Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Post-Combine Projections

PapaL

Loose Screw
Ehhhh....

The Pick: QB DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame

We can all agree Brock Osweiler isn't the answer, right? Let's also go ahead and declare that Tom Savage isn't the long-term starter, either. That leaves the door open for a quarterback at pick No. 25 if one happens to fall to the Texans. In this pre-free agency mock draft, one does.

DeShone Kizer entered the season as my No. 1 ranked quarterback, but he struggled without NFL talent around him after Ronnie Stanley, Nick Martin, Will Fuller and C.J. Prosise went in the draft last year. This season saw Kizer benched for Malik Zaire and otherwise limping to a four-win finish.

What scouts will see though is the size, arm strength and how well he interviews. That might be enough to have him off the board by No. 25, but if not, the Houston Texans should jump all over the chance to pair Kizer's tools with Bill O'Brien.

57. LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt
89. CB Rasul Douglas, West Virginia
131. EDGE Tim Williams, Alabama
169. LB Ben Gedeon, Michigan
188. S Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami (FL)
243. LB Steven Taylor, Houston

I was not impressed with Kizer during this past season, and I was definitely not impressed watching him at the combine. Bad footwork and he made up for that by being inaccurate, throwing behind and in the dirt. If he does that when he is supposed to shine, what is he going to do when all NFL talent is crashing in on him? Not my choice for the Texans #1 pick.

If Mahomes, Watson or Trubisky are gone by 1-25, I would go with the first "Texans Bad Boy Draft." Trade down to the top of the second, pick up an extra 2 and a 4 (I don't know the values), then get the best available OL, Mixon, BPA at corner or safety, Kelly, BPA's the rest of the way. Roll out next fall with the first and second place winners of Savage/Osweiller/Weeden open competition (loser gets cut), and Kelly becomes #3.

Back