needs.

WR: I don't trust Fuller to stay healthy. Get a burner that can track the deep ball and stay healthy and a LT to give W some time, and look out. Team need #2

RB: Can't complain w/ what Miller has done this year (or Blue for that matter) but we can be better at this position than what we are. I'm not counting on Foreman being what he could have been so would like to see an upgrade here. Team need #3a

DL: Interior line anchors but doesn't push the pocket. I put this position ahead of CB because I feel like if we get a guy that can get upfield here, we're not going to need to upgrade CB. Team need #3b

CB: This is going to depend on if we can retain KJax. He's going to get paid and hopefully by us. If Kjax is gone, this position goes up to #2 or #2a in my mind. If we extend him, I'm not counting on Kevin Johnson being back and JJo can't play forever. You can't have enough good CB's so I put this at #3c (interchangeable with the other 3's depending who is available to fill needs).

RT: I moved this to below WR, RB, DL and CB because I feel that between Lamm and Rankin, we can get the job done on our OL with a solid LT. But don't get me wrong, if we sign a LT and RT in free agency this offseason, I'm doing cartwheels.

Clowney and Mathieu blow this whole thing up if they're not extended. If Clowney isn't here next year, his position should be looked at as 1 or 1a depending on who is there. And I REALLY want to extend Mathieu as I think he's a glue guy that makes this defense work. Don't even want to think about if he's not here so I won't :)

You got Joseph penciled in for the next few years? I think CB is need 1B and OLB needed and ILB needed. WR that can stretch the field and stay healthy? How do you know anyone is going to stay healthy? RB is a need but how much a high draft need? Pocket pushing DT I don't know Covington did pretty well couple of games ago and Watkins will be returning. Yeah LT is probably need 1A but let's not put on blinders and ignore all others.

In my hypothetical list of needs we're keeping Clowney, Mathieu, and Damaryius Thomas, and we're drafting in the 24-28 range. Obviously if we lose any of those players then this list changes. Also I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans trade down a short ways and pick up an early 3rd. In order of need, not in order for the draft because that's dependent on who's available.

1. O-line, specifically LT but we need help at RT as well and an upgrade at both OG spots. 2 of the first 3 picks should be spent on the O-line. Unfortunately this isn't a good year for LT's especially if we're picking in the mid 20's. LT is a premium position and the good ones are going to be gone by the time we pick in the 1st so we might have to reach for someone with potential but not ready to start or wait til the 2nd round. I know it's expensive but we might look at FA's as well.

2. CB, Joseph can't play forever, KJo can't stay healthy, and KJax is better at SS. 1 of the first 3 picks should be spent on CB and it looks like a good class so this position should be filled with quality talent.

3-7. BPA at positions of need. We need an upgrade at TE, and added quality depth along the D-line, RB's, WR's, more O-line depth, OLB depth, Safety depth.

Interested in hearing thoughts on what you see as team needs coming into 2019. Feel free to discuss particular prospects, but I'm hoping for more of a 20,000 foot view of what you feel the team needs are given what we know about the team (OL talent needed) and what you can reasonably argue we know (Fuller can't stay healthy, KJo the same, etc). For you contract guys, please interject thoughts on who you see being let go that will create a need.

I haven't studied this too closely, but my initial thoughts are:

OL: Would like to see them retain Lamm (UFA at end of the year). Rankin is a wild card in my mind. I think he fits better inside but I don't think he's going to play ahead of Fulton or Kelemete with their contracts. I think BOB tipped his hand when Davenport went out for a series this past game and they moved Lamm to LT and Rankin to RT -- I think Rankin may be done as a LT prospect. If they retain Lamm, I like Rankin backing up both G positions and RT. My #1 team need is LT. I don't think Davenport can play the position consistently without help and this offense can't reach it's potential as things are. Would love to upgrade RT as well but I place this down the list some of prioritizing needs.

