2019 Texans free agency

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by powda, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

So many conflicting reports.
    His UDFA status would seem to indicate a less favourable outcome - otherwise he goes in the 5th I reckon.

2. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

It got them in the superbowl with a chance to win it.

3. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

So they got the participation trophy. :)

Doesn't change the fact that the spending didn't get them a Lombardi.

:coffee:

CWTexansFan likes this.
  4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If the Rams didn't have such a young coach they probably would've won the SB.

BTW, the Rams were worse than the Texans 3 yrs ago and made the SB. The Texans can only hope to get as far as the Rams did in the next 3 yrs.

It's not all coaching either. It's a philosophy that starts from the top down.

BTW, The Eagles won the SB 2 yrs ago with the Rams philosophy, so they got far more than a participation ribbon. They won the rings.

5. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

You've got to get close before spending that money on FA will help... Texans haven't been close since 2011

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

They were 5 players away from being a true contender. IMHO

They chose to sit on their hands in FA and hopefully hit on the draft. Do you think this was a good strategy, particularly with the rest of the division improving and next yrs brutal schedule?

If they have a bad yr next yr most will blame it on BOB's coaching and some of those criticisms may be valid. But if they have a bad yr next yr the main reason will be because of passiveness in not adding the talent needed to compete with the big boys this offseason. IMHO

Look at a team like the Chiefs, their defense sucked last yr and look at what they did this offseason as an example of what I'm talking about. Right or wrong atleast the Chiefs are aggressively attacking their weaknesses. When has the Texans org ever been as aggressive as the Chiefs were this offseason?

Until the Texans org becomes more aggressive you can expect more of what we've seen over the last 17 yrs.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

When?

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This offseason

I had them needing 2 OT's 2 CB's and an interior rusher away from being a contender if WFV stays healthy.

The OT's they got are small school projects, I expected more than a 1st rd bust (Roby) and a project CB (L. Johnson) and they still dont have the interior rusher they need.

But hey, they do have the 2nd most cap space in the league and that's what really matters. Because it's the only thing they seem to be one of the best in the league at. Not that this is really surprising given their history.

Meanwhile the division is making all kinds of moves and getting better and better.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

But he didn't... and last offseason did you feel they were only 5 pieces away?

meh, you do love your hindsight

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Last yr I was surprised they did as well as they did. I absolutely hated what they did with the OL (FA Backups plan turned out as expected) in fact I just hoped Watson would make it through the season healthy.

I'm talking about WFV staying healthy next yr. If he does and the rookie OT's can be avg the offense will be much better.

This offseason I've always thought they were 5 players away from contending. Although I would've gone in a different direction they addressed 3 of those issues. Although with the addition of these very raw projects it may be 3 yrs before they reach their potential.

No hindsight here.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Last yr I was surprised they did as well as they did. I absolutely hated what they did with the OL (FA Backups plan turned out as expected) in fact I just hoped Watson would make it through the season healthy.

This offseason I've always thought they were 5 players away from contending. Although I would've gone in a different direction they addressed 3 of those issues. Although with the addition of these very raw projects it may be 3 yrs before they reach their potential.

No hindsight here.

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And the 2019 season hasn't been played yet so NO ONE, not even you knows how those moves will turn out

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Correct

I'm just telling you what I think is going to happen before it happens. Kind of like I've done with the OL the last 2 yrs.

Although I didn't particularly care for the Howard pick I'm willing to wait and see how he and Scharping progress as next yr goes on.

The 2019 Houston Texans will go as far as Watson's health and the young OL/CB's carry them. I hope I'm wrong about Roby, Roby playing at a high level will cure alot of ills.

14. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Bullshit! Thhat doesn't jive with what you keep harping on

Mangler likes this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I've said all along that although I would've done things differently (Trade up for Dillard) I'm willing to see how Howard does before I pass judgement. I've also said this draft will be as good as Howard/Scharping turn out to be.

Please quit using revisionist history on my thoughts. Go check out some of my past posts.

If you want to know my thoughts they align with beerlovers thoughts in the rookie mini camp thread.

thunderkyss likes this.
  16. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

pffft

17. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

So will the DLine.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If healthy the DL will be fine.

19. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I hoping they find a bit more push than last season. Gotta flush QB's out of their comfy pockets.

20. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

What you've been consistent on is hoping Watson gets his neck broke. Other than that, it's flip flop central. I'm one of the few that had Howard over Dillard so I stand by what I've said (predicting Howard to be the better NFL lineman of the two) but as I've dished it, I will take it if things turn out the other way.