2012 WR depth chart

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Rey, May 10, 2012.

1. Rey

Rey Guest

How do you see it shaking out?

Could go from a weakness to a possible strength. I don't think all the young guys will step up, but I don't think it's far fetched for two of them to do so. Does someone overtake Walter for the number two spot? Can someone step up and take even more reps from him?

Between Jones, Posey and Jean I think Walter needs to step his game up if he wants to keep his reps where theyve been.

2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Straight depth chart, I'd say:
    1- duh
    2- KW
    3- Posey
    4- Jean
    5- Martin

then maybe a 6th guy or someone like Trindon Holliday. Maybe Jeff Maehl or god forbid, Dwight Jones pulls it together makes it. Definitely going to have to play teams, whoever the 6th guy is.

But the flexibility in situations/matchups they have now are far more interesting for me. 2 WR sets, probably going to be AJ and KW, maybe sticking Posey or Jean in for Walter. 3 Wide KW can play slot and be effective while maximizing his blocking. I think Martin is going to make an impact catching over the middle and running but he might also see time flanking out wide in these sets. Idk much about Posey's slot potential but I think he'll be decent outside, the guy I'm really looking for to be #2 is Jean though. One thing for sure is the Texans definitely have the tools to go 4 wide and spread teams out. AJ and Martin on one side, Posey and Jean on the other. I think they lacked that ability last season.

3. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Kubiak said earlier in the week he'd like to add a 4th QB and another vet WR. We already added a QB so I'd expect us to sign a veteran WR sometime next week. As of right now I see it shaking out like this to start the season.

WR1: AJ
    WR2: Walter
    WR3: Posey
    WR4: Martin/Jean

This is how I see it shaking out though by mid-season

WR1: AJ
    WR2: Posey
    WR3: Jean
    WR4: Martin/Walter

Something just tells me that Walter will fall out of favor this year. We need him to be a consistent threat out there in the passing game and if he's not I can see the kids making a nice impact.

4. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

1 - AJ
    2 - KW
    3 - Lestar Jean
    4 - Devier Posey
    5 - Jeff Maehl or Dwight Jones
    6 - Keyshawn Martin

I think 1-2 of UDFA Wrs make the practice squad.

5. Rey

Rey Guest

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if Walter is an end of pre season cut.

Texans may not want to go that young, but if guys are stepping up its going to be hard to ignore that.

I expect him to be around, but like I said wouldn't be too surprised if he wasn't.

I also think there will be some injuries.

6. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Would you rather have Walter or Braylon Edwards here on a 1 year deal? I don't think its possible we go with Dre and the youngsters unless they shine in camp.

7. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Not only do I not see KW being cut, I see another vet WR being signed before camp.
    I just don't see Kubiak going into the season with that much inexperience at the position.

8. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Kubiak has already said this week he'd like to sign another vet WR. Its not a very impressive list of guys sitting out there though.

9. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

I don't know why everyone is so down on KW, but we're already thin at WR. We can't afford to cut another vet.

Starters are AJ & KW for sure.

Big time battle for the #3 spot between Jean & Posey IMO. I see Posey winning this. Posey's skill set fits that slot receiver position much better.

Jean will replace KW when he takes a series off. I see Maehl as primarily an ST guy, and may not suit up for every game. Martin will be the starting PR, and possibly KR as well.

The reason we can't cut KW is because AJ's health doesn't bode a lot of confidence in me. Can you imagine if they are both out? Can we really rely on Posey & Jean as our starting receivers?

10. Rey

Rey Guest

I'd rather have who ever is playing the best football.

And I Pretty much said that the youngsters would have to step up for kw to be cut.

11. TexansBlood

TexansBlood The CUSH!

We must sign a veteran WR, we can not have Walters an a rookie as our WR if Dre gets hurt..

12. Rey

Rey Guest

He's done it before.

Hell, the ride side of the o line isn't going to have a whole lot of game experience. And if Caldwell is beat out in camp that's even less experience. Did you think they'd cut Winston?

I'm not predicting a kw cut. What I im saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Between casey, od, Arian and Andre the number three receiver might not see a whole lot of balls anyways.

They had kw take a pay cut. What do you think would have happened if he had refused?

13. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Understood...... Seeing as we're likely to bring in a vet, I've just been curious as to who they're looking at. We're not known to make a splash receiver wise and the top 3 free agent WR are:

Braylon Edwards
    Plaxico Burress
    Roy Williams

The rest of the group includes guys like Mike Sims-Walker, Mark Clayton, and some other also-rans I can't think of. My question is are the Texans really going to bring in a guy who can push for legitimate playing time like a Braylon Edwards. Or bring in a guy like Bryant who was just good enough to hang around. The answer to that question would alter my depth chart possibly.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  14. Rey

Rey Guest

Good questions.

I have no clue what they'll do. I don't really know the cap situation and what those guys want either. If we can get a Braylon Edwards or burress for cheap, I say go for it.

But really I'm thinking that every slot behind Aj may be open for competition. I think kw is the heir apparent, but i wouldn't be shocked if they brought in a good vet wr to push him for his role on the team.

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Thats one of the reasons he is going to be sticking around. Maybe Winston would still be here if he had done the same.

Yeah they changed things up more than most expected on the O-line but the guys behind them are not rookies. Caldwell and Butler are salty vets compared to WRs 3-5 right now. No chance Walter gets cut. Who knows, maybe Kevin can regain his 07/08 form where he looked like a legit #2. Even if he doesn't I do believe he is going to outperform his numbers from last season.

16. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

If we're really pushing the whole "camp competitions" thing this year then that's exactly what we need to do. What's the point of bringing in another Bryant Johnson or David Anderson if they're not truly pushing guys? I would rather have a young guy at the back end of the receiver rotation than having a vet like Bryant Johnson.

We need a vet to come in a push Kevin Walter to step up his game or kick rocks. No offense to him because I like the guy. I would rather us have 2 veterans starting off the season and then work the younger guys in gradually so obviously I'd like to have KW as the starter the way the roster sits. Plax and Braylon can push Kevin. The problem is cap implications which I have no clue of. I'm sure that's why we'll bring in another run of the mill guy who has no chance of contributing.

17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

1. Andre the beast Johnson
    2. Pocket full of Posey
    3. Kevin can I get some love Walter
    4. Key Shawn my favorite Martin
    5. LeStar is born Jean
    6. Dwight throw me the damn football TJ Jones

GuerillaBlack likes this.
  18. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

By midseason, Dwight Jones will be the number two. He has the most potential and great tools. Posey and his crisp route running will be in the slot, and Martin as the four. Jean as the fifth. Walter cut.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

1. AJ
    2. KW
    3. Posey
    4. LeStar Jean
    5. Experienced but currently unsigned vet.
    6. Keyshawn Martin

I think Dwight Jones is good enough to keep but develops an aggravated hang nail and goes to the full pay IR island for a year so that he's not exposed to other teams by being on the PS list.

20. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I think that Walter doesn't get cut because he already renegotiated his deal.