WR: I don't trust Fuller to stay healthy. Get a burner that can track the deep ball and stay healthy and a LT to give W some time, and look out. Team need #2

RB: Can't complain w/ what Miller has done this year (or Blue for that matter) but we can be better at this position than what we are. I'm not counting on Foreman being what he could have been so would like to see an upgrade here. Team need #3a

DL: Interior line anchors but doesn't push the pocket. I put this position ahead of CB because I feel like if we get a guy that can get upfield here, we're not going to need to upgrade CB. Team need #3b

CB: This is going to depend on if we can retain KJax. He's going to get paid and hopefully by us. If Kjax is gone, this position goes up to #2 or #2a in my mind. If we extend him, I'm not counting on Kevin Johnson being back and JJo can't play forever. You can't have enough good CB's so I put this at #3c (interchangeable with the other 3's depending who is available to fill needs).

RT: I moved this to below WR, RB, DL and CB because I feel that between Lamm and Rankin, we can get the job done on our OL with a solid LT. But don't get me wrong, if we sign a LT and RT in free agency this offseason, I'm doing cartwheels.

Clowney and Mathieu blow this whole thing up if they're not extended. If Clowney isn't here next year, his position should be looked at as 1 or 1a depending on who is there. And I REALLY want to extend Mathieu as I think he's a glue guy that makes this defense work. Don't even want to think about if he's not here so I won't :)

Some very good points but could wind up being an extensive shopping list if some of the domino's fall the other way. I've been suggesting trading back if possible b/c the team will need every extra pick they can use. The good thing about this draft......with an extra pick or two, defensive athletes are deep and there will be plenty of answers to the Texans needs scattered throughout the first 5 rounds.

I'm still very much behind drafting OL- Dalton Risner, Kansas State with the team's first pick. I just view him as a Day 1 stud OL who is smart and can play damn near anywhere on the OL. He could wind up reminding me of Bruce Mathews in the long run.

The most highly touted LT's will be long gone before the Texans pick.....even if they stay put. Trading that far up in the draft would literally handcuff Gaine once again. Not to mention, every team would know what the Texans are doing in regards to that kind of trade......damn they would hold their pick for a very high ransom.

I could move back and still get LT- Mitch Hyatt, Clemson who has been a 4 year starter at LT for the next best CFB team not named Alabama. Funny thing, Sweeney is putting better players than Saban in the NFL. Yeah, I'd take the risk of drafting Hyatt to protect Watson's blindside.....a job he's already done for 2 years.

If it were me.....not wasting a draft pick on RB, I'm just going to get Bell signed sealed and delivered. Get Miller re-signed and enter the 2019 season with, Bell, Foreman, Miller and Blue as the team's stable of RB's. With an upgraded OL, this could be the most feared running game in the NFL.

I also agree with the need of another WR. I'd really like the team to target WR- Riley Ridley, Georgia who is 6-2 @ 200 lbs and burns an estimated 4.44-40. Because of the the Bulldogs outstanding ground game, he just doesn't get a lot of action. He could be there in RD3 but I got a feeling if he hits a low 4.4-40 at the Combine of in his Pro Day......his stock could soar. I'd hate to miss out on another Georgia WR.....I was mocking Chris Conley (KC) in almost everyone of my Mock Drafts in 2015. The Chiefs got him in RD3. I'd even be fine if the Texans thought it may take a RD2 pick to get Ridley.

If the team had 8-9 picks to play with in the draft and I could somehow walk away with Risner, Hyatt and Ridley for the offense......I'd be more than happy to utilize the rest of the draft filling in the defense. I'd even entertain grabbing QB- D'Eriq King, Houston as an UDFA, which I'm fairly certain this is where he will be available.

Last edited:
I assume we keep our own, which may be a tall task but that's what I'm currently based on. I love Clowney, but I'm seeking deals.

OL - this is two of our first 3 picks with our strongest BPA attempt, regardless of reach. One must be a tackle, and hopefully our first lands on a LT. Davenport is junk at LT and Lamm is little better at RT, both being overly protected to appear competent. We need bookends.

ILB - I don't see much in McKinney and am certainly not paying him with Cole next in line, but am slowly coming around with Cunningham's growth. IMO every great team and every great defense has a great linebacker. We don't, and it shows - excessively reliant on outside pieces instead of having a king rule the board. Inside of those first 3 picks mentioned above, this is the BPA #1-3.

