Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2014 NFL Free Agent Tracker

dtran04

Veteran
I so would love a Daryl Morey type GM to have a shot in the NFL. There's no way he would touch a single one of these FA deals given out. Sign bargain bin guys at the end of the period and get boatloads of picks in the draft to find a good player.

robroy72

Rookie
Rodger Saffold failing his physical with the Raiders; $21 million in guaranteed money down the drain. Raiders now in need of an LT. He returned to the Rams to sign a 5 year deal, not sure how much for.

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Rodger Saffold failing his physical with the Raiders; $21 million in guaranteed money down the drain. Raiders now in need of an LT. He returned to the Rams to sign a 5 year deal, not sure how much for.
Raiders also need to be worried about hitting the cap floor at this point. Still have 40+ million to go. Rick needs to get on the phone ASAP

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That happened 1 day after losing Veldheer to Arizona.:kitten:

DX-TEX

#TomSavageDontCare
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer · 3m
Oh. RT @MikeSilver: Mark Davis pulled plug on Saffold deal. Could have had surgery and been ready for training camp. Mark said no
lol Raidahs!!

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Jets announced deal with former Broncos WR Eric Decker.

Jets are giving former Broncos WR Eric Decker a 5-year, $36.25M deal, including $15M gtd

Last edited:

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Denver gains Talib and loses Decker....

Good trade off?

I ain't so sure.

As I-Cak said, Denver will pay one way or another for these splashy signings.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I so would love a Daryl Morey type GM to have a shot in the NFL. There's no way he would touch a single one of these FA deals given out. Sign bargain bin guys at the end of the period and get boatloads of picks in the draft to find a good player.

So what about that poison pill contract to lin that he can't trade away and letting Dragic walk? Ariza for full mle? He makes mistakes just like any other gm.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
So what about that poison pill contract to lin that he can't trade away and letting Dragic walk? Ariza for full mle? He makes mistakes just like any other gm.
Dragic was asking for 10+ million per, Rockets signed Lin for 8M per season. That decision doesn't look all that great now with Dragic playing wonderfully, for now, but it's not a bad move by any stretch.

Ariza is averaging 15/6/3 with almost 2 steals per game while shooting 43% from the three point line this year. He's still a good defender as well. Ariza wasn't a mistake.

Morey has been beating up on other GMs since he started. Sure, he isn't perfect, but he doesn't make mistakes like other GMs do. He makes far less of them and wins the majority of his moves.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Last time I checked, the Rockets have two high end dudes signed on max contracts and two dudes overpaid on mid-level poison pill contracts. Morey would and has signed similar (arguable worse) contracts than the overpay of generic and DBs happening in the NFL.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Last time I checked, the Rockets have two high end dudes signed on max contracts and two dudes overpaid on mid-level poison pill contracts. Morey would and has signed similar (arguable worse) contracts than the overpay of generic and DBs happening in the NFL.
Except they are starters on most teams. Asik would be starting on all but maybe 5 other teams. Also, he's been injured. Lin has also been injured, but is starting to pick up his play as he gets healthier. He would start on a lot of teams as well.

If you look at all that Morey has done, it's pretty remarkable. It's strange that some don't see that. He's turned a poorly constructed team into a top level contender, full of very young players without having tanked, which seems to be the fad now.

What GM in the NBA has done a better job than Morey?

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Except they are starters on most teams. Asik would be starting on all but maybe 5 other teams. Also, he's been injured. Lin has also been injured, but is starting to pick up his play as he gets healthier. He would start on a lot of teams as well.

If you look at all that Morey has done, it's pretty remarkable. It's strange that some don't see that. He's turned a poorly constructed team into a top level contender, full of very young players without having tanked, which seems to be the fad now.

What GM in the NBA has done a better job than Morey?
OKC and Miami to start, both were worse than the Yao/T-Mac rockets. dude in Indiana has been better w/o bunches of top 5 picks and silly FA signings.

And right now he can't trade either of those bad contracts (admit he was smart not trade them poorly).

I have gone through this before with other dudes, Morey has been one the best dudes in terms on advancing analytics and seemingly like a normal/good dude, but you can't be the best GM in the league w/o significant winning.

He has set -up the Rockets for the next few years, but they have no significant actual results under Morey. I am very willing to give him a few years to finish rounding out the depth, etc around howard/harden.

-----
Back to football,

The point was that the Rockets are not constructed like the original poster claimed. They have and except for two or three of years ALWAYS had a couple of big names (even if flawed like Yao/T-Mac). Morey does have questionable contracts to ok players.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Dragic was asking for 10+ million per, Rockets signed Lin for 8M per season. That decision doesn't look all that great now with Dragic playing wonderfully, for now, but it's not a bad move by any stretch.

