2019 NFL Mock drafts.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texansphan, Jan 27, 2019.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

A team is going to trade up to #1 and pick Haskins after the Combine and Pro Days. IMHO

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Wow. Where would you have taken Haskins in last years draft? After Rosen and before Jackson? Even though I think he'll be the 1st QB taken this year, #1 overall seems a stretch.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I think he's going to light up the Combine.

He's very comparable to Darnold. IMHO

I liked Rosen the best of all the QB's last yr and cant wait to see what he can become if he can survive until the Cards build up their OL.

I liked Rosen even better than Mayfield who I had #2.

4. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

QB hungry teams sometimes make hasty decisions. It really depends on his Combine and private workout performances. It could be like getting hit with a nose full of ether.

5. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Rosen
    Darnold
    Mayfield
    Haskins

Allen

Jackson

6. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I'd much rather have Dillard in the last one

Texansphan likes this.
  8. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

If Little has a great combine, he will regain most of the lost gloss.
    The cone drills will tell the story of the OL's. Besides, a little NFL polish will likely go a long way.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think some of it is prospect fatigue. Little has been highly acclaimed since high school. 3 year starter in the SEC. His game is being picked apart. The needle will move back towards Little being one of the top LTs after all of the testing, prodding, and poking is done.

steelbtexan and JB like this.
  10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Is it down to Little & Dillard as to which OT will b the first OT taken in this years Draft ?
    Second question? Do you guys think Gaine will be prepared to move up in the first round to get the Texans an OLT ? Of course we have no way of knowing now and it all depends on how the Draft goes that first night during the first round selections.
    I'm just trying to figure out if Gaine is gonna be aggressive or just sit back and wait to see what he's got on his Board when the 23rd pick rolls around. Now he was fairly aggresive in his first free gency by going after the Denver WR and using a 4th round pick to close the deal if that's any indication ?
    Now if Gaine could do something like sign Patriots LT Trent Brown in the upcoming FA he'd be in a great position for the Draft, all of his options would then be open in the first round.

JB likes this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

yeah, I think the pre-draft FA signing period will dictate the draft as much as or more than the draft flow...
    Will Gaine be aggressive early in the off season?

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Good thing is if Gaine doesn't get Trent Brown in FA he will know where he stands going into the draft and moving up should definitely be an option. I can make a case that even if Gaine signs Brown he should take another OT at 23 depending who's on the board. If Gaine signs Brown he shouldn't trade up from 23 for an OT and just let the board fall to him. IMHO

I'm starting to really like Scharping in the 2nd to play RT. I think he could be a better version of Winston.

Texansphan likes this.
  13. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator

Jonah Williams.

steelbtexan likes this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He should be very aggressive, this team is 5 players away from being a true contender and if they can add 3 guys that can play in FA and 3 guys in the draft (They have the picks) this team could be really good.

Add Trent Brown, Jason Verrett (On the cheap) John Brown/Ingram in FA and hit on your 1st/2nd rd draft picks and this team could be really good. Gaine has the cap space and draft picks to get this done.

Anyhow, this is a huge offseason for the future of this franchise. This very easily could be the draft like the 2006 draft Williams/Ryan/Winston/OD/Spencer draft. They have the picks.

15. OptimisticTexan

I'm not so sure Brown's play transitions to the Texans. Obviously there's a massive difference between the 2 systems. I'd hate to give the money he may command if BB doesn't want to pay him and then he doesn't pay dividends in OB/Devlin's system.

This leads me to hope Gaine signs Donovan Smith who played for OB at Penn St. This could give him a leg up in understanding what OB wants to do on offense. Also, I don't see OB or Gaine throwing the towel in on Davenport so signing a veteran is imperative in his development.

I like Little, Dillard or Risner with the Texans first pick. Either of these guys could settle the RT position for the next 7 years or longer. I also think Erik McCoy is a must pick b/c of the uncertainty surrounding the play of Martin....who just hasn't lived up to expectations. I'd love to have McCoy in the fold if the Texans decide that Martin isn't worth re-signing.

If and that's a big if, LT- Mitch Hyatt slid down to RD6....I'd probably draft him and let him develop for a season. I still think Hyatt could be a better than expected LT in the NFL especially if he has a year to gain some strength and knowledge of playing LT at the NFL level.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Texansphan likes this.
  16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Brown has been underestimated going all the way back to his days at Fla. I think BOB wants to run the offense that he ran back when he was with the Pats, when Solder was playing LT. Brown is better than Solder and younger than Solder. His best football is ahead of him if he doesn't rest on his laurels after he gets paid.