CB - Now and future. Sadly I think we're coaching deficient here and may do as much harm as good, but right now I would target CB athletes. If we're going to sit in Romeo's reactionary coverage ... agility, aggression, versatility, and ability to identify the play are key attributes - as opposed to length, range and ball skills.

After that I'm not sure if there is a need position, more a necessity of depth and planning. I've been a supporter of both Miller and Blue. We're safety heavy (still weird to say) with Badger, Hal and Reid. We're pass rush deficient, but adding talent doesn't move Watt inside, nor get RAC/Weaver better at making the most of our talents (hoping they're feigning stupidity for playoff surprises). Our TE's aren't pretty, but except for Graham they're effective and seemingly quick to adapt. WR is pretty solid with Hopkins and Thomas, and hopefully between Coutee and Fuller they'll maybe combine for a full season. Frankly I would trade up and hammer those positions as aggressively as possible, or at worst stay and still hammer those positions through volume.

We need a LB. I miss Demeco & Cush playing behind the LOS. & with the job Reader, Blackson, & Covington have been doing it doesn't make sense our LBs aren't getting more TFLs & sacks.

Then I want a RB. Lamar Miller may change my mind before the season is over, but right now I don't see him as Watson's Robin.

Hypothetical question. There aren't very many 1st round worthy LT's in the 2019 draft and they are most likely gone by the time we pick, would you take someone like David Edwards-OT from Wisconsin who seems to be more of a RT for the NFL in the 1st round and at least fix that side of the O-line, pick another position, or reach for a LT in the 1st that might not otherwise be 1st round worthy?

Hypothetical question. There aren't very many 1st round worthy LT's in the 2019 draft and they are most likely gone by the time we pick, would you take someone like David Edwards-OT from Wisconsin who seems to be more of a RT for the NFL in the 1st round and at least fix that side of the O-line, pick another position, or reach for a LT in the 1st that might not otherwise be 1st round worthy?

David Edwards is also going to go high in the draft b/c he's an OT. He's top 15 in my book which puts him 11 to 13 spots ahead of where the Texans will be drafting. I think there are other sound OT's that'll be available in RD2 thru RD4 so I would trade back in order to gain another pick. Throw in a tag / trade of Clowney and the Texans could find themselves with potentially 7 picks inside RD1 or RD2 to RD3 or RD4.

Possibilities (TB) Trade Back / (OP) Oakland Pick / (CT) Clowney Trade / (TXP) Texans Original Pick

RD1 (TB) / RD2 (OP), RD2 (CT), RD2 (TXP) / RD3 (TB), RD3 (TXP) / RD4 (CT)
Or
RD2 (TB), RD2 (CT), RD2 (OP), RD2 (TXP) / RD3 (TB), RD3 (CT), RD3 (TXP)

David Edwards is also going to go high in the draft b/c he's an OT. He's top 15 in my book which puts him 11 to 13 spots ahead of where the Texans will be drafting. I think there are other sound OT's that'll be available in RD2 thru RD4 so I would trade back in order to gain another pick. Throw in a tag / trade of Clowney and the Texans could find themselves with potentially 7 picks inside RD1 or RD2 to RD3 or RD4.

Possibilities (TB) Trade Back / (OP) Oakland Pick / (CT) Clowney Trade / (TXP) Texans Original Pick

Or

If there's an OT they like in the 1st they shouldn't mess around and just pick him.

If there's a LT they really like that falls out of the top10 they should trade up and pick him.

Some OT'S that could be available in the 20's could be,

Cajuste West Va.
Evans Oklahoma
Dillard Wash St.
Dailey S. Carolina

Or

If there's an OT they like in the 1st they shouldn't mess around and just pick him.

If there's a LT they really like that falls out of the top10 they should trade up and pick him.

Cajuste West Va.
Evans Oklahoma
Dillard Wash St.
Dailey S. Carolina

Cajuste West Va.
Evans Oklahoma
Dillard Wash St.
Dailey S. Carolina

My only hesitation on trading up for a LT when LT's are going to be in high demand.....how much are you willing to give up on the trade?

