2011 NFL free agents: who should the Texans target?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by BetaV1, Dec 31, 2010.

1. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

In case you don't know or haven't heard the news, McNair will keep Kubiak on board so long as the defense sees "drastic changes." A pretty drastic change in itself is the shift from unproven new-comers using the Texans as their sandbox to Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator. I think, however, that we'd all be in agreement with the defense needing a more drastic change than just the coordinator.

Sure, the draft will help, but if McNair is serious about these "drastic" changes, then I assume we're going to see a fairly aggressive dive into free agency this year. Here's a list of the general defensive free agents, all via footballsfuture.com. If you could make a push to sign any number of these players, who would they be? Let's try and be realistic here though as we clearly won't get every pro-bowler on the list, as many of them will likely re-sign with their current team. (linemen and linebackers on the first post in this thread, defensive backs and safties will be on the second post) The list may be slightly out of date, but from what I've glanced at, it seems accurate. If anyone has any additions, feel free to add them.

2. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

DB's

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Other than massively overpaying (which Smithiak has never done), why would a top FA want to come to the Texans?

Winning tradition? Nope.

Great coaching? Not here.

Good Tex-Mex? OK, that's a good reason.

4. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

Hmm. What a great and clearly thought out point. It must be exactly why no superbowl winning coaches have shown legitimate interest in leading this team either.[/sarcasm]

5. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I might be naive but I think this part absolutely has to change this offseason. If Bob is going to save money by retaining Kubiak he has to hit the FA market with a vengeance. Whats the point in hiring Phillips if you are just going to handcuff him? I expect us to be heavily involved in the big name guys and I expect us to land a couple of them at least as well as a few other lesser talents.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I think we have a shot at Marcus Spears (Dallas/Wade Phillips). Don't know if that would be a good signing or not but worth a shot. He'd be cheap.

Mark Anderson - re-sign this Texan.

DTs/LBs - Don't know who I'd go after.

CB - I really want us to get Champ Bailey. I don't think Joseph/Wright will be leaving their teams.

S - I'd re-sign Pollard. We need to get someone with ballskills though. Hopefully a S from the draft AND FA. Would Landry leave Baltimore for us? He'd compete with Pollard for SS.

OJ Atogwe signed a longterm deal this summer so he's not available.

7. Yesterday

Yesterday Veteran

Antonio Smith is massively overpaid.

8. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

I'd like to see Tramon Williams as a Texan. He started in place of Al Harris and showed a lot of promise. Ironically, the Texans signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2006 only to release him before the season started.

Champ Bailey would be another fantastic addition. The only problem with him is that he might be asking too much. He's aging and not the same corner he used to be.

And PLEASE, sign a safety. A good safety with ball-hawking skills. Don't subject us, the Texans fans, to such atrocious safety play for 8 years. PLEASE.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I expected the Texans to land a big FA coach.

Smith makes $7 million a year. Overpaid, yes. But, not close to franchise $$$ (over $12 million for DEs).

The Texans did squat in an uncapped year (2010). I can't see how anyone can expect them to breakout the big checkbook in what is sure to be a capped season (2011).

10. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

...with Rick Smith gone. :kitten:

11. Redtexan#34

Redtexan#34 Rookie

Champ Bailey is getting old but would be a great pick up. Jonathan Joeseph would be a dream. A realistic guy we could get is Gabe Watson NT from Arizonahttp://www.nfl.com/players/gabewatson/profile?id=WAT365890 for Wade Philips 3-4.

12. BetaV1

BetaV1 Veteran

Tramon Williams would own so much. I'd like to have Champ Bailey, but as you mentioned, his asking price might be a bit absurd. Maybe I'm a sucker for the Packers defense, but I'd also like to nab either Cullen Jenkins or Johnny Jolly to anchor our d-line up the middle. If we're going to go 3-4, then either one of these guys is who we need to make an immediate impact.

As far as safties go, I like Quintin Mikell. The Eagles defenders are always aggressive and are typically known for their ball-hawking senses. He's shaping up to be a decent safety. My only concern is he too may be asking for much more than he's worth, and while he's an upgrade for sure, he might be over his head on his asking price. Eric Weddle in San Diego is a guy who is a very solid-to-borderline excellent player who isn't getting as much recognition as some other big name safties such as Darren Sharper, but the dude can be had a very good price and is a guy we shouldn't sleep on if he hits the market. I'd be excited to have him.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Bill Cowher is a FA

14. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Fitz Has one more year i wouldnt mind some how getting him up in here along with TO :kitten: :P

FItz/AJ

with TO and KW on da bench

we would have the best WR core EVER !!

i was glancing over the F/a not alot of big names but prob alot of solid players IMO

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Understandable, with such talent as Petey Faggins, Lewis Sanders, Dexter McCleon, and Dexter Wynn on the roster.

16. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Found this interesting about the CBA mess.

LINK

17. TexanAggie89

TexanAggie89 Rookie

Haloti Ngata and Chad Greenway should be our TOP priority...with champ bailey being wayyyyy 2nd.

18. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

If there is a lockout, there is no player movement. Is that correct?

19. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

No one. If they are decent, being a Texan will just make them regress.

20. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Good luck with that. McNair is doing the least he possibly can to affect change and still call it change.