2018 Texans to improve status

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Seegara, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

Assuming Watson can stay on the field I think the Texans will finish better than 5th out of the 4 division teams in 2018.

#1 Jags. With a good organization, there's no way this team lets it slip away all at once.
    #2 Texans. Because of Watson, if he stays healthy. But they can't win it with a bad coach.
    #3 Colts. Will be in the running if they can attract a great OC to coach them.
    #4 Titans. By default, although not a bad group. This division no longer the AC doormat.

2. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Re #1Jags - if they loose three top tier pieces like the Texans did, they could most definitely slip.
    Same with any team.

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

From USA TODAY:

Ranking every NFL team by their ability to get better this offseason
    By: Steven Ruiz | February 19, 2018 11:52 am

With the NFL offseason set to kick off in a few weeks (March 14, to be exact), let’s take a look at which teams have put themselves in position to really improve their rosters this spring.

In order to get a good picture of which teams will have the resources to do so (and which teams will not), we’ve put together what we’re calling the NFL offseason asset rankings. The methodology is simple, we’ve ranked every team based on how much cap space they’ll have (via Spotrac) and how much value they can expect to add in the draft based on Chase Stuart’s “Draft Value Chart.”

We’ve combined those two measures to rank all 32 teams based on the resources they’ll have to use this offseason. Here are the composite rankings, which include where each team ranks in terms of draft capital and cap space…

[​IMG]

beerlover, ATXtexanfan and Insideop like this.
  4. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

I'm thinking they got that guy....HC Frank Reich.

5. banned1976

banned1976 American

The bottom 7 are regulars in post season play. 6 of those 7 have either played in a Super Bowl or competed in one over the last 15 years. The top 13 have been also rans or never ran over that period of time.

I'd be OK with the 32nd draft ranking and the high amount of salary cap space if there was going to be an excess of free agency talent coming down the pike. But there isn't and if I were a highly sought after free agent I'd look at San Fran before Houston. I like Watson but I like Jimmy G better. And to be frank, although Houston is my hometown it's a crap place to live compared to San Francisco (and many other places in the CONUS). TBH, once my parents die I'm moving as far away from the gulf coast as possible. I certainly wouldn't hang around just to watch the Texans...lol.

Back to the thread, I don't expect the Texans to improve much, if at all. They may be worse in 2018 than they were in 2017. Would it surprise anyone?

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I like Houston alot more than you do. I really dont like San Francisco, it's too cold/misty/dreary. I love Napa Valley though.

Agreed on the football points. Now that Lil Shanny has Jimmy G look out great things are ahead for that franchise.

santo and JB like this.
  7. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

You should check out Sonoma Valley too (one vally over).

DocBar, JB and steelbtexan like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

One of my favorite wines comes Sonoma Valley

Viansa

9. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

If the Texans are worse, yeah that would surprise me. The Texans excel at being 9-7 and rapidly disappearing from the playoffs, anything other than that is what would surprise me.

infantrycak likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Free agency is gonna be huge for us.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Have you ever lived there... or anywhere besides Houston?

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't care what's said about Houston, and it probably isn't all that great, but I ain't living anywhere that has real winters. I can't handle that ****.

ATXtexanfan, santo, JB and 1 other person like this.
  13. welsh texan

welsh texan Site Contributor

It's amazing how your tolerance to climate depends on what you've experienced. I begin to melt if the temperature gets above 18C (64F) and thats without real humidity as well. Below around 5C (48F) is hibernation weather also :ahhaha:.

14. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

I’ve gone back and rewatched the last 7-8 games on Game Pass thinking I missed something as the 2017 season came to a close, but I just don’t see all this greatness lots of posters in here see. If anything, I’m even more happy that Deshaun Watson is our QB. Just my personal opinion.

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I've done that also and I came away with some pretty obvious conclusions: Watt and Merci staying healthy should instantly make the secondary appear better, the Texans really need to address RB and the OL was just abysmal. If the Texans can overhaul the OL, ala 2017 Vikings, I see plenty of potential, even with the current stable of RB's. I really hope they bring back JJo, but only at a cap friendly deal.

Mangler likes this.
  16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think the last place on Earth you'd want to live is Houston. :lol:

steelbtexan, DocBar and welsh texan like this.
  17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I was thinking that last Sunday as I was cleaning snow off my car. It was ~30*F and I was in a T-shirt and perfectly comfortable.

18. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

I don't mind the cold as long as there's rain, but I hate the humid heat of inland Texas summers.

19. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Teams with most leverage appear to be true dogs (dogging it big time) atempting some kinda hyperbolic warp drive fueled with largest cap space and most draft gold.

Which brings me to the Texans who’s primary reason to have so much cap space is they gifted away picks by making bad decision after bad decision now ranking dead last with least valued draft picks. Quite unique approach I must say, will be fascinating to watch how this all resolves itself.

steelbtexan likes this.
  20. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

They didn't gift away the 1st for Watson.