What if the demand was a swap of RD1 picks, a RD2 and RD3 or 2020 RD1 or RD2? Again, if the Texans are players in jumping potentially 16 to 20 spots, the cost is going to be rediculous....the team willing to trade back may see a comparable OT available later in RD1 or in RD2 and in the meantime get substantial compensation for moving back. Gaine would have to have zero doubt that the drafted LT could come in and start Day 1 while holding his ground.

Last season, we all were pretty upset that the Texans and Gaine had to work the draft without a RD1 or RD2 pick which makes me worried as to what happens when Gaine has to operate from behind the eight-ball again in the 2019 NFL Draft. The Texans will have some needs to fill with this draft and are currently missing a RD4 pick.

My only hesitation on trading up for a LT when LT's are going to be in high demand.....how much are you willing to give up on the trade?

That's a good reason to be cautious, but it's not the biggest in my opinion. The #1 reason to be very careful here can be summed up as: Drafting tackles is a crapshoot.

This article is a couple of years old, but the points made are still valid. Key take-aways:

In the past 10 years, there have been five tackles chosen either first or second overall. Above-average starting tackles today among those five: zero.

The odds of picking even a good tackle very high are long. Of the 17 tackles picked in the top 10 since 2005, only three were ever first-team all-pro

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/24/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

Would you guys double dip at OT, taking 2 OT's in the first 3 rounds (top 4 picks) to better ensure getting someone that viable? Even if one of them washes out at LT they could possibly play RT or LG. I sure hope these guys start working hard at the private camps prior to the Combine, get in better shape, and get ready for an NFL level training camp.

What if the demand was a swap of RD1 picks, a RD2 and RD3 or 2020 RD1 or RD2? Again, if the Texans are players in jumping potentially 16 to 20 spots, the cost is going to be rediculous....the team willing to trade back may see a comparable OT available later in RD1 or in RD2 and in the meantime get substantial compensation for moving back. Gaine would have to have zero doubt that the drafted LT could come in and start Day 1 while holding his ground.

Last season, we all were pretty upset that the Texans and Gaine had to work the draft without a RD1 or RD2 pick which makes me worried as to what happens when Gaine has to operate from behind the eight-ball again in the 2019 NFL Draft. The Texans will have some needs to fill with this draft and are currently missing a RD4 pick.

To move from say 25 to 12 will cost something like a 1st/3rd/5th or atleast that's what it cost when the Ravens traded up to get Flacco and the Texans got Brown.

I would do this trade in a heartbeat if there was a franchise LT available.

I probably would give up a 1st/2nd/5th to get Little if he fell.

Would you guys double dip at OT, taking 2 OT's in the first 3 rounds (top 4 picks) to better ensure getting someone that viable? Even if one of them washes out at LT they could possibly play RT or LG. I sure hope these guys start working hard at the private camps prior to the Combine, get in better shape, and get ready for an NFL level training camp.
We have 2 second rounders so I'd go something like this:

1. BPA
2. BPA
2. OT
3. OL

In an ideal world one of the first two picks would be a CB, I wouldn't risk tackle at 1 or 2 unless we're very high on them.

That's a good reason to be cautious, but it's not the biggest in my opinion. The #1 reason to be very careful here can be summed up as: Drafting tackles is a crapshoot.

This article is a couple of years old, but the points made are still valid. Key take-aways:

In the past 10 years, there have been five tackles chosen either first or second overall. Above-average starting tackles today among those five: zero.

The odds of picking even a good tackle very high are long. Of the 17 tackles picked in the top 10 since 2005, only three were ever first-team all-pro

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/02/24/nfl-draft-combine-offensive-tackles-history

Very valid reasons.

With that said, I trust Gaine's judgement.

Ricky's not calling the shots in the draft down on Kirby anymore.

1. O-Line
2. CB

Our weaknesses showed today.

Wasn't OL. I've never seen a QB hold the ball that long again & again, sack after sack. It's like the correlation never occurred to him.

WR not open, run. Run forward. Get the first down. Make the defense regret turning their backs to you. But no.... He rewarded them for covering our receivers so well.

If nothing else, I'm convinced we need to draft eight slot receivers so we never have to worry about not having a viable option in the slot ever again.

This offense was ridiculous today & it had nothing to do with the OL.

But yeah, we need two CBs.

