Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2015 free agents

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Adam Caplan @caplannfl
#Saints waived 2014 2nd-round pick CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste.

#azcardinals waived QB Logan Thomas 2014 4th round pick

The Packers cut 2014 third-round defensive lineman Khyri Thornton, 2014 fourth-round linebacker Carl Bradford, and a pair of this year’s picks, fifth-round wide receiver Jared Abbrederis and sixth-round defensive lineman Christian Ringo.

Last edited:

Playoffs

Hall of Fame

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
It may be I'm more focused on the goings on, but seems like teams are cutting bait on draft picks earlier, especially 2014 picks? I'll look into it further after rosters are set, but I've read a lot of team beat articles 'congratulating' coaches for proactively dumping lesser players regardless of draft status.

Like this one: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2015/09/brandin_cooks_cant_salvage_new.html or this: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/324783851.html

Maybe it's just me.
You may well be on to something. I know in addition to the two situations addressed in your links, Green Bay let go of both their #3 & #4 picks from last years (2014) draft.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan
The #Giants were awarded CB Asa Jackson and DT Louis Nix

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
Wow, #Bucs. TB claimed Kourtnei Brown, Jeremiah George, Ryan Griffin, James Michael Johnson & Eric Kush

As for the #Saints, NO claimed Obum Gwachum & Michael Mauti

This is unexpected. There were no claims for former Saints CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Peter Schrager @PSchrags
The Miami Dolphins have acquired ex- Cardinals QB Logan Thomas via waiver wire.

Adam Caplan @caplannfl
#Buccaneers claimed the most players with 5;

6 teams claimed two players each.

Peter Schrager @PSchrags
Most interesting note of waiver wire pickups today ... Not a single wide receiver nor running back was claimed. Not one.

Howard Balzer @HBalzer721
Teams w/ most of their players claimed: SEA 4; HOU, JAX 3; ARZ, BLT, GB, KC, NORL, TB 2; CHI, DEN, MINN, SD, TENN 1

Last edited:

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
So the 58th and 62nd (2nd round) selections of 2013 NFL Draft both trash-heaped...

Both RBs. :thinking:

Dan Wiederer @danwiederer
The Bears have cut Jordan Mills today. By also claiming guard Patrick Omameh, the door is open wider for a Kyle Long shift to tackle.

Jeff Howe @jeffphowe
The Patriots released Cameron Fleming, per source. First reported by @MikeReiss.​

2013 5th and 4th round OLs.

Peter Schrager @PSchrags
Steelers also cut 2015 4th round draft pick CB Doran Grant (121st overall pick) out of Ohio State.

Steelers cut DE Anthony Chickillo, 2015 6th round pick.​

Last edited:

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Dallas trading for former Seattle RB Christine Michael, per league source. Michael returns to Texas, where he starred at Texas A & M.
So ends the Christine Michael era in Seattle. He was highly touted as a 2nd round pick in 2013 but failed to display the consistency needed to surpass Robert Turbin on the depth chart. As a result, despite his physical explosiveness, he never really got much playing time. His tenure in Seattle ends with 34 carries for 175 yards.

Seahawks running backs coach Sherman Smith was very honest recently when Dave Softy Mahler asked him about Christine Michael's development. Obviously, the main concern with Michael was the consistency.

"C-Mike (Christine Michael) is a guy that has so much talent, but the consistency needs to get there," said Smith. "Can't have a good play then a bad play. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he went out there and broke one for 90 yards, but then I'm not surprised if he puts one on the ground. So, we're just telling him, he has to become more consistent. Talent-wise, the guy has all of it, but we just want more consistency from him."

Smith continued:

"It's frustrating because he's such a good player. He has such talent. We want him to 'get it.' 'Here's what it takes for you to play in this league.' You should say to yourself: 'I'm a second-round draft pick, I haven't played in two years, what do I need to do?' So we tell him, you need to become more consistent.

"I told him, talent-wise, your talent scale is higher than Turbo's," said Smith. "But, dependability-wise, professional-wise, you need to learn something from him. So the frustrating part is not seeing him be what he can be as a player. So, I just want to see that happen for him. We try to coach him the right way. Be positive with him. We tell him, 'It's not about you proving us wrong, prove us right. You were a second-round draft pick. Prove us right, why we drafted you.' So that's why we keep encouraging him."

What it came down to, I think, is that Michael just wasn't trustworthy with the football... It's hard to play a guy... if you fear that he'll cough up the rock for you. Turnovers can and do decide games every week.​

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Jason Cole ‏@JasonColeBR
Yes, LB Aldon Smith is subject to discipline from the #NFL.

Former 49ers LB Aldon Smith has signed a 1-yr deal with Raiders​

...and right on cue:

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 17m
Per Santa Clara County prosecutors office, Aldon Smith charged today w/ 3 misdemeanors, inc DUI w/ prior. Will be arraigned on Oct. 6.​
Damn.... Raiders going to the Super Bowl with players like that. Doing everything it takes to put a winning product on the field. Except.. the getting on the field part.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Quintin Coples waived by the New York Jets. Jets had optioned his 5th year at $7.751m.
I don't think the book is closed on this guy at all. This is not a player I'd be upset for the Texans to take a look at. Not at all. Back to 3-4 DE for him here (IMO) but he could be a real asset. Probably end up in Buffalo though.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Damn.... Raiders going to the Super Bowl with players like that. Doing everything it takes to put a winning product on the field. Except.. the getting on the field part.
They are an improved team this yr. Not that you would really want that.

Smith was a low risk (Who could they have replaced him with that was better than what they are now going to be running out there?) high reward.

More of God'ell ruining the GAME.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They are an improved team this yr..
Just like we've got our systemic quirks, the Raiders do as well. This is the part of the season where we'll see if there's been any real change. The Raiders, like the Browns tend to fall apart when the games have post season implications.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Just like we've got our systemic quirks, the Raiders do as well. This is the part of the season where we'll see if there's been any real change. The Raiders, like the Browns tend to fall apart when the games have post season implications.
Without Smith I expect the Raiders defense to fall of a bit and therefore their record. Smith has helped them improve and he will be missed. Hence this was a good signing from an on the field product standpoint. How good would the team had been to this point on the field had Smith not been signed?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Without Smith I expect the Raiders defense to fall of a bit and therefore their record. Smith has helped them improve and he will be missed. Hence this was a good signing from an on the field product standpoint. How good would the team had been to this point on the field had Smith not been signed?
No more than giving Matt Schaub a big contract. Or Arian, or Cush....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No more than giving Matt Schaub a big contract. Or Arian, or Cush....
Huge difference and you know this. Smith was signed to the vet minimum. Schaub/Arian/Cush were coming off major injuries and signed to big multi yr deals with huge signing bonuses putting the team in cap hell, especially when you consider that these guys weren't even eligible for FA.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Huge difference and you know this. Smith was signed to the vet minimum. Schaub/Arian/Cush were coming off major injuries and signed to big multi yr deals with huge signing bonuses putting the team in cap hell, especially when you consider that these guys weren't even eligible for FA.
This situation yes. But I'm talking about in general. Signing guys like Aldon Smith isn't very different than taking a chance on guys with injury concerns. The bottom line is "on the field" regardless what is keeping him off the field.

Besides... we know the Texans considered drafting Smith. We don't know what it was that tilted the scales to "no."

I also doubt he'd have helped our team this season as much as he helped Oakland.

Now if we could have found a drug dealing 6'7" 250 lb QB with a rocket arm... now that's the kind of guy we should have picked up.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This situation yes. But I'm talking about in general. Signing guys like Aldon Smith isn't very different than taking a chance on guys with injury concerns. The bottom line is "on the field" regardless what is keeping him off the field.

Besides... we know the Texans considered drafting Smith. We don't know what it was that tilted the scales to "no."

I also doubt he'd have helped our team this season as much as he helped Oakland.

Now if we could have found a drug dealing 6'7" 250 lb QB with a rocket arm... now that's the kind of guy we should have picked up.
We will have to disagree, Smith playing at 100% for 10 games at the vet min is much more advantageous than signing a vet with injury issues to a longterm contract therefore ruining cap flexibility. The Texans got lucky, Wade wanted Smith and the 49ers picked him before the Texans could, the Texans ended up with a GOAT. (Living right)

To me football is about entertainment, I could care less what people do in their private lives. Tell me more about this QB you speak of, does he have a great will to win, does put in the work in the film room, is he very accurate, great arm strength ect... if so sign me up. As long as the QB doesn't have Carruth/Hernandez tendencies.