Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2016 Free agent targets

FWIW Lance Zierlein just said on Sports talk 790 that there was a buzz/rumors at the combine that the Texans are gonna make a big offer to Brock Osweiler.

Man I would hate that but we have to bring in someone with game experience and there just isn't much out there. If we do bring him in I prey we still do our best to move up and get one n of the top 3 guys.

Man I would hate that but we have to bring in someone with game experience and there just isn't much out there. If we do bring him in I prey we still do our best to move up and get one n of the top 3 guys.

If we sign a high dollar vet, no chance we give up draft picks to move up and select another QB. We may draft one, but it won't be in the first and maybe not the 2nd

I'd have no problems with a contract averaging close to that. Would depend on guaranteed monies and the structure of the contract.
Agreed!

I think one thing that may surprise a few people is how much the early FA signings are going to cost teams. Right now, Over The Cap has the Texans listed as having almost $43 Million in cap space, and that only puts them at 10th on their list of cap space by team. There's lots of money out there to be spent, and if you and I know it, so do the players and their agents.

Agreed!

I think one thing that may surprise a few people is how much the early FA signings are going to cost teams. Right now, Over The Cap has the Texans listed as having almost $43 Million in cap space, and that only puts them at 10th on their list of cap space by team. There's lots of money out there to be spent, and if you and I know it, so do the players and their agents.

Yeah, I heard it reported that over a billion dollars in cap space this year. Agents are gonna drive very hard bargains early

Are we days away from mad scramble to Houston for free-agent QBs?

Late last week at the NFL scouting combine, a personnel man was working his relationships for a specific piece of information. With his team laying a foundation for draft and free-agent maneuvering, he had a pressing question: What are the Houston Texans planning at quarterback?

This has been one of the steadiest leaguewide queries since the Super Bowl, posed by a string of team executives, coaches and agents, each jockeying to get a grasp on a market hungry for offseason quarterback options. In their pursuit, a pattern has emerged, placing the Texans as one of the most pivotal dominos in the quarterbacks market this offseason. Thanks to a variety of factors, Houston is officially a preferred destination, be it for purposes of leverage or a genuine interest in putting a quarterback in an ideal situation to succeed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/are-we...-to-texans-for-free-agent-qbs--210815539.html

Reactions: JB

This is the nature of the importance/value of an NFL QB- Other than being very patience or very lucky, you must overpay and incur risk to get a QB, whether that is in the draft, via trade, or in free agency.

This is the nature of the importance/value of an NFL QB- Other than being very patience or very lucky, you must overpay and incur risk to get a QB, whether that is in the draft, via trade, or in free agency.

People always say "overpay." By what definition? It's what the market bears.

Reactions: JB

For me, "overpay" the way most people use it is a lot like a "reach" in the draft. The "pundits" have a contract in mind that they think a guy should get or they have a spot in the draft where they think he should go, but if a team doesn't pay what the pundits think they should, or draft a guy where the pundits think he should have been drafted doesn't mean that the team was wrong to pay that or draft there, it just means the pundits were wrong, and are now going to continue to be wrong at the top of their lungs.

I understand the "what the market bears" definition. At the same time, when you've got a guy who's never won a play off game (Tannehill, Dalton) being paid as much as a top 10 QB... Bradford is a better example, he's being over paid imo.

I understand the "what the market bears" definition. At the same time, when you've got a guy who's never won a play off game (Tannehill, Dalton) being paid as much as a top 10 QB... Bradford is a better example, he's being over paid imo.

Inflation... Supply and Demand
The Eagles were worried that the Texans would pay even more, so they did an early deal with Bradford

If we sign a high dollar vet, no chance we give up draft picks to move up and select another QB. We may draft one, but it won't be in the first and maybe not the 2nd

I totally disagree with that no one we can get in free agency is a surefire Give the keys to franchise type quarterback.

I totally disagree with that no one we can get in free agency is a surefire Give the keys to franchise type quarterback.

I didn't say that any were surefire franchise QB's. If we sign a mid level FA, we might still go for one of the top 3 QB's in the draft but not if we pay Big money for a vet. NO unproven is surefire. If they pay Osweiler big money it's because they think he can be. Agree with the premise or not, I don't see them trading mutual 1st rd picks to move up in the draft plus pay big money for a placeholder

I didn't say that any were surefire franchise QB's. If we sign a mid level FA, we might still go for one of the top 3 QB's in the draft but not if we pay Big money for a vet. NO unproven is surefire. If they pay Osweiler big money it's because they think he can be. Agree with the premise or not, I don't see them trading mutual 1st rd picks to move up in the draft plus pay big money for a placeholder
I would see them draft a QB like Cook or Hogan in the 2nd or 3rd (hopefully not Hackensack) if they paid big money to Oz.

SOTT's Big 40: Potential Houston Texans Free Agent Targets
Patrick Starr
Yesterday at 4:06 PM

A comprehensive look at potential Houston Texans targets for the upcoming 2016 free agency period.

In less than a week, the Houston Texans, along with the other 31 NFL teams, will feast on the open market for all of the available free agents, with an ultimate goal of improving the team.

In an annual collaboration with the man known only as Big Ron, State of the Texans complied a realistic look on who the Texans could be targeting in regards to need and the money it would take to bring in the potential target.

The list includes 40 soon-to-be unrestricted free agents who are set to hit the market unless they strike a deal with their current team. We did not include restricted free agents in this list.

Enjoy.

I would see them draft a QB like Cook or Hogan in the 2nd or 3rd (hopefully not Hackensack) if they paid big money to Oz.