I've seen very few QB's hold it as long as Watson. He needs to be taught that the Messiah complex that has worked well at every other level he has played, does not work at the pro level. I believe he can break that habit. The offensive line looked very inept to me today, last week, last year, last several years, etc. The last talented lineman we had was Brown. I like the guys on our line .... they're great guys .... but they lack talent. I don't think that they ,or anyone can. If we want a perennial Super Bowl challenger, (I didn't use Dynasty - I doubt we'll se one again), we will have to infuse our line with the highest level of talent we can. Despite your arguments, you know this as well as I. I can't believe that O'Brien doesn't know that. He may be trying to prove a point, or - scary thought, - he may be too stubborn to let anyone tell him how to do his job !

Cajuste West Va.
Evans Oklahoma
Dillard Wash St.
Dailey S. Carolina
Dillard could be a franchise LT with some grooming. Trouble is picking where he could go - pretty much the same with the top 10 or so OL in this draft.
Personally, I would go CB with the first pick and cobble the two 2nd rounders together to make sure I get Dillard.

Cajuste West Va.
Evans Oklahoma
Dillard Wash St.
Dailey S. Carolina
Duplicate post.

Wasn't OL. I've never seen a QB hold the ball that long again & again, sack after sack. It's like the correlation never occurred to him.

WR not open, run. Run forward. Get the first down. Make the defense regret turning their backs to you. But no.... He rewarded them for covering our receivers so well.

If nothing else, I'm convinced we need to draft eight slot receivers so we never have to worry about not having a viable option in the slot ever again.

This offense was ridiculous today & it had nothing to do with the OL.

But yeah, we need two CBs.

Watson had a bad game today.

It happens

Hopefully he learns to look down field because there were guys open before he takes off running.

The defense didn't matchup well with the Colts. Luck was pretty well locked in for his yearly homecoming.

Dillard could be a franchise LT with some grooming. Trouble is picking where he could go - pretty much the same with the top 10 or so OL in this draft.
Personally, I would go CB with the first pick and cobble the two 2nd rounders together to make sure I get Dillard.

A plan I definitely could get on board with.

I'm really high on Little and Cajuste, if either one of them fell to the 10-15 range I would trade up to get them and use the rest of the draft/FA to fill the CB/WR/RB needs

BTW, if one of the truly special guys like Oliver falls I would trade up to get him in a heartbeat, even if it means drafting an OT later. Tell me a guy like Oliver wouldn't have made a huge difference. That guys special I want as many guys like that on the team as possible.

He missed open guys several times today.

Every QB does every weekend. Also every weekend fans look at some wide open wr streaking down the right sideline as the QB rolls left and wonder why the throw isn't made.

But that wasn't the point. Him holding the ball is new this year, not a college holdover. Last year when he was winging it "basically playing his college ball" he got it out fast. After full OB attention, he holds the ball. Running "the system" strikes again.

Every QB does every weekend. Also every weekend fans look at some wide open wr streaking down the right sideline as the QB rolls left and wonder why the throw isn't made.

But that wasn't the point. Him holding the ball is new this year, not a college holdover. Last year when he was winging it "basically playing his college ball" he got it out fast. After full OB attention, he holds the ball. Running "the system" strikes again.

So Watson missing wide open WR's several times today was somehow BOB's fault?

Got it

Is this the MAGA thread in the TT section?

So Watson missing wide open WR's several times today was somehow BOB's fault?

Got it

Is this the MAGA thread in the TT section?

I think the point about missing wide open receivers was that he may have already been flushed out of the pocket & the receiver was already out of the play...

I.e. open receiver running down right sideline when QB already flushed left.

But... I'm lost. I would love to come up with some reasoning that makes sense. Last two games he was getting the ball out & on time. Accurately. He seemed off all day.

I wonder if he's hurt again.

I think the point about missing wide open receivers was that he may have already been flushed out of the pocket & the receiver was already out of the play...

But... I'm lost. I would love to come up with some reasoning that makes sense. Last two games he was getting the ball out & on time. Accurately. He seemed off all day.

Probably just a bad day at work.

Exactly. It's fun to look at the all-22 and see some receiver free but you have to look back at the QB situation.

