2015 Texans Draft Needs

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Wolf6151, May 21, 2014.

1. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Is it to early to start talking about next years Houston Texans draft needs? We didn't fill all our holes in 1 draft. I know it's very early but here's the needs as I see them for now, in no particular order for now.

*QB, we've got 1 real vet. and 3 potential hopefuls. Hopefully someone will step up and take this off the list of needs but for now it's probably our biggest 2015 draft need. O'Brien doesn't strike me as a guy who will give a player 3-4 yrs. of development time to see what he'll become. Also, for now 2015 seems to be a very good year for QB's.
    *CB, KJ will hit FA and JJo is expensive. Plus it doesn't seem we have much on the team in the way of replacements in the CB pipeline. Very high priority.
    *WR, possibly a very big need depending on the AJ issue, we'll see. At the least we need some high quality developmental talent to replace AJ in a year or 2.
    *DE, opposite JJ we've got Crick and some depth but no one that really wows anyone or puts fear in opposing OC's.
    ILB/OLB depth, depth is needed at both positions. Hopefully Bullough can step up and own ILB next to Cushing, not sure of Reeds FA situation.

How do you see next years needs?

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Free Safety 1st Day
    CB 2nd Day
    DE 2nd Day
    BPA 3rd Day

Savage will turn into Texan version of Nick Foles, w/TJ or Case as back-up. OL will be set with quality depth, two/three deep every position.
    Back-end will be addressed early. Have no idea if KJ will return or how Swearinger progresses based off last season & teams will be starved for big stronger db's to defend 2014 outstanding WR class. :)

3. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

QB, CB, C, WR1, DE, SCB, ILB, SWR, move TE

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

^^^^
    This

If Savage works out that solves a multitude of problems and the team can focus on fixing the secondary problems.

The way the game is played now you need 2 S and 3 CB's to play the 60% nickel that most teams are playing. Look at Seattle/SF as the model for great defense. BTW, I think Cleamons will be an upgrade at FS. With Swearinger dropping down to play the old GQ role as nickel LB and Lewis (who I'm not as confident in) playing the 3rd S role.

5. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

much the same from me:
    QB, CB, ILB, OT, TE, DE, RB

6. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

QB is the obvious one. Keep going to the well until you find your guy. CB is the biggest one after that. For me at least. Also need to plan for post-AJ and find his successor.

7. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

Quinshad Davis out of North Carolina is one to keep an eye on if he decides to leave early. I think he's on the upswing and will have an even better season this season with Ebron gone.

8. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I forgot all about OT. We cut Winston 3yrs. ago and still haven't solidified that position. We've got Newton who will hopefully be healthy this season and better able to show us what he's got at OT, Quessenberry who's an unknown at RT, and B. Williams who I'll be very surprised if we ever get any playing time from, and then some depth guys. This might be a spot we spend some FA money on, we've already got enough draft needs and I don't want to throw some mid round talent out there and possibly get our QB hurt.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not too early and this was my post on a thread by Playoffs a week ago when I thought he was seriously posting.

"Dang, thought you were serious. I am already focusing on positions IF '14 draft is what team hopes. For example, first four guys should start and Savage should at least become a backup. I would then not draft OLB, OG, Nose or TE but would go QB as high as round one if right guy there. In 2015 I want a CB, two safeties, an ILB and maybe two depending if Cushing makes it three in a row or injury list and QB. Hopefully, Bullough surprises people and is as good as I think he can be."

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Witzmann is going to be the RT if Quessenberry isn't the starting RT and Witzmann will do a fine job. He's a big guy with good feet and a nasty streak. He needs to gain a little strength. But is better than Newton today. IMHO

How's that for a bold prediction?

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Well Newton started as a 7th round pick so a UDFA should not surprise anyone but I am going to say he falls behind both Newton and Q at least for half a season or so.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

When Joseph signed he was much more highly thought of than KJ is now and Joseph's first year of contract was base of $5.5 million. Jackson's 2014 base is $4 m. Do you think he will get more than Joseph and if yes, from Texans or do they allow him to walk? We could be in dire straights for DBs this season. The base for Joseph is around $9 million and he will have to play like a probowler to earn that. We need to hope some of these end of bench guys step up sooner rather than later. We are set for now but it better look better than last season or KJ, Joseph, Harris and others may join McCain/

13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

That is a bold prediction and will gladly give you credit if it comes true. I'm not familiar with Witzmann so I don't share in your optimism. It's good to know that we'll have serious competition at RT as I don't expect anything from B. Williams. I just hope we can find someone to lock down RT for years to come so that we can scratch it off our list of needs. I'd really like us to be able to concentrate on QB and CB in the first couple rounds.

14. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

I think this is Joseph's last year on the team. Cut next off season, resign KJ, draft a CB in the first 3 rounds.

15. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Can't argue with that list at all.

I might add RT depending on how things play out this year. Someone (Quiss?) needs to grab hold of RT and not let it go.

Is Ben Jones the heir apparent at C to Myers? If not, add that to at least day 3 consideration.

I won't be shocked if Foster is released after this campaign. Do we have an answer on the roster? I doubt it, but remains to be seen.

I know KR/PR isn't an official position but really guys what do we have there? Sometimes that is filled by one guy - usually two. If we do draft a WR, RB, or even CB somewhere on day 2 or 3, would be nice if they could be a plus in the return game.

Safety merits discussion as well.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

better be a darn good corner to start as a rookie.

17. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree with you that this is what will most likely happen, but I also agree with BB in being afraid of this scenario. KJ isn't a #1 CB and we've all seen what happens when you throw a rookie to the wolves. CB is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL and usually takes at least 1 yr. of sitting on the bench and learning. Maybe we go with another lesser quality FA with some of the money we save from JJo being cut. I just can't see throwing KJ, Harris, and a rookie on the field all the time. Hopefully our pass rush issues are solved by then, because we're surely going to need it.

18. NCTexan

NCTexan Hall of Fame

I don't necessarily want the rookie starting as #1 or #2 corner. I'm hoping Bouye or Hall manages to figure it out enough that we're comfortable with one of them playing strong. If not, then some middle FA is what I would go with.

I agree Wolf that this plan really does require the pass rush to be strong though.

19. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Well we just had a draft with five CBs going in the first round. Two of them (Fuller and Verrett) I would have no problem throwing into the starting lineup immediately.

Gilbert and Roby need some coaching up but will probably have to start as rookies for their teams.

Dennard will likely get the benefit of sitting on the bench until he adjusts to the faster speed of the NFL game.

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Don't forget 3 safeties their DB's too. Really wanted Bucannon almost much as Texian wanted Bortles, lol.