Ariza is averaging 15/6/3 with almost 2 steals per game while shooting 43% from the three point line this year. He's still a good defender as well. Ariza wasn't a mistake.

Morey has been beating up on other GMs since he started. Sure, he isn't perfect, but he doesn't make mistakes like other GMs do. He makes far less of them and wins the majority of his moves.
Dragic wanted 10m a year, but he ended up getting 4 years 32m for about 8.2m APY with the 4th year being a player option. Lin was going to be offered 4 years 28.8m. The structure was going to be 4.9,4.9,4.9,14m with the last year being a team option. The problem was, the 4th year didn't hit a salary cap pinch point for the Knicks, so they rearranged it, BUT it was after Dragic agreed to terms with the Suns. The Rockets were concerned that the Knicks would match the offer and didn't want to be out of a PG, so they changed it it to the 5,5,15 deal we have now.

Ariza was overpaid at the time, but he was still developing. He had some good years, but wasn't worth the 7m APY. However, Morey unloaded him for Courtney Lee, which was pretty awesome.

And of course, Morey acquired James Harden for a few picks and Kevin Martin, which was the best trade in the NBA this decade. That lead to signing Dwight Howard and becoming WCF contenders. The only GM who has done better in acquiring superstars recently would be Miami, and I think it's pretty obvious why that is.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
@AdamSchefter
Follow
Filed to ESPN: New Orleans is trading RB Darren Sproles to Philadelphia, per source.

Well that will hurt Lesean McCoy's fantasy value...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OKC and Miami to start, both were worse than the Yao/T-Mac rockets. dude in Indiana has been better w/o bunches of top 5 picks and silly FA signings.

And right now he can't trade either of those bad contracts (admit he was smart not trade them poorly).

I have gone through this before with other dudes, Morey has been one the best dudes in terms on advancing analytics and seemingly like a normal/good dude, but you can't be the best GM in the league w/o significant winning.

He has set -up the Rockets for the next few years, but they have no significant actual results under Morey. I am very willing to give him a few years to finish rounding out the depth, etc around howard/harden.

-----
Back to football,

The point was that the Rockets are not constructed like the original poster claimed. They have and except for two or three of years ALWAYS had a couple of big names (even if flawed like Yao/T-Mac). Morey does have questionable contracts to ok players.
What Morey does is sign guys and if he makes a mistake he recognizes his mistakes and moves on. Slick could learn a thing or 2 from Morey.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Buccaneers reached agreement with former Bengals OT Anthony Collins. It’s a 5-year, $30M deal, including $15M gtd.. Could mean the end of Donald Penn in Tampa.
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Jaguars are also adding Chris Clemons

Jaguars agree to deal with Ziggy Hood

Blake

MMQB
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider
Quote:
Jaguars are also adding Chris Clemons

Jaguars agree to deal with Ziggy Hood
Jaguars making some good moves IMO to beef up the O and D lines.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Pats get revis
One year rental...
While Revis' deal has a cash value of $12 million this year, as reported by ESPN, the sides added a second year to the pact. The second year is worth $20 million, a sum so large it makes it unlikely the Patriots would pay it, thus making Revis an unrestricted free agent again in 2015.

The second year helps the team spread the salary-cap charges for Revis over two seasons instead of taking one $12 million cap hit in 2014. It also eliminates the chance he could be given the franchise tag by the Patriots in 2015.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
7million this year for Revis, 5m guaranteed for next year + 20m salary. The funny thing about it is that Revis will be cut next year and free to go elsewhere, but the Pats miss out on getting a compensatory pick for him if they go that route.

Blake

MMQB
7million this year for Revis, 5m guaranteed for next year + 20m salary. The funny thing about it is that Revis will be cut next year and free to go elsewhere, but the Pats miss out on getting a compensatory pick for him if they go that route.
We payed Dead Reed 5 million for 5 starts. So who am I to say the Pats made a bad move. They might give Revis 12 million for 16-20 starts.

robroy72

Rookie
I think they can franchise him for about $12M, no?

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I think they can franchise him for about $12M, no?
No. The deal is actually 2 years, with 7m the first year, 20m the second year. 5m of the 20 is guaranteed. He has a 12m roster bonus on 4/1/2015, so he will be cut before then. You can only franchise tag players with expiring contracts.

robroy72

Rookie
Not in 2015 - he is under contract. And not in 2016 unless they keep him for 2015 and then it will be 120% of his 2015 compensation.
No. The deal is actually 2 years, with 7m the first year, 20m the second year. 5m of the 20 is guaranteed. He has a 12m roster bonus on 4/1/2015, so he will be cut before then. You can only franchise tag players with expiring contracts.
Thanks; I thought the guy on the radio this AM said they could use the FT on him... guess he was wrong or I misheard!