I would like to see it also... and they may if Cook drops to 45 or close... but I don't see them moving way up to draft one

FWIW Lance Zierlein just said on Sports talk 790 that there was a buzz/rumors at the combine that the Texans are gonna make a big offer to Brock Osweiler.

I know we need a QB badly but Osweiler had half of a good season, that's not enough to be throwing stupid money at him. I'd rather go all in on a rookie with a friendly salary for 5 yrs. than an unknown commodity in Osweiler.

I know we need a QB badly but Osweiler had half of a good season, that's not enough to be throwing stupid money at him. I'd rather go all in on a rookie with a friendly salary for 5 yrs. than an unknown commodity in Osweiler.

Schaub played less before we gave up two 2nd & a starter's contract.

We won't be giving up any draft picks to get him.

However, I don't think we have a chance at getting him. Denver just won the Super Bowl & they seem pretty serious about wanting him. If anything, he'll just use us to get Denver to up the ante.

Last edited:

LZ also says that Osweiler shares a lot of traits and abilities with Lynch. Basically getting Lynch but without the use of a draft pick.

OK, so, on one side we have the QBs that were brought in specifically for OB: Fitzpatrick (6-6), Mallett (2-4), Hoyer (4-5), Weeden (1-0), Daniels.

On the other side, we have QBs who had a connection with the Texans during the Kubiak era: Keenum (2-0), Yates (2-0).

So, with his "own" guys, OB is 13-15, but with Kubiak's guys, OB is 4-0.

Osweiler has had a year under Kubiak.

:trophy:

LZ also says that Osweiler shares a lot of traits and abilities with Lynch. Basically getting Lynch but without the use of a draft pick.
As strong an arm Osweiler has, I don't believe he had a pass beyond 15 yds, and I believe his completion rate for passes beyond 10 yds was ~40%. When outside the 20s where he could dink and dunk, but once inside the red zone..............
0008.gif

As strong an arm Osweiler has, I don't believe he had a pass beyond 15 yds, and I believe his completion rate for passes beyond 10 yds was ~40%. When outside the 20s where he could dink and dunk, but once inside the red zone..............
0008.gif

You sure about that? Classic Kubiak play:

Yeah you have to click thru to view it on youtube.

Nice play. Missed that play.............but he threw from the 35 and it was caught at the 35...........actually a 78 yd TD play...........but only a 30 yd pass.

[EDIT: I see how I missed.....because it was in preseason......the last preseason game, when mostly scrubs are in]
[EDIT: The link you posted for the video was blocked supposedly by the NFL, but found this one
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...1302/Can-t-Miss-Play-Brock-Osweiler-goes-deep ]

Last edited:
Nice play. Missed that play.............but he threw from the 35 and it was caught at the 35...........actually a 78 yd TD play...........but only a 30 yd pass.

[EDIT: I see how I missed.....because it was in preseason......the last preseason game, when mostly scrubs are in]

Actually he threw it from the 17 and it was caught on the 34...

The market sets the price. If the value of the player to your team's success is below market price, then you are overpaying. The price is based on expectation, but the value is based on performance.

Just because a woman has boobs and blonde hair don't make her Kate Upton.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kate+upton&biw=1280&bih=969&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjg-fffianLAhVlyYMKHdmPC8cQiR4ImgE&dpr=1#imgrc=z7GjfNQ9Vxzu7M:

It won't cost you a draft pick to get Osweiler, but it will cost you 5-6 times as much money as a rookie and it could be an anchor around your neck. When possible draft the expensive positions on the roster and sign FA's for depth and/or to fill the less expensive roster spots. Stretch that money.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
Just because a woman has boobs and blonde hair don't make her Kate Upton.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kate+upton&biw=1280&bih=969&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjg-fffianLAhVlyYMKHdmPC8cQiR4ImgE&dpr=1#imgrc=z7GjfNQ9Vxzu7M:

It won't cost you a draft pick to get Osweiler, but it will cost you 5-6 times as much money as a rookie and it could be an anchor around your neck. When possible draft the expensive positions on the roster and sign FA's for depth and/or to fill the less expensive roster spots. Stretch that money.

You have to spend money some where I would rather spend on young QB with upside. Then you can draft for other needs DL-WR-TE-S-CB-ILB-RB there are a lot of needs. Plus Osweiler has had time to learn with a clip board.

March 9th 3pm free agency starts, woo hoo. It's just a few days away and I can't wait to see who the Texans get. Lots of different rumors floating around about different QB's.

I HATE the way that throw looked. That player was wide freaking open but he had to stop and wait for the ball to get to him. Before he came to the Texans when I was looking at Hoyer's Brown's highlights, he was doing the same thing. He was never hitting a guy in stride.

I HATE the way that throw looked. That player was wide freaking open but he had to stop and wait for the ball to get to him. Before he came to the Texans when I was looking at Hoyer's Brown's highlights, he was doing the same thing. He was never hitting a guy in stride.
One major criticism of Osweiler in general is that he does not lead receivers and hit them in stride.

The Broncos have not asked Manning to take a physical......he's gone. A report has come out that they have offered Osweiler somewhere more than Foles' $12.27 million, with no mention of length of proposed contract............contract negotiations are reportedly not going that well.

[EDIT: Note that the $45 million figure includes incentives............we don't yet know what portion is guaranteed, and which of the incentives are reasonably expected to be reached. I have an idea that Elway is not giving away the farm with what he has seen from Osweiler up to now......and that is why Osweiler has not automatically signed]

Last edited:
Has Ben previously had inside knowledge on the Texans?

Well back in July he did report that the Broncos tried to trade Manning to the Texans... he's a radio host for Denver and was quoted by Florio so I'm sure he's in the know for everything Texans :rolleyes:

Link

Back