There was 2 costly over-throws by Watson. One play that I posted about during the game was simple. He had time in the pocket, moved up slightly, set his feet and then heaved the ball out of the back of the endzone while D Thomas was fairly wide open about 2 yards into the endzone. I chalked it up to Watson needing more time with D Thomas. Anyhow, it was an ugly arse throw.

There was 2 costly over-throws by Watson. One play that I posted about during the game was simple. He had time in the pocket, moved up slightly, set his feet and then heaved the ball out of the back of the endzone while D Thomas was fairly wide open about 2 yards into the endzone. I chalked it up to Watson needing more time with D Thomas. Anyhow, it was an ugly arse throw.
We missed 2 touchdowns because of that, the other one to Hopkins.

Other than that, they kept showing the WR's were covered most of the game.

Outside of QB, I'm not wild about trading up unless it's just a short jump up and the price is reasonable. I'd rather sit tight, and take BPA at an area of need. We still have lots of unknowns this far out - we've got our own guys to worry about, plus we'll have some dough to spend in FA. Until all of that plays out, I think it's way too early to speculate but since this is just for fun anyway, here goes. All of this assumes we retain Clowney, the honey badger, et al.

Biggest need is OL, specifically LT, then RT. I think we're generally fine at C/G.

I'd kick slide Rankin to G and let him duke it out with the existing starters as well as Mancz. That's 5 guys total to cover 3 spots. If there is a guy in the later rounds or a UDFA with upside to be a practice squad to add to the depth - A-Ok by me. But Senio, Rankin, Martin, Mancz, and Fulton - while no stars in the bunch, are a competent quintet and there's upside in there.

RT needs depth, and at worse a legit RT prospect that can push Lamm. I do give Lamm a lot of credit for improving to the point of being competent. But I think his ceiling is about where he is at or close to it. If we could draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd with a higher upside that can at least start as a competent backup - I'd do it. I'd move on from Henderson.

That brings us to Mr. Davenport who I see as the weak link at this point in time. He's NFL worthy, but not starter worthy. I think he could bring some value as a backup that can spot start if needed, but that's about it. We really need to address this position via either FA or the draft, and likely with the first pick. And if not there certainly with one of the two seconds. So in short, I say draft two tackles, and don't worry much about guard/C.

Second big position to work on is corner. I won't go into great detail, but for goodness sake, let's draft a burner. Even if his technique isn't there yet, we need a guy that can run with the Hilton's of the world. I'd be looking at rd 2 or 3 here.

WR - This really comes down to how they view the health of Fuller/Coutee. I think of the two, Coutee maybe you give the benefit of the doubt on. Sometimes you see a guy get a hammy, and it takes an offseason to really totally shake it off. Andre had this problem roughly 6 years ago, and it tormented him all year but next year he was money. Fuller is a different situation. Even in a best case scenario, I'm not sure we'll see the ability to cut and run like he was pre-injury. Worse, he hasn't shown an ability to avoid the injury bug in 3 years. Great talent when healthy. Key word is when. So, I'd look at a mid-round burner. 3rd or maybe even 5th round. If nothing else, as a little insurance for Fuller. Someone that can stretch the defense vertically.

Mid or late rounds and on into UDFA, I'm looking for a RB, and we always can use more bullets in the defenses chamber - so DL, OLB, ILB. Guys that maybe can help on ST. Maybe toss in a G or a TE just anyone that can backup and/or play ST. I don't really mess with S or TE outside of UDFA territory.

So, I don't have specific players in mind yet and of course, BPA ALWAYS plays a role, but in a perfect world, my draft would look something like this

1) LT / RT / CB

2A) Same as above

2B) Same as above

3) Speed merchant WR

5) DL / OLB / ILB / RB (remaining picks the same combo)

Outside of QB, I'm not wild about trading up unless it's just a short jump up and the price is reasonable. I'd rather sit tight, and take BPA at an area of need. We still have lots of unknowns this far out - we've got our own guys to worry about, plus we'll have some dough to spend in FA. Until all of that plays out, I think it's way too early to speculate but since this is just for fun anyway, here goes. All of this assumes we retain Clowney, the honey badger, et al.

