2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ArlingtonTexan, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Are you happy with our first round pick?

Poll closed May 10, 2019.
  1. Yes. It addressed our #1 need and he was the right player at that pick.

45.3%
  2. No. We should have picked a different OT at 23.

6.7%
  3. No. We should have traded up for Dillard.

29.3%
  4. No. We should have picked BPA and waited until the 2nd for our OT.

18.7%
  1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Look at the level of competition and the combine numbers and I think you will see the gap between them.

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Never said it was.

Just pointing out who was the better athlete and usually a better athlete with a NFL family lineage has a better chance for success.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Exactly

4. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Something Witty !

https://thevikingage.com/2018/06/07/kalil-still-making-excuses-poor-play/

5. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

I have, level of competition is hard to judge as that wasn't Howard's fault and is a result of how screwed up the college system is. Again when he went to the SR bowl he did very well or as you put it "looked like he belonged" there is no reason to think he won't "belong" just as much in the NFL as Dillard. As far as combine numbers they are worthless. They mean as much as a GPA does, they may help you your first job but on day one of that job they stop meaning anything. How many times can you say "Oh if only he had been .09 faster that sack wouldn't have happened." or "That extra half inch on the vertical jump really showed why he is so good."

Don't get me wrong, I still would have liked them to have tried to trade up into early 2nd for Howard and take Brown at 23. Maybe they tried and it didn't work but that's what I would have gone for. That being said I understand why they took Howard at 23 if he was their guy and they were afraid he wouldn't be there later. As far as taking him over Dillard I don't blame them for that either. Aside from the talking heads saying such I myself just don't see enough difference in them and if they thought that Howard's attitude or immeasurables were better I can buy that.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  6. frethack

frethack Veteran

Any chance you could explain the problem(s) that you heard about?

I was also surprised when Richesson resigned, considering the fanfare he got when he joined the organization.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The combine numbers arn't worthless or else they wouldn't have the drills. I'm not saying the combine numbers are the be all end all. But the better the athlete the better the chance for success.

When you combine this with the fact that Dillard has family that played in the NFL, he has a greateter chance for success. This isn't saying Howard cant be successful in the NFL. Just the odds are greater for Dillard to be successful.

8. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

:lol:

9. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I heard that the Texans did a lot of their conditioning on a Versaclimber, which is a great machine. However the VC is a completely different movement pattern than sprinting. Running fast is perhaps the best way to train the hamstrings. Part of conditioning is energy system development but the other part is developing the muscles used in the sport, and they way they are used in the sport. You have to expose athletes to some high speed running. I know they run routes ect in practice, but fatigue slows everyone down which decreases the forces on the muscles. Also, I know athletes do injure their hamstrings sprinting, some of that could be due to fatigue (a fatigued muscle can’t produce or receive the same level of force), some could be faulty mechanics (mechanics could be altered due to fatigue or it could be due to over trying, ie pushing a bit harder to catch a deep ball)

This altered mechanics issue is a big deal. Asafa Powell is one of the best technical sprinters in the world, however in big races he tended to press a bit and his technique went out the window. I saw a PhD in Biomechanics give a presentation on Powell and showed video evidence. It was reall interesting

I’m not sure if they had the WRs using the VC vs wind sprints, but if they did it would help explain some of what happened last season. I didn’t directly observe this so it’s second hand info.

As I’ve said, the Texans are working with Moxy Monitors which look at real time oxygen uses and I believe they’re consulting wit Aaron Davis, and that guy is wicked smart. I have high hopes for this season

Texas Jake, bah007, frethack and 7 others like this.
  10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

So you think they have those drills because they like to see guys running around in shorts hoping for a Chris Jones moment?

CWTexansFan and disaacks3 like this.

11. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

No I think they have those drills because it gives them something else to keep them relevant in the off season, bring players stock up or in some cases down, have sponsors at the combine, get fans excited, and therefore spending more money. At the end of the day its all about making money. Proving the best athlete or other such BS has nothing to do with it.

Edit: This is from 2017 but further proves my point.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2017/03/03/Combine.aspx

CWTexansFan likes this.
  12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

So you think they have those drills because they like to see guys running around in shorts hoping for a Chris Jones moment?
    I just hope a guy like Coutee, who had never had hamstring issues before coming to the Texans doesn't develop chronic hamstring issues. CnD/You can speak to this much better than I ever could.

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and otisbean like this.
  13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You do realize they had the combine long before it became a TV/Draftnik event? So why did they have the combine to begin with when the combine actually used to cost the NFL $$$$.

Texas Jake, CWTexansFan and Lucky like this.
  14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

They did much of this before the combine was a televised and commercial event.

http://www.nflcombine.net/history/

Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  15. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Yes and if you read that before it was about medical evaluations.

"As football and the art of evaluating players has evolved, so has the NFL Scouting Combine. While medical examinations remain the number one priority of the event, athletes will also participate in a variety of psychological and physical tests, as well as, formal and informal interviews with top executives, coaches and scouts from all 32 NFL teams."

So all these numbers weren't factored in when it was started. Ultimately it doesn't matter what it was just what it is and these days it a publicity stunt and a new cash source.

16. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Your quote indicates your predetermined conclusion is wrong, but I am not that invested winning any argument here

steelbtexan likes this.
  17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

My point stands, they were doing these drill, medical evaluation and losing $$$$ before the combine was ever televised.

Ask yourself why they didn't just bring in players for medical evaluations and not do drills and save $$$$ before they started televising it?

18. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

Perhaps it does, I read it differently obviously but I will be the first to admit that yes I don't believe the NFL, or any company really, does anything that will not in some way make it money. Like you, however, I'm not invested enough to care beyond a way to kill some time at work. People value the combine differently, simply agree to disagree.

HaveMercy and steelbtexan like this.
  19. maverick512000

maverick512000 All Pro

And my point stands that it doesn't ultimately matter what it was before, now it is nothing but a glorified pip rally. Ask yourself why the combine became televised and those numbers went up in value as the idea of the mock draft became bigger and bigger if its not about making money.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm not interested in arguing with you on this subject anymore.