Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ArlingtonTexan, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Are you happy with our first round pick?

Poll closed May 10, 2019.
  1. Yes. It addressed our #1 need and he was the right player at that pick.

45.3%
  2. No. We should have picked a different OT at 23.

6.7%
  3. No. We should have traded up for Dillard.

29.3%
  4. No. We should have picked BPA and waited until the 2nd for our OT.

18.7%
  1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Do you think Dillard can. learn to run block? If so you have your LT of the future. I too see Howard as a RT due to his avg athleticism.

By 2020 I could see an OL of

Draft pick/Rankin/Fulton/Scharping/Howard.

2020 is a great LT class. There are 4-5 LT's that are better than this yrs class. Minus Williams.

It will be such a great thing to have a young talented OL in yr 3 of the rebuild.

beerlover and thunderkyss like this.
  2. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

When I went back and watched tape on Tytus Howard at the senior bowl one of the more consistent players there that doesn't get talked about enough was Chuma Edoga out of USC. Only thing Lance knocked him on was his weird frame. Jets drafted him at 92nd overall. I think they got good value on him.

steelbtexan and beerlover like this.
  3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Howard is anything but an average athlete. He has size, girth, natural knee bender, excellent lateral movement skills and fluid hips. Looks all very natural to me, like to see Texan weight and conditioning coach develop more explosion, quickness and strength, then you’ll see Texans really got hold of something.

4. beerlover

Edoga is a natural OT prospect and yes your right, underrated.

5. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

This is why I try my best to avoid engaging with SteelB. He lost all credibility with me. He does a great job, though, of saying something so ridiculous that he pulls me back in once in a while. The only reason I haven't put him on my ignore list is that alot of his posts make me laugh.

santo likes this.
  6. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

More muscle, endurance, flexibility, and explosion will help all of the linemen. I am going to speculate that these things are the goals of the S&C staff.

Let's hope that Howard and Scharping aren't over-trained, as happened with Cush.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  7. disaacks3

disaacks3 Moderator Staff Member

Definitely nobody "over-trained" the Cushing way. We don't need any pregnant guys on the line. :whistle:

8. beerlover

Good research. About to loose my game film when switch service providers, AT&T dropped NFL Network, so that was reason why this popped up again, what I discovered was a great watch. Heck Omenihu beat Dillard to QB on one play even, lol. Not sure if it’s on this clip or not? But four picks from this one event by Texans must be some kind of record...

9. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

Not to sound pessimistic because we have yet to see Howard play but I really do think he could benefit from an entire season/off-season in an NFL program.

When Rankin came in, I also mentioned that he was carrying a lot of bad weight. It sounds like he has come into OTA's with a bigger upper body and a slimmer waist. I think Howard will need the same thing before we see the 1st round investment. (Probably why he is getting initial work at guard)

maverick512000 likes this.
  10. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

My guess is the Texans agree with you and that's why they brought in guys like Kalil on one year deals. They're hoping they can last long enough to get the rookies more to an NFL level. As much as some on here say that a round one should be able to be a day one starter that's just not realistic for most positions. Maybe for something like a WR, then its mostly learn the plays and catch the ball, but something like a OT there are a lot of things that have to change going from a college system to an NFL system.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor
  11. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

STAYING IN THE LANE: The #Texans didn't reach for a OT in Jonah Williams & selected Tytus Howard instead. Why? The latest request Williams made with his new team certainly indicates he wouldn't have been a good fit anyway. What's going on? https://t.co/X7T3qIFMWx

— Brian Patterson (@brkp1999) May 21, 2019

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Some #Bengals news here. Makes sense, as Jonah Williams only wanted to play LT. With both him and Cordy Glenn in the lineup it should greatly improve their OL.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1130537913207394314

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  12. beerlover

Happy Birthday today Tytus a big 23

13. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Jonah was picked #11 and was projected to be a first year starter. First tweet doesn't make much sense.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Gotta disagree with you here.

His combine screamed avg athlete

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Enjoy mediocrity

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Jonah Williams disagrees with you, so does Cam Robinson, Tyron Smith etc...

17. beerlover

CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss It's good to be me... again. Staff Member

That may have been their thinking with Howard. A lock at RT, possible LT. He's still developing into a Tackle. Just three years ago he was small enough to play TE, along with the athleticism required to play TE.

They'll have a year with him to decide if he should make the move to LT, or if they should draft one.

19. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

I'm sorry did you have a point other than naming random OTs? Williams hasn't played one NFL game yet so its a little early to hold him up as an example, Robinson had a decent year but really wasn't anything special and then went out early the next season, I'll grant you Smith had a great rookie year. Just because a guy is made a starter his rookie year doesn't mean its the best choice. Just like if Watson could have got to ride the bench a season behind a vet like Mahomes did he could have been even better.

Saying a rookie will be the starter is different than saying that they should be the starter.

CWTexansFan, thunderkyss and Mangler like this.
  20. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

Nothing against Alabama State but I doubt they have the weight room and training staff of the Crimson Tide or any big school . After going through a pro off season and getting some shorts that fit , I bet he improves a lot with his agility .

Last edited: May 23, 2019