2018 Front office changes

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by disaacks3, Jan 2, 2018.

1. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...zzo-John-Butler-12467354.php?ipid=hpsportsctp
    No big shockers here.

2. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

Nope. None of those guys units were getting it done so this is to be expected.

3. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

No Devlin on the list?

Earl34, infantrycak, JB and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

Nope. According to O’Brien, Devlin is a “great offensive line” coach. Maybe he is, who really knows.

Thorn and steelbtexan like this.
  5. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Yeah, there really wasn't a whole lot he could do given the players he had to work with.

Texas Jake and steelbtexan like this.
  6. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I'm sure I dunno either. What little expertise I might have it sure doesn't include evaluating the competence level of offense line coachs.
    I do know one thing about Texans' Oline coachs - we for sure had atleast one very good one, maybe one great one and his name was Gibbs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

So if Rick is out of the game, who's doing all the firing? OB throwing his own staff to the curb? Or was it Rick's staff that he's getting rid of? Surely the McNair's didn't come to those conclusions that those guys needed to go.

This franchise is so back asswards it's unreal.

8. Earl34

Earl34 Veteran

O'Brien has always had control of his coaching staff. He's the one who hired a first time special teams coach (Izzo), a guy without any experience coaching NFL DBs (John Butler) and a guy who has no experience coaching NFL RBs (Charles London). So, OB is doing the firing.

This is a another example of a first time HC hiring inexperienced assistant coaches. I give OB credit for making these changes but most people would have told him bringing his Penn State staff with little NFL experience to his first NFL job had a 50/50 chance of getting him fired.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Kubiak did the same thing but they weren't mostly college coaches...

I think it telling that Barnhardt? left

He was OB's closest guy and was heavily relied on for game planning iirc

ObsiWan likes this.
  10. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Vrabel is still our DC too? Talk about a unit that didn't deliver at all.

11. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Maybe the moves that should be initiated would involve:

1. O'Brien wears the HC cap exclusively.
    2. O'Brien hires an OC to run the offense with little to no micro-management.
    3. Crennel remains in the box, but his headset is now wired to Vrabel, exclusively. Asst HC / DC Mentor.

I could get pretty stoked if Frank Reich's name was being mentioned in the search for an OC.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  12. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Apparently "I need to coach better" means "we need better assistant coaches."

13. UKTexan

UKTexan Rookie

I don't get this either, why is he being talked about as a HC elsewhere when his first season as DC was a disaster?

14. Shishkabob

Shishkabob All Pro

why would Obrien hire an OC and let him run it with no management? A. then why would he be the head coach of he doesn't manage those under him, and B. he had the NFL's best offense with Watson, why would he just let a new OC mess up what they already had going?

also why the he'll would Reich move laterally from philly's oc to our oc when he already gets to coach and mvp caliber qb, with a much better roster?

Perki-Perk and steelbtexan like this.
  15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Do the names, Bouye, Watt, Mercilous, Simon, Cushing, Johnson (among others) mean anything to you.

Call it an excuse if you want, but I'd say easily more than half of the DC's in the league would chuck their entire defense and start over with just the names on the list above as a starting point and build around them.

It's hard to make chicken salad without the chicken.

DocBar likes this.
  16. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Vrabel couldn't even make a salad out of the lettuce he had. Yes we had injuries, every team does, that doesn't mean we should rank dead last. To me it looked like guys weren't put in position to succeed like previous years. Our defense should have been all about Clowney and our ILBs. Injuries only grant a partial pass IMO. Loved Vrabel as a position coach, his LB'ers were awesome. I'm not impressed with him as a DC at all.

Earl34 and steelbtexan like this.
  17. Shishkabob

Shishkabob All Pro

I could understand this argument the players on the field weren't constantly out of position, whiffing on open field tackles consistently, and barely being able to figure out where to line up before the ball snaps. that to me shows bad coaching

18. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

I never liked the John Butler hiring initially, but to his credit our secondary ranked very well in recent years. #3 pass defense in 2015 and even having the #1 pass defense in the league for most of 2016 (we finished #2 in pass defense behind Denver). On paper, if you just went by the stats and didn't watch any games, you would think we had one of the best secondaries in the league. But even then I would see a lot of mistakes from our young players.

In 2017 we slipped all the way down to #24 in pass defense. Losing A.J. Bouye was a big loss. But when you have a great pass rush it can make the secondary look good. Our front seven took a big hit this year with the season-ending injuries to Watt and Mercilus early in the season. The suspension to Cushing although our young linebackers played well for us.

The main problem I had with John Butler is our young talent in the secondary never made any noticeable strides or improvements under his watch. First-round cornerback, Kevin Johnson, has only gotten worse from year one to year three in the league. He still makes the same idiotic penalties. And I still see too much playing the receiver instead of turning your head backwards and playing the ball on those end zone plays or side line throws. For the love of God, you would think a highly touted defensive back prospect coming out of college would have the basic skills to properly play the ball in the air.

Anyways, John Butler is gone. He had some success here prior to 2017. I have to give him credit for the good things he did here, but at the end of the day the young players in the secondary weren't progressing. And when our pass defense goes from #3 and #2 in the league, to #24, you can't hide behind a top 3 pass defense anymore.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

The problem is how did we go from arguably the best defense in the league, to arguably the worst? Watt didn’t really play in 2016, so losing him again shouldn’t have made a difference. Simon, Cushing and Demps are merely role players. Are you saying Mercilus & Bouye were simply that good to make a complete 180 turnaround?

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Johnson has a foot injury, (the worst kind of injury for a CB.) He may stick around a few yrs but will never be the player he could've become.