Biggest need is OL, specifically LT, then RT. I think we're generally fine at C/G.

I'd kick slide Rankin to G and let him duke it out with the existing starters as well as Mancz. That's 5 guys total to cover 3 spots. If there is a guy in the later rounds or a UDFA with upside to be a practice squad to add to the depth - A-Ok by me. But Senio, Rankin, Martin, Mancz, and Fulton - while no stars in the bunch, are a competent quintet and there's upside in there.

RT needs depth, and at worse a legit RT prospect that can push Lamm. I do give Lamm a lot of credit for improving to the point of being competent. But I think his ceiling is about where he is at or close to it. If we could draft someone in the 2nd or 3rd with a higher upside that can at least start as a competent backup - I'd do it. I'd move on from Henderson.

That brings us to Mr. Davenport who I see as the weak link at this point in time. He's NFL worthy, but not starter worthy. I think he could bring some value as a backup that can spot start if needed, but that's about it. We really need to address this position via either FA or the draft, and likely with the first pick. And if not there certainly with one of the two seconds. So in short, I say draft two tackles, and don't worry much about guard/C.

Second big position to work on is corner. I won't go into great detail, but for goodness sake, let's draft a burner. Even if his technique isn't there yet, we need a guy that can run with the Hilton's of the world. I'd be looking at rd 2 or 3 here.

WR - This really comes down to how they view the health of Fuller/Coutee. I think of the two, Coutee maybe you give the benefit of the doubt on. Sometimes you see a guy get a hammy, and it takes an offseason to really totally shake it off. Andre had this problem roughly 6 years ago, and it tormented him all year but next year he was money. Fuller is a different situation. Even in a best case scenario, I'm not sure we'll see the ability to cut and run like he was pre-injury. Worse, he hasn't shown an ability to avoid the injury bug in 3 years. Great talent when healthy. Key word is when. So, I'd look at a mid-round burner. 3rd or maybe even 5th round. If nothing else, as a little insurance for Fuller. Someone that can stretch the defense vertically.

Mid or late rounds and on into UDFA, I'm looking for a RB, and we always can use more bullets in the defenses chamber - so DL, OLB, ILB. Guys that maybe can help on ST. Maybe toss in a G or a TE just anyone that can backup and/or play ST. I don't really mess with S or TE outside of UDFA territory.

So, I don't have specific players in mind yet and of course, BPA ALWAYS plays a role, but in a perfect world, my draft would look something like this

1) LT / RT / CB

2A) Same as above

2B) Same as above

3) Speed merchant WR

5) DL / OLB / ILB / RB (remaining picks the same combo)

Yep

1. LT
2.CB
2..LT that can play RT to begin with.
2. CB
3. Speed WR
5. Developmental CB.
6. Slot WR
7. BPA

Trade Mercilus to a pass rush needy team for a 2nd rd pick..

Sign a RB like Ingram or Coleman/Ware
Sign a CB like Claiborne or trade your 3rd rd pick for Janoris Jenkins.

I wouldn't have a problem with Gaine using a 2nd to move up and pick a LT.

This would be a great offseason

Last edited:
Yep

1. LT
2.CB
2..LT that can play RT to begin with.
2. CB
3. Speed WR
5. Developmental CB.
6. Slot WR
7. BPA

Trade Mercilus to a pass rush needy team for a 2nd rd pick..

Sign a RB like Ingram or Coleman/Ware
Sign a CB like Claiborne or trade your 3rd rd pick for Janoris Jenkins.

I wouldn't have a problem with Gaine using a 2nd to move up and pick a LT.

This would be a great offseason
I still would like to see them use Mercilus better. Back to our conversation about Watt playing inside -- did you notice that JJ's sack this week came lined up inside w/ Mercilus at end on his side? I'm not suggesting moving him inside permanently, but I'd like to see it mixed up more frequently w/ all of our best pass rushers on the field on passing downs which means JJ would have to be inside w/ who we have now. But if we're going to use Mercilus like we are, I'd be on board w/ a trade. We can get his production out of a less talented player as it is now.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/17/nick-foles-eagles-rams-fmia-nfl-week-15-peter-king/

This thought occurred to me examining the PFF grades at each position through 14 weeks: If I were a GM and needed help on the offensive line in 2019, I might look extra harder at the draft. The five richest contracts given to free-agent offensive linemen last spring, and how they have performed in 2018:

Nate Solder, tackle, N.Y. Giants, $15.5-million average compensation. Played better lately, but the highest-paid tackle in NFL history is only the 17th-best left tackle and 36th-best overall tackle, per PFF ratings.

