2019 NFL Mock drafts.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texansphan, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Thought a thread with a bunch of mocks from the experts might be educational for us all.
    I'll start with one from cbssports writer Chris Trapasso that will have Texans fans jubilant if it falls this way - for us at least.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Who is Chris Trapasso? And I would be extremely upset if the Texans took Little with both Dillard and Byron Murphy available

3. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

His bio says cbs sports NFL draft writer/analyst.
    There are several good players that will likely be available to us so I am waiting until I have had a look at the combine and research other teams before settling.
    I like the two you mention also.

JB likes this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, with that many quality players available, I would hope of a trade down

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  5. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I think the OL class is not as bereft as we first believed.
    The Dline class is a treasure trove.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

What don't you like about Little? He's had a lot of success in the SEC, and Little is a much more accomplished run blocker than Dillard.

7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

It's not that I dislike Little, I haven't watched enough to really know him, but reports I've read have been mixed. I just think that if all 3 are there as in the mock, that a trade down is more desirable.

'extremely upset' was an over-reaction

steelbtexan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  8. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

All you have to do with Little is watch Miss St or Bama game footage . If he held his own then you may have something .

steelbtexan likes this.
  9. Max

Max Hall of Fame

I thought Little looked like a mess the first time I watched him so decided to go back and relook. I was watching the Bama game the first time so it picked up right where I left off and this was literally the first play. Besides maybe having the prototypical build, I'm not sure what is to like.
    little.gif

mussop and justmy2cents like this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This happens from time to time with all OT's. Did you see Williams vs Georgia/Clemson? Same thing.

I was looking at how long he was able to sustain his block before being taken to the ground and he held his block long enough. Did you check him out in pass pro against Bama? He held up very well.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This happens from time to time with all OT's. Did you see Williams vs Georgia/Clemson? Same thing.

I was looking at how long he was able to sustain his block before being taken to the ground and he held his block long enough. Did you check him out in pass pro against Bama? He held up very well. BTW, he will get stronger with NFL S&C.

I like his feet most of all, he moves well in short spaces for such a big man.

12. Max

Max Hall of Fame

No problem with his feet. I'm more concerned about his hands. He gets his shoulders turned because of not locking on and I think guys are going to spin off of him at the next level and I'm concerned he gives up too much ground against a good bull rush. I'm not saying that he can't be coached up, but after XSF not learning to use his hands, I'd rather have a guy that's shown that he's already learned that trait. But yes, I see the potential in pass pro. He really struggled in the run game though. I rarely saw him land a reach block and he's not going to move anyone out of the way if he does lock on.

justmy2cents, JB and steelbtexan like this.
  13. Max

Max Hall of Fame

What do you think about David Edwards at RT? From what I watched, they ask their OT's to do exactly what ours do. Mix in inside zone about 1/3 of the time and he does a great job in getting to the 2nd level. I think he's a fit scheme-wise for what we do.

justmy2cents and JB like this.
  14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I loved Edwards as a Soph not near as much as a Jr.

He had back issues last yr and that gives me pause because a young guy that already has back issues doesn't bode well for his future/longevity. CnD could speak much better and give us an idea of whether his injury history makes him a high rd draft pick.

With that said, if Edwards is there in the 2nd I would think seriously about picking him. He's very talented.

I tried to watch some of Juwaun Taylor's tape and dont really get the love for him. I didn't see him stick out from Ivey and both of them looked very avg. Yet Taylor is getting 1st rd love. If you can lead me to the tape that makes draft gurus love him I would greatly appreciate it.

justmy2cents, JB and Max like this.
  15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Like I said to Lucky, he's really good in pass pro and is a wall off blocker in the run game. He certainly needs to improve in the run game but over all his hand placement is overall good in pass pro. Lucky told me although he's ackward he does get to the 2nd level in the run game.

There's not going to be a perfect LT available at 23. That's what coaching is for taking a guy with talent and helping improve his weaknesses. XSF was lazy and I haven't heard that Little has a poor work ethic. Little does have the genes in his favor. His dad was a LB in the NFL. May he RIP.

Max likes this.
  16. Max

Max Hall of Fame

Hmm, wasn't aware of the back issues.

I saw @badboy brought up Taylor so maybe he can help. I looked at him and thought the same. The only thing I could think of was measurables which I get are important. But I'll get excited about potential when I've seen a track record of guys getting coached up by our staff. For now, show me the tape.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    steelbtexan likes this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I was not a fan of Taylor first half of season and tbh, lost track of him despite constantly finding him in top half of most mocks. Despite review as link provides, he seemed to play "heavy" for lack of better word when I watched him. Of course he could have improved last half of season.

As for coaching up, I want linemen who learn by experience and improve as I have zero faith what's his name.

JB and Max like this.
  18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just my 2 cents but Trapasso seems to "follow" others rather than give his own opinions. When I noticed that, I pretty much eliminated his mocks. Best about this one, Corner Byron Murphy is available. I compare his future with Darrelle Revis and look forward to 40 times of him and Clemson's Mullen. 1.23 Murphy 2.54 Mullen 2.55 Love (at nickle as I'm concerned about Colvin) 3.86 OT Howard.

Thinking on it I would consider eating Colvin's dead money if we could trade him for a 4th. His 2019 cap isn't much less and I'd rather have the pick. Sure hope I'm wrong on him. I don't think the $ got him but rather his concern about his recovery as that has bothered others before him.

JB likes this.
  19. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Is there any perfect LT's in this draft? I see no Joe Thomas's or similar

steelbtexan likes this.
  20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

well if you value PFF's evaluations, Max Sharping comes closest.
    That's pretty awesome even for "small" school boy. He has been consistent entire career.