2012 NFL Draft Game- Texans 1st rounder

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by rmartin65, May 2, 2011.

1. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I know this is early everyone, but this is just for fun. Name 3 players that you think the Texans may pick in the first round. Winner gets rep (if possible) from the other participants.

I see this as a fun way to give people targets for who to watch next year.

Now, with the intro out of the way, allow me to begin. I think that the Texans make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, and pick in the mid 20s. There, I believe the Texans look for OL help.

1) My first target for the Texans is none other than Iowa State OG Kelechi Osemele: [​IMG]
    At 6'5" 335 lbs, Osemele is a mountain of a man, with surprising agility. He plays tackle for Iowa State, but I think he will be an excellent candidate to play OG in the pros. I am telling you this now; he will grade nearly as highly as Iupati did a couple years ago. I see that kind of combination of athleticism, size, nastiness, and intelligence when I watch this player.

2) My 2nd target for the Texans is Oklahoma OC Ben Habern: [​IMG]
    While OC is not the dire need we once thought, it could stand to be upgraded in the near future.

3) My final guess is a little bit of a sleeper- Washington DT Alameda Ta'amu: [​IMG]
    At 6'3" 330 lbs, Ta'amu is more of a traditionally sized NT, so obviously this pick is contingent on Wade's "small but quick" type NT failing us. Ta'amu is down to a good weight (330 as opposed to the 350+ he was), and has a good first step.

Alright, who do you all have?

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I really have not looked very deep into 2011 college rosters, but like Ta'amu. I am looking forward to the college season even more. This draft has returned not only the hope I used to have but much of the excitement. Depending on FAs that we can only speculate on, I would like to focus next draft on a linebacker to train behind Demeco, a Dlineman to replace Smith. (It is possible that Mario will be gone after this season & Watt can replace him). I want wide receiver and as the corner spots are in such flux, I'd draft another one of those. Hopefully, of course, Harris will be a starter and KJ will be salvaged as he has the body/speed and can be re-trained. Even if McMannis is good and Carmichael develops into what I think he can be, I still want to keep rotating good young players into the corner mill. A nose like TA'amu should be on the list. I too want a solid Olineman & for now prefer an OG as I think Butler can play tackle.

BPA draft for once in our history.

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Sure like those picks, very nice 65. OL/DL are often heavy positions late in the first round used by playoff teams to fortify aging lines & protect or attack franchise QB's. I'm going out on a limb, a big heavy trunk of a limb that with Wade as our DC along with infusion of defensive prospects through 2011 draft Texans might want to target a big time weapon opposite Andre Johnson. For all the reasons why in my first Texan mock I had them selecting Julio Jones.

Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M, late 1st rd. grade, cut in the mold of Julio Jones both around 6-3 215, both similar vertical 38"-39", developing as excellent route runner & solid blocker. Coached by former Texans assistant Head Coach Mike Sherman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok4Jb1xDlLE

[​IMG]

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

None,

They will use their 2012 1st rd pick on Micheal Floyd in the supplemental draft.

Reasoning: The Texans need a deep threat opposite AJ and if the Texans dont win this yr then Rick and Gary will be gone anyway. So they take Floyd who if they make the playoffs will be a better player than anybody they could pick between 24-32 in the 2012 draft.

5. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I think we'll be pretty hot on an OLB. Barwin's still not back from his injury and I just don't expect much from Reed.

6. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

I think we go Wide Receiver next year, unless we get a great #2 in free agency. Other potential needs, NT, DE if Mario leaves, RB if Foster leaves, TE if Owen gets hurt again... lots of IFs.

Anyways, I'll throw out a few hopefuls:

Justin Blackmon WR OK State

[​IMG]

Ryan Broyles WR OU

[​IMG]

Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M

[​IMG]

Any of these guys would be great to have as a #2 in the Texans offense! Yes, the theme of the pictures was intentional :D

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

8. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

This is something I could see, something I would like to see. Floyd is very much in the mold of AJ, not quite the freak, but he is built very solidly and has good hands. If he is in the Supp. Draft, then I have absolutely no qualms taking him there. He would bring instant impact.

Now that I am thinking about it, I think this has a very good chance of happening.

9. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

Andrew Luck

10. Dutchrudder

:rake::gun::smiliepalm::brickwall:

11. Dutchrudder

Is he really worth a first round pick though? I don't think I have ever heard of any team using higher than a 3rd round pick in it.

12. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

I have heard reports of Floyd being a potential 1st round pick in 2012.
    My Top 3 for Next year would be

Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama (hopefully we do not have a chance to get him do to having a a 20ish draft pick)

Jeff Fuller WR Texas A&M (Wanted to put Justin Blackmon but think he has another monster season and gets drafted way before us. Fuller would be a very solid 2nd WR who could blossom into a 1 when Dre leaves)

Cliff Harris CB Oregon (I like Brandon Harris but dont know if he is anything more then a nickel back. Signing a veteran is a key but Harris is a very solid CB who could form a good duo with KJ)

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

2 corners? We already have a plethora of young corners on the roster, I want to stay away from the position for the next draft or two. Unless an absolute, day 1 number 1 corner drops to us.

As far as Floyd in the first- he is a first round talent, I think it is hard to dispute that. A 230 lbs receiver that can run and catch like him? Whoa, he has elite potential. While the last decade or so has not seen a lot of high supp picks, the 80's and 90's saw 7 1st round picks used.

14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I like how this man thinks!!!!!!!

15. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

I agree with you but i just feel we dont have a true 1/2 CB. We have KJ and with Quin moving to FS who is going to step in and be the 2 CB. Unless you think Harris/Carmichael are the long term solution i think they need to address the CB position one more time. Even if you sign a veteran CB how long are they going to be productive for anyway?

16. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

another name to consider is Kenny Tate S from Maryland 6'4 220. I watched him all last season and he really impressed me. Couldve been a 2nd/3rd round pick had he declared this season but decided to go back to school. Could easily become a late first round pick this season. If the Texans make the playoffs and have some success i could easily see them getting Tate who would be there and could play SS if Nolan doesnt pan out there (assuming we do not sign a S in FA such as Weddle)

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

By the end of next season & maybe before I feel we will have a clearer understanding of many of the corners now on roster. It is possible that McMannis, Jason Allen, Carmichael, Kareem Jackson, Brice McCain & ANtwan Moldin could have lost their welcome. It should be a make or break season for all but Allen. KJ is a first round but if he does not recover I can hear fans calling him Okoye. In that case the corner will remain a bleeding wound that needs to be (ad)dressed.

18. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

McManis was a low round rook last year no way he is gone. Allen was a solid CB pickup, I don't see him going anywhere. KJ would have to have another horrific year, but then again he is a first rounder, so they may give him an extra year to iron out his issues. McCain and Moulden I think are gone this year. Harris basically takes McCain's spot and Moulden is gone due to Keo taking his ST spot.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

^^^^

This

I still think a vet CB like Taylor is on the Texans radar in FA and yes, whatever vet is signed in FA will be toung enough to play for 4-5 yrs. This will allow Harris and Carmicheal time to learn the NFL game. Wish Jackson had been broken in this way and hope he hasn't been permenantly damaged. This is why CB shouldn't be a priority in the 2012 draft.

If the Texans are going to be a playoff team in 2012 then Floyd is better than any talent that would be picked late in the 1st rd. If I were Rick and Gary I would take Floyd and hope he helped save my job.

If you think the Texans are going to miss the playoffs and there will be a new HC next yr. Then passing on Floyd would be the way to go.

I would use the pick on Floyd and hope for the best. But Gary still wont be able to get the Texans to the playoffs next yr. He's a joke. IMHO

But i'm sure Wade will enjoy the talent base Gary left him.

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

There is the question of whether or not Floyd enters the supplemental draft. There is a decent chance he skips in the hopes of increasing his stock during the season.

I think with the revamped D and if the Texans do land Floyd that the playoffs are a near certainty (barring injuries), especially if we acquire a starting CB and/or starting FS in FA.

AJ and Floyd instantly become one of the most dangerous duos in the league. Both are so damn hard to tackle. Schaub can get them the ball. The OL should remain unchanged, and while it is not spectacular, it is certainly adequate. Foster and Tate should dominate again following Leach (he better be resigned), and OD and Casey/Graham/Dreeson will dominate over the middle of the field.

On D, there are a few more worries. NT is one, but the Texans have a strong set of DEs to hopefully cover for that. Linebacker is looking solid. With the FA acquisitions, I hope the defensive backfield is not a huge problem.

I am feeling pretty good about the Texans this year, and Gary would have to do a terrible job next season to curb that enthusiasm.