2019 Texans Offseason Analysis

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Yep.
    Comes back to my point that he should consider the same surgery Clowney had if he has a similar injury.
    Dude could be an outright stud at C if fully healthy.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From Nov 2018:

HaveMercy, CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  3. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

May not be willing to miss another season on a maybe if

CWTexansFan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  4. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Must be painful playing on a bung knee.

5. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Rookie

Thank you, CND.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  6. CloakNNNdagger

For many reasons, NFL players do not readily opt for microfracture knee surgery. Of all sports, football has the worst record for return to play (only 67%) and length of play after the procedure (66% of those 67% return for only 1 season and only ~40% of the 67% make it to 3 years).............as well as performance level compared to pre-injury. And those opting for this surgery have an extreme high rate of need for knee replacement following the end of their career. And be assure that this is a very tough painful surgery to rehab. Easy to see why this route is not lightly or commonly taken.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    HaveMercy and CWTexansFan like this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I don't think he's strong enough & seems to have issues with planting & balance.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Tried to find your post on Mancz injury last week but couldn't. Thanks for repost

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yes

HaveMercy likes this.
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Which adds to cohesion how? Not talking talent level or coaching (which wes should all know is lacking).

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

His ankle is messed up and that is causing a weakness in his base hurting his abilty to drive block.. It also limits his mobility to get to the 2nd level. Once you badly sprained/tore ligaments in your ankle you're never the same. Even with surgery.

I kind of hope they draft a guy like Scharping (Who I think can play RG) in addition to a LT in the draft. I would love to see Fulton at C since that's a position he played very well for the Chiefs.

Anyways, Martin's job should be open for competition.

HaveMercy likes this.
  12. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Just as an aside, my then 16 year old brother was the first donor bone Knee replacement in Australia around 35 years ago. Got shot with a 30 30.
    Kept up his rehab religiously even going above and beyond to this day and still has that replacement knee.
    Docs of the time said he might only get 20 years out of it.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Give me talent, which the current Texans OL is lacking and then let's worry about Devlin making them a cohesive unit.

I dont have much faith in Devlin because he 1. Recommended Davenport, which makes me question his ability to evaluate talent. 2. He hasn't really developed later rd OL. Although I thought he did a good job with Lamm and Mancz has developed under him.

Davenport is about as good as his athletic ability will let him be. He sucks

14. CloakNNNdagger

Happy to hear that your brother has experienced such success (I suspect you meant he was a host for the replacement). But you said BONE replacement. Bone with naturally attached articular cartilage can be expected to "take" (with supplementary help) and last permanently if it "takes" well. Fibro pseudo cartilage as produced by microfracture surgery, on the other hand, is very much a different story. It is less durable, irregular in surface, continually exposed to wear and tear, and is expected to have a very limited "lifespan"............especially in a high level football player. Again, I am glad your brother enjoyed a great experience with his operation.

TheKDog and Texansphan like this.
  15. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Rookie

I could see the Texans having 4 new OL starters by the middle of the 2020 season. There's just too many issues for this coming season to be more than marginally improved. Still, marginal OL improvement this year might mean another half dozen successful plays per game. Couple that with smarter play calling and quicker play from Watson and we might just have something.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  16. 281Texan

281Texan Rookie

I do agree with this. Mancz has been one of the lone bright spots the past few years while we’ve been in turmoil at that position. I’d like to see him back at center, kick Martin out to guard, slide rankin in as well, then see how that works. Maybe move Zach Fulton back to LG, believe that’s where he originally played in KC. We did the same thing with Jeff Allen from KC and it failed. Don’t know why we’d do it again, then again, our OL coach is awful. If that works then you can get away with finding two tackles in the draft (shouldn’t be too hard with an extra 2nd) then we’re in at least decent shape for 2019

CWTexansFan and Texansphan like this.
  17. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Yeah sorry, he was recipient.
    It was just an aside I thought might interest you.

18. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

It all comes down to how his knee holds out.
    Such a shame.

19. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Man, I hate it when I sucked into reading something by John McLame. Complete waste of time.

CWTexansFan and JB like this.
  20. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I've wondered the same. He produced at Notre Dame, but the NFL is something else. He's a bit on the small side. I think he plays at about 300 lbs, has only 32" arms and 9 1/8" hands. I prefer a player who is more of a physical match to the defensive players.