Brown is more talented than Smith, though I wouldn't have an issue if Gaine brought in Smith because he also knows what BOB expects from his LT. Smith is better than Davenport (Who I never want to see play LT again and it wouldn't bother me at all if he was cut. Although we know this isn't going to happen.)

Signing Brown and Drafting one of the other 1st Rd OT's is the way to go. IMHO. If you draft Risner and Henderson can play RT then you could play Risner at C where he has experience, as well as OG.

If you want to draft a CB in the 1st after you sign a FA like Brown/Smith you could and draft a talented RT in the 3rd like Scharping/Edoga. I want to draft a young guy that's capable of playing LT if the FA signing gets hurt and either one of these guys can do this. Why? because I never want to see Watson get sacked like he did or the offense having to be completely changed due to Davenport's piss poor play.

I would have no issues drafting Hyatt and doing what you suggested.

17. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Texans are in position to replace 3 of their olinemen via the draft and FA and completely alter the dynamic.
    The remaining guys would have his play elevated by better quality play around them so the whole line could be an entirely new animal.
    A line like this:-
    Dillard, Benzschawel, Martin, FA, Henderson or - Dillard, Benzschawel, Martin, Mancz, FA has a completely different feel and potential.
    We would also have some depth for the bench and with Rankin, Davenport to continue to develop so the line should be leaps and bounds ahead of the current structure. Not saying it will be instant top 50%, but should grow into that in the second half of the season with easy potential for more.

18. OptimisticTexan

I did a Fanspeak Mock and can't believe how some of the players are being rated. It's like polar opposite of a couple of weeks ago. Anyhow, the last I one I did last night yielded the following players:

RD1-23: CB, Greedy Williams- LSU / Moves to get QB's, a scramble for OT's and DL allowed Williams to slide right into the Texans greedy little hands.

RD2-22: CB, Trayvon Mullen- Clemson / He also slid but I just can't imagine him being there this late in RD2 but if he was, you'd have to take him to solidify a position weakness.

RD2-23: OC/OG, Erik McCoy- Texas A&M / His stock is obviously rising but certainly has the versatility to help the OL this season.

RD3-23: RB, David Montgomery- Iowa State / He and Josh Jacobs have been rated the two most complete backs in the draft for 2019. They both handle the running and catching portion of the job but what makes both special in this draft.....they can both block and don't mind that part of the job. If I had my rathers, Jacobs would've been the RB but if I'm not crying over Montgomery being available.

RD5-23: OT/OC/OG, Dalton Risner- Kansas State / He's suddenly falling like a lead ballon on the Mock Services boards. I'm not really buying it but if he was, man this would be a steal in RD5.

RD6-22: CB, Isaiah Johnson- Houston / Another guy who suddenly dropped and another athlete I couldn't get the pick up to the podium quick enough if he was still on the board this late. Williams, Mullen and Johnson would immediately give the Texans a defensive backfield to be feared....especially with Badger, KJax, Reid and Hal handling the safety position. Using cap money on a veteran CB would be negated.

RD7-06: OT, Mitch Hyatt- Clemson / Man, this guy is getting zero respect after carrying the blindside of the Clemson OL for 4 seasons and 2 National Championships. If his primary weakness is getting stronger.....holy shite, he'd be a steal and I'd be ducking giddy to give him a season to get stronger.

Not a flashy draft but a focus on the nuts and bolts. 3 OL that could be a solid beginning to a new foundation. 3 CB's that instantly make what was once a weakness into an absolute power in the NFL. 1 RB who does it all and should instantly be a 3 down back. Foreman can give the breaks while Miller provides magic as the change of pace or 3rd down specially back.

I probably would've taken WR, Denzel Mims- Baylor with the RD7-06 pick but I didn't see him on any of the most recent boards. If that's the case, maybe he's an UDFA which would make signing him a great move.

19. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Let's not mix up our fantasy mocks with real fantasy mocks by people paid to publish them

20. OptimisticTexan

Sorry, folks paid to publish their Mock's have proven to be just as much a fantasy as those of us who do it for nothing. It's all opinion until draft day.

JB, Corrosion and Texansphan like this.