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Patriots Pro Bowl DT Vince Wilfork has asked that the team release him after 10 seasons in New England, according to sources.
Wow... ? (Maybe not so much)

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko
Will Wilfork get more money next year on the open market then say if he cut his pay to 5-6 million? I'm not sure.

To people outside New England this might be a surprise... but we've all known this was coming for sometime.. Esp after the achilles injury

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Rick Gosselin ‏@RickGosselinDMN
14 free agents have received contracts of $30 million or more thus far this week. 10 of them have been offensive and defensive linemen.
After giving the Giants a chance to improve their offer, DE Justin Tuck is accepting a two-year, $11 million deal with the Oakland Raiders.
Will Brinson ‏@WillBrinson
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie turned down six year, $54M from Broncos

Last edited:

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame

-----
Back to football,

I wouldn't put Miami up there, they are actually terrible at acquiring young talent. Look at their recent draft acquisitions. They got lucky that LeBron decided to join their team.

OKC, Indiana and Portland are the only other teams I would consider to be equal or better than Houston in regards to acquiring talent. So, that's top 4-5. I'd love an NFL GM that's considered top 5. That was my point.

Anyway back to football, I would be interested in Wilfork if I thought we'd actually be competitive. We aren't competitive though. All it takes is a glance at our 3-deep roster to see that we have very little talent.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
2nd year is a team option that they will obviously not use. It's basically a one-year deal. I've heard that they are already planning to extend him if he stays healthy this year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'd be all over him like white on rice if I was Crennel
It's about the money
The Patriots recently approached Wilfork about altering the final year of his contract, in which he's scheduled to earn $7.5 million and count $11.6 million against the salary cap. When a team usually approaches a player about his contract, it often means the team is looking for some type of concession

They stand to gain $8M if he's cut or traded.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Imagine our D-line if we managed to get Wilfork that would be so insane.
Would you be willing to give up 2-1, this years 7th & next years 7th for Vince & Mallet?

Throw in Derek Newton.

Think they'll bite?

drs23

Veteran
Would you be willing to give up 2-1, this years 7th & next years 7th for Vince & Mallet?

Throw in Derek Newton.

Think they'll bite?
May not have to re. Vince. Just heard on 97.5 he's formally asked NE to be released. Not budging on a pay cut. Don't sound like our wallet is fat enough at the moment. Just guessing here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
May not have to re. Vince. Just heard on 97.5 he's formally asked NE to be released. Not budging on a pay cut. Don't sound like our wallet is fat enough at the moment. Just guessing here.
If we wait 'till they release him, we won't be able to afford him. If we trade for him, he's ours for one year.

They'll get the cap relief they need/want, the 2-1 which they want, but we're not willing to give, We don't "need" Wilfork (we're not winning the Super Bowl in 2014) but he fills a hole for 2014, we've just got to eat his cap (making Schaub a June 1st cut pays for it), & we get Ryan Mallet (assuming OB wants him).

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
What happened in Oakland?

How did one team fail offensive tackle Rodger Saffold on his physical examination, while another team passed him?
What injury does Saffold really have? Based on media reports, the offensive tackle suffered a dislocated shoulder in the preseason opener at Cleveland. He missed the next preseason game, but participated in the final two as well as the entire 2013 regular season.

Medically, when a player dislocates his shoulder, the labrum is typically torn. The boney anatomy of the shoulder is like a golf ball on a tee. The ball (head of the humerus) doesn’t tend to stay on the tee (in the socket/glenoid) when the edge of the tee (labrum) is chipped.

Assuming a player at the NFL Scouting Combine was presented with such a labral tear, I would fail him on his physical, but note that he has a correctable problem. I would advise my team that he could still be drafted, but would want them aware of potential surgery. Sometimes the team stays away in these instances, while other times the team chooses to draft and fix the player immediately. A third option would be to draft the prospect and have him play through the upcoming season with a brace before considering future surgery. Each case is unique.

I don’t believe Oakland or their doctors botched this process. The Raiders just weren’t willing to ignore the pre-existing condition. I also don’t believe the Rams or Saffold were hiding anything. Clearly, the Rams believe in Saffold’s shoulder enough to re-sign him. This is just how business is conducted in the NFL.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
We may see something similar with Schaub. He is fully healed but docs/organizations could differ on whether he should be playing.

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson
LB Woodyard's Agent Tony Fleming to me: "I can confirm that Wesley Woodyard's deal with the Titans is for 4 years and worth a max of $16M."

We may see something similar with Schaub. He is fully healed but Docs/organizations could differ on whether he should be playing.
Will have to muzzle Dr. CND during the process.