2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ArlingtonTexan, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Are you happy with our first round pick?

Poll closed May 10, 2019.
  1. Yes. It addressed our #1 need and he was the right player at that pick.

45.3%
  2. No. We should have picked a different OT at 23.

6.7%
  3. No. We should have traded up for Dillard.

29.3%
  4. No. We should have picked BPA and waited until the 2nd for our OT.

18.7%
  1. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

I agree, I've gotten bored with it myself. Someone revive the "Fire Bill O'Brien" Thread, that one was always fun.

steelbtexan likes this.
  2. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I read someplace that Dillard's father preceded him @ Wash St but did not know anybody in the family had NFL experience ?

3. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

Darrius Heyward-Bey for all of those people out there that are putting too much stock into the combine.

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

There are some that believe that when trying to avoid hamstring injuries and enhance sprint ability, the old traditional "day-after recovery should be ditched." They feel that sprint-oriented exercises need to be incorporated virtually every day. They advocate moderate stress sprint-oriented exercises one day, followed by heavy stress sprint-oriented exercises the next day..........not rest/recovery. What are your thoughts on that?

5. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Lol

maverick512000 likes this.
  6. CloakNNNdagger

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

That's what I thought. You can grade your evaluation against the NFL, not the other way around. Whoever had Taylor rated higher than Howard & McGary had it wrong.

Agree. Dillard is the better athlete.

steelbtexan likes this.
  8. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

All we know for sure is that one team had Howard rated higher and one team had McGary rated higher. NFL draft boards aren't homogeneous.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I'm not talking about NFL draft boards. 32 of 32 NFL teams said Taylor was not worth a 1st round pick.

I'm talking about the mock drafters. There was obviously something the NFL teams knew about Taylor that they did not.

Texas Jake, Number19 and CWTexansFan like this.
  10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That's not true, either. The Jags could have rated Taylor as a 1st round talent, but took a higher rated player. Ditto other teams. We don't know for sure without access to all draft boards.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Ok. 32 of 32 electe... teams with 1st round picks elected not to use them on Taylor.

12. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Only 25 teams made picks in the 1st round. But yes, none of those 25 teams drafted Taylor in the 1st round.

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  13. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I agree completely, that sounds exactly like the Charlie Francis High/Low model. You follow days of high CNS stress exercise with Low Stress days. The high stress days are full speed sprinting of various types and distances with full recovery, and the low stress days are tempo runs of various distances run at about 75% peak velocity, and ideally they are done on a nice grass surface to reduce impact. I also use a heart rate monitor to make sure the session stays in the aerobic zone. I’ve had really good success using this model, and my athletes enjoy it as well.

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Correcto ! And that means the market has spoken and Taylor has been rated or priced at as something less than a first-round value. End of story.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

Appreciate your feedback. This is the approach that I have always thought made more sense. But you don't tend to see it very often in the training of NFL players. Again, thank you for your input.

Texas Jake, HaveMercy and otisbean like this.
  16. Dejaview

Dejaview Veteran

I’ve always followed the Carl Mauck model. A six pack and smoked brisket followed by a day of a six pack and smoked sausage and chicken. But I’m in great shape because I eliminated stress when I retired.

V3rm0nt3r, otisbean and CWTexansFan like this.
  17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

So let me ask you this then. If Howard had of played at a scrub power 5 school like say Indiana, would that have really made him that much better of a prospect than he already was coming out of ASU?

For me no, simply b/c i believe there's more talent at these smaller schools that can play on the NFL level than the NFL would like to actually admit........................& the fact that Indiana has put a grand total of 5 players in the NFL in the last 3 years.....none higher than a 3rd.

& this is one of my pet peeves about scouts and draft gurus. They downgrade these smaller school guys at draft time mainly b/c they're unfamiliar with them...not b/c of "lack of competition faced" and/or some other b.s. that they use for spin on TV. Bottom line is, if you've got the goods and the work ethic, the competition you faced means very little.

The SWAC used to be called the "NFL incubator" back in the day & many of those guys are only there b/c they were late bloomers and/or they just fell through the cracks for 1 reason or another. So if Howard did enough to pop on film for NFL scouts then that's all i need to hear. Considering this kid's journey, to me that means we've really got something.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Mr Tex, I agree when I consider small school players I want to see overwhelming play or stats. One thing I liked about Davenport, he self corrected his play during game without coaching. If we had o line coach, he and Martin would be better. As with O'Brien, our line will be better despite coaching rather than because of it.l

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep, if Devlin had only been able to get Davenport to move his feet faster everything would've been great. How do you know Davenport didn't receive coaching during the game?

The fact that Devlin worked out Davenport and signed off on drafting him makes me temper my enthusiasm for the Howard/Scharping picks.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I think Devlin only gets paid due to O'Brien and I saw D correct often from one play to next as he did in college. Cannot remember seeing Devlin talking to him or other newer guys on sidelines but you are right, IDK. IMO, Devlin had little input on Howard/Scharp.