Andrew Norwell, guard, Jacksonville, $13.3-million average compensation. Better than Solder, but the second-highest-paid guard of all-time is PFF’s 13th-rated guard in the NFL this year.

Ryan Jensen, center, Tampa Bay, $10.5-million average compensation. Only three starting centers in the league are rated lower than Jensen, who has flopped in Tampa. He’s been penalized nine times and given up nine QB hits, each the most in the league for a center.

Weston Richburg, center, San Francisco, $9.5-million average compensation. Just three spots better than Jensen, Richburg is the 32nd-rated center in the league, and has allowed a porous 27 sacks/hits/significant pressures.

Justin Pugh, guard, Arizona, $9-million average compensation. His season ended in mid-November with a knee injury that forced him to IR. But he hadn’t been playing well, and PFF has him the 53rd-rated guard in the league. And this is the fourth season in a row that Pugh’s total snaps have been less than the season before.

May need later when we are going to pay for the highest ranked free agent OLman.

Reactions: JB
I wonder how those guys would have graded had they not gone to the worst teams in the league.

Maybe better than for a bad team, but especially Solder and Norwell were given record contracts so the expectation was that they lead better production versus follow poor performance.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/17/nick-foles-eagles-rams-fmia-nfl-week-15-peter-king/

May need later when we are going to pay for the highest ranked free agent OLman.

True but one OL doesn't make a 5 man OL. This is a puzzle that has to be carefully constructed and when successful, must be made a top priority in keeping it together. When these players leave their current puzzle for a new one -b/c of money- there's no guarantee that this piece is going to fit into the new puzzle. This happens far too many times to count in the NFL....players believing their press clippings and not realizing they are just a part of something bigger than themselves.

If Bell were to play behind the current Texans OL, I'm not certain his production is any better than Miller's. If the OL was to be much improved in 2019 and I had to choose between the option of Miller or Bell.....now I'm leaning towards Bell to carry the load since I think his tangibles as a RB are better than Miller's. I'd also like to see how an improved OL works for a healthy Foreman and just as importantly how it would work for Blue. Blue has never had a chance to play behind a better than decent OL even though he's sprinkled some pretty decent games at RB during his Texans career.

Gaine, fix this OL by getting the requisite talent. OB, fire Devlin and hire a competent OL Coach who has a lineage of success...while you're at it, hire an OC and hand him the reins so a scheme can finally be agreed upon and a shopping list can be created for Gaine.

Gaine, fix this OL by getting the requisite talent. OB, fire Devlin and hire a competent OL Coach who has a lineage of success...while you're at it, hire an OC and hand him the reins so a scheme can finally be agreed upon and a shopping list can be created for Gaine.
BOB's 'scheme' on offense should be clearly defined after they saw what worked w/ Watson last year. And we should be able to add enough of the missing pieces this off-season to see if the scheme is legit or BOB is just hopeless at putting together a top offense. The lineman they brought in last year were more mobile, zone blocking rather than road graders so this seems to be the direction they're headed on the Oline. Seems logical that they would continue this trend when looking at OT's. Lamm is athletic enough that they should be able to keep him in this position another year if they aren't able to get both OT's upgraded in 1 year. LT has to be upgraded to get away from TE and RB help which is holding us back. I've got to think that they're seeing that Griffin is hopeless in pass pro as well -- I'd be surprised if we don't bring in a good blocking TE this off-season. I'd put Miller in the same category as Lamm as far as being good enough if they can't upgrade the position all in 1 year. Dream world is upgrading both OT's, blocking TE and RB that is tailored to the scheme all in 1 off-season. But if they're able to get a good LT and a good blocking TE w/ a healthy Fuller and Coutee and our O still looks like it does this year, the problem is BOB and his scheme IMO.

Back