2014 QB Class Not That Great

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kingtexan, Jan 5, 2014.

1. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2014-nfl-draft-supposed-one-233639213.html

Decent commentary on where we are with the QB's.

Interesting comment about one source saying Bridgewater only deserved a 2nd round grade.

2. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

LOL.

Really shows how good Bridgewater is when you can look at what he's done and say to yourself that he hasn't met expectations.

Still have yet to see any real criticism against him that doesn't involve just a gut feeling. If you don't like him, fine by me. But I'm getting the feeling that the people who don't like him don't even know why.

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

Yeah, basically all the criticism is around 2 things:

1. Small and thin. Well 6 3 or 6 2, that`s still taller than Wilson or Brees and not really all that small - and a NFL conditioning program should help that 21 year old kid to fill out his body.

2. Subpar competition. Nothing he could do about that, but he excelled in big games against good competition.

If he shows up at the combine, proves he can do all the throws I am sure he will cement his status as number 1 QB this draft. He will definetly interview well...

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

That's just silly, 9 first round graded QBs.

The obfuscation begins -- everything said between now and the draft is strategy.

5. bhsman

bhsman All Pro

There's no way they can all get picked, which is more of a reason to consider grabbing one in the second and trading down/grabbing Clowney or Barr.

6. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

Because he's fundamentally sound like Tim Duncan. Good,not great athlete. Good,not great arm. Good mobility, Great mobility,poise,pocket presence and will grade off the charts on the chalkboards.

7. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

On it's face that sounds like a good strategy, but it's doubtful even half of these guys pan out.

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Wouldn't want a Tim Duncan caliber player?

As far as the QB class goes, we only need one great one, all the better for us if the rest suck.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Then you've missed some of my posts - These are only partial quotes , to take them in context you probably have to go back to the conversation's they come from.

10. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

Being undersized and having a low delivery point have nothing to do with a gut feeling and are valid concerns. If you haven't seen these criticisms, you weren't looking too hard.

I respect those who see these concerns and still believe his other skills more than compensate for the concerns, but to ignore them and say they do not exist would be foolish for our FO. But for fans who have no real responsibility, I'll let it pass as simple overboard enthusiasm.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

@Corrosion

Strange, I regularly read he has great mechanics and a very quick release. Mechanic wise I only read about two concerns: 1. sometimes sloppy mechanics when throwing a deep ball. 2. Releasing the ball next to his ear and not above his head. Are those two things dealbreakers for you?

And trouble reading a defense? I´ve read several times that this is one of his biggest strengths. The coach has given him the keys to the offense in his sophomore year, making him basically the coordinator on the field. Presnap he is said to have Manning like football intelligence when dissecting a defense. After the snap he always has his eyes downfield and goes fast trough his progressions. What exactly are you worried about here?

12. revan

revan Veteran

Bridgewater is going to get picked apart like a chocolate brownie cake in Amsterdam from now until he gets drafted. I for one have made my decision on him, and hope we get him with our number one pick.

13. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Certain posters are going tobe furious that Blake was listed last/worst. Prepare for the wrath...

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I'm very well aware of what the concerns about Bridgewater are. He is skinny and he does have a low delivery point. I have acknowledged these and mentioned that neither of those concerns are a deal breaker to me.

My point was that on this board there are a number of people who don't like him, but don't seem to know why they don't like him. Thunderkyss and Corrosion have put forth valid criticism. Most everyone else has not.

For example, I disagree with Corrosion that Bridgewater needs work in the mental part of the game. I think he excels there. But I at least can respect the fact that Corrosion has reasoning behind his opinion and is not just blindly saying he doesn't like the guy.

thunderkyss likes this.
  15. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://270c81.medialib.glogster.com/media/ae/ae78dbc42a92bbe69f9d32605fb0b5539f4774ce3fe52d79a2b941648b00394a/watermelonlolwut.jpg[/IMG]

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

If it is fact that two teams thought Hundley was the best QB in this class that should tell you it's not a one size fits all position. One team will value certain skills, others will value others. Coaching a pro style offense may not mean as much to a team, as long as you weren't running an option offense. Playing in the spread, throwing the ball, reading defenses... may be just as good, even better for some teams.

Zach got hurt, fell out of the first round. Murray got hurt, fell out of the first round. If Teddy got hurt, would he have fallen out of the first round? Why base a decision that will affect your team possibly for the next decade on the health of the guy in January?

And an ACL, not just because of what we've seen from Peterson, but they've come a long, long way in repairing ACLs. If running wasn't a big part of the QBs game... who cares?

17. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Brett Hundley to stay at UCLA; LINK

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

You'd think they said the same thing about a college football program.

The fact that it is a concern is not the problem. The fact that so many people are ignoring all of his issues should be.

As far as his size goes. If he in fact measures 6'3" (which I doubt) & weighs in over 210, I'll stop saying anything at all about his size. But if he doesn't.... I'm leaning towards pass.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Count me in the group who has told you.

Arm strength/level of competition/low delivery.

Sounds alot like the knocks on Carr minus the arm strength knock.

Tell me, how do you think TB's delivery compares to David Carr's?

20. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Taking in to account that last year was a drought year for QBs, in conjunction with 8 of the first 11 teams picking in this draft are QB needy teams, there is a high probability that there could be a strong run on QBs early.

Teams needing a QB by draft order: #1 HOU: #2 STL: #3 JAX: #4 CLE: #5 OAK; #7 TPA; #8 MIN; #11 TEN - http://www.gbnreport.com/weeklydraftorder.html

STL could also go QB with the 2nd pick in the draft. Sam Bradford has not lived up to #1 billing and is coming off ACL surgery. Bradford has a cap hit of $17 mil + in 14'. The Rams could release Bradford and save $10 mil +, a June 1 cut = more than $13 Mil + in savings, more than enough to sign the #2 pick and still be able to save a considerable amount of money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/sam-bradford/

The Mettenberger and Murray injuries does NOT necessarily drop them in the draft. In fact their respective injuries could take pressure off the teams who draft them to start them immediately. With not enough QBs to go around to QB needy teams, those teams will not want to play the waiting game and miss out on a QB they desperately need. Aaron and Zach will be ready for OTAs but there is more than enough common sense reasoning to keep them on the bench for at least half the season. This works in the coach's and QB's favor, they